Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Gt 2.0 Cabriolet

rob pike

Just bought a 1995 Gt cabriolet and was looking for some original parts for it. The car has had a few after market parts put on it ie steering wheel that i would like to turn back to original.

Have done the eBay thing but not to much evail.

ps: have been assured this is a uk model, is there an easy way to tell,

If it's a japper the clocks should be in km, there will be stickers with jap writing on them in the bay, also if the timing belt was changed in Japan it will have a jap garage sticker or writing on the cam cover. Also jappers have square plates.

Cheers

Just checked all and in english. went to garage to check and they gave the hint to look at seat belts and there tags.

no japanese writing on them so am 100% sure it is uk model.

would be nice to know how many uk cars of this model was made.

would be nice to know how many uk cars of this model was made.

250 imported to the UK in 1995 apparently. And the price was huge - £28K compared with about £17K for an ST Coupe.

hi Rob uk cars have headlight washers and a little spoiler at back of bonnet ,imports dont have this

i have the 1995 cabriolet as well, its pretty easy to tell its a jap car, theres even japanese writing on the sun visors! ive managed to get a few original parts imported from (rather strangely) Germany through Mr T

thanks guys confirmed mine is a uk model now. just trying to sort a few things out with it now.

roof motor is making the right noise but not moving the roof, any clues?

Yes it's broken :D

Open it up and you'll probably see. On mine, it was a drive pin on the pinion. Find the broken bits. The pinion can be drifted off the shaft if you're careful for better access to the stump left in the shaft. It's possibly supposed to be a shear pin, but I replaced mine with a drill shank of the right diameter. However, this also broke, so next time (on both sides) I used an allen key filed to be a tight fit in the shaft and it's been fine for the last couple of years. Otherwise you can ask Mr T to replace the motors - I was quoted £600 .

Super car

And its almost impossible to find sunroof parts for it, not sure about a motor but you wont get any genuine roof parts

Kingo :thumbsup:

And its almost impossible to find sunroof parts for it, not sure about a motor but you wont get any genuine roof parts

Kingo :thumbsup:

I got a front clamp for the roof from a main dealer no probs (except a bit slow - comes from USA, but only about 20 quid). Bit scary when one lets go at speed, disastrous if both go - quick grab for the roof before you leave it behind! :o

• 4 weeks later...

I have a UK spec Gen 6 Convertible.. and I've been told.. not sure how true it is.. that imports don't have a fitted 'spoiler' on the front of the bonnet.. Not even sure if this is the proper name for it, but I'm sure some of you know what i'm talking about. I've been told it prevents the bonnet from flying up at high speed... maybe they just think England is a windy place!! :)

thanks guys confirmed mine is a uk model now. just trying to sort a few things out with it now.

roof motor is making the right noise but not moving the roof, any clues?

The Convertible actually has 2 motors.. running in conjunction with each other.. If the roof is not moving but you can still hear the sound then it is possible that one of the motors is still in operation. However, trying to raise the roof on this motor only will damage the framework if it hasn't already. Convertibles are also prone to the framework snapping at the rear near the back seats due to one or other of the motors failing while the roof is being raised. Also be aware that extra pressure put on the windows etc from broken framework can cause problems with the automatic windows at the rear of the car.. only on the verts, not the coupes.. There is a small round white plastic holder that fits the glass within this mechanism, and if broken is near on impossible to get replaced...

Ahh the joys of going topless.. it's still worth it though!! :)

• 1 month later...

after all this time i managed to take the part apart and to my relief found it to be the pin on each side, does anyone know where to get these pins from as my toyota garage say they can only get the whole motor at £163 each, or is it a case of making them myself.

• 1 year later...
after all this time i managed to take the part apart and to my relief found it to be the pin on each side, does anyone know where to get these pins from as my toyota garage say they can only get the whole motor at £163 each, or is it a case of making them myself.

Not sure what the pin looks like, but if it is a 'roll-pin' ie like a tube formed from hardened steel with a slit down the side, you'll get them at any bearing factor.

Failing that, masonary nails are very hard!