Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hilux 07

flash gordon

HI, CAN ANYONE HELP? I HAVE A 2007 HILUX INVICIBLE.WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD OR UNDER LIGHT LOAD CONDITIONS,THERE IS A KNOCKING SOUND FROM THE ENGINE.IF IT WERE A PETROL YOU WOULD SAY IT WAS PINKING.THE DEALER HAS PUT IN NEW INJECTORS BUT STILL THE PROBLEM EXSISTS.THEY HAVE NOW TOLD ME TO USE A HIGHER CETANE FUEL TO SEE IF THIS HELPS.BUT SURELY I SHOULD BEABLE TO FILL UP WITH NORMAL DERV.HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS?HEEEEELP.!!!!!! THANKS GORDON.

Could your problems be the same as that mentioned here :unsure:

HI STEVE,THANKS FOR REPLYING.THE PREVIOUS POSTS ARE A LITTLE CONFUSING.VARIOUS DEGREES OF NOISEY ENGINES.IT SEEMS THEY DO HAVE A NOISE PROBLEM.MY TRUCK HAS ONLY DONE 23K SO I THINK VALVE CLEARANCES SHOULD BE OK.THE LEVEL OF NOISE IS SUCH THAT IT SOUNDS AS IF A BIG END IS KNOCKING UNTILL IT WARMS UP. I WILL BE VERY DISAPOINTED IF THIS IS A USUAL FAULT THAT TOYOTA CANNOT CURE.HIGHER CETANE FUEL AND NEW INJECTORS MADE NO DIFFERENCE.IF THIS IS A COMMON FAULT WHY WAS THE VEHICLE TOTALLY QUIET WHEN NEW? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.GORDON.

Hi

I have a 3 Litre Hilux Vigo (Import), had it for 2 years & it rattles on start up every morning (rattle cuts in about 1500rpm & dissapears after 2200rpm) settles down when engine has warmed up. Like you I was really worried when I first got the Vigo as I thought it had something major wrong with it. I got the pickup via a 'mate' in the Garage trade, he has supplied several Hilux Imports over the last couple of years & says that they are all like that. He thinks its something to do with the 'common rail diesel'

Hope this helps

Tony

• 1 month later...

Flash, Hows your cold rattle doing.

I have a Hilux Invincible 3.0 D4D Truck the same as yours its on a 07 plate and it has only done about 5,000 miles and the same rattle has just started. Funny thing is I have worked on cars in my past and I was trying to explain to someone and I came up with the same discription as yours like a pinking petrol engine. Its worst between 1500 & 2000 RPM when cold. Toyota have it right now and they say they can't find anything wrong. Well my view is it didn't do when I bought the Truck its only started in the last month.

Anyone got any ideas I am very dispointed if this normal on a Toyota.

Cowboy-76

I read a new bulletin at work for the injector knock on HILUX last week. Im pretty sure we are now to check the injector data on each injector and any that are outside the recommended range need replacing (or sending off for testing if within the ranges) Also there is a new ECU flash available for HILUX.

I will try and remember to have another look tomorrow as some of the info above maybe wrong (so much info to try and remember for each model toyota lol)

UK diesel doesnt really help, the stuff in other countries is said to be alot better with less impurities/particles in it. Newer injectors have very fine tolerances and these can easily become blocked/clogged with dodgy fuel.

Mart.

• 3 months later...
I read a new bulletin at work for the injector knock on HILUX last week. Im pretty sure we are now to check the injector data on each injector and any that are outside the recommended range need replacing (or sending off for testing if within the ranges) Also there is a new ECU flash available for HILUX.

I will try and remember to have another look tomorrow as some of the info above maybe wrong (so much info to try and remember for each model toyota lol)

UK diesel doesnt really help, the stuff in other countries is said to be alot better with less impurities/particles in it. Newer injectors have very fine tolerances and these can easily become blocked/clogged with dodgy fuel.

Mart.

well bugger me if this topic wasnt being discussed on a message board in New Zealand yesterday

Mart.

well bugger me if this topic wasnt being discussed on a message board in New Zealand yesterday

mine does it too, but its also started to stall when it feels like it. I've tried to work out if there is a certain time that it does it and only seems to be when cold. Its done 22000miles

• 4 weeks later...

Mart.

mine does it too, but its also started to stall when it feels like it. I've tried to work out if there is a certain time that it does it and only seems to be when cold. Its done 22000miles

Before I bought my new Hilux 3.0 Hl3, I of course had a test drive in one.

The demonstater I drove made a terrible noise until it had warmed up. The noise was, as previously described on this thread, as a kind of loud pinking noise. This was very intrusive and would have put me off buying one but the salesman warned me about the noise and explained what it was and how it would be cured.

He said there were some faulty injecters which were going to be replaced with modified and more up to date injecters.He said this was a fault that was known to Toyota and that the modified injecters was Toyota's solution.

Having ordered my Hilux and having traded in my Land Rover, I was lent the same Hilux demonstrater for a couple of weeks. I was only lent the Hilux after the new injecters had been fitted and the problem was completely solved. The engine was very quiet. It was hard to believe it was the same vehicle.

The trouble is not all dealers are the same. Not all dealers can be trusted to solve problems or to care about solving problems.

I deal with Gordon Lamb Toyota in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. I have to say they have been superb. They have a very good reputation for sorting any warranty issues quickly and without any fuss.

I had a tiny bit of clutch judder when setting off in first gear. It was only noticable when pulling away up hill.

I mentioned this to them and straight away they said this was not acceptable and fitted a new clutch plate.

If anyone here has not had this injecter fault sorted out properly, I would suggest trying another dealer.

Hi,

This is a well knows "case" but the solution is real simple. Change engine oil. My lux was exactly like this and I thought something was very wrong with the engine since I have driven many Toyota's in my time. Asked my nearest dealer(which sucks), but they told me that is the way it suppose to be. I could not believe it, so I drove the car for a short while before I changed the engine oil. I use a real cheap NN synthetic 5W-40 oil, but the noise was instantly gone. Now I get the same noise if I drive to long before oil change. 30.000Km is way to much IMHO, so I change engine oil about every 10-12.000Km(I can hear quite clearly when its time to change oil).

Smaug

My ECU has been read by the garage i bought mine off (sampsons) and they;ve told me its showing a low fuel pressure from one of the sensors, it goes into the dealer on Friday

Hi, my 07 3.0 d4d invincible had the same rattle, once ambient temp got below 10c the engine had a severe detenation/diesel knock untill engine warm, new injectors cured completetely :) :)

• 3 weeks later...
HI, CAN ANYONE HELP? I HAVE A 2007 HILUX INVICIBLE.WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD OR UNDER LIGHT LOAD CONDITIONS,THERE IS A KNOCKING SOUND FROM THE ENGINE.IF IT WERE A PETROL YOU WOULD SAY IT WAS PINKING.THE DEALER HAS PUT IN NEW INJECTORS BUT STILL THE PROBLEM EXSISTS.THEY HAVE NOW TOLD ME TO USE A HIGHER CETANE FUEL TO SEE IF THIS HELPS.BUT SURELY I SHOULD BEABLE TO FILL UP WITH NORMAL DERV.HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS?HEEEEELP.!!!!!! THANKS GORDON.

I had exactly the same problem by the sounds of it. Has your engine got considerably noisier combined with lower mpg and lack of power

mine had the computer fiddled with and it made the noise 70% quieter but Toyota New Zealand are having problems getting replacement injectors

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 57 plate 3.0lt, rattles on start up every morning, but i have just spent 6 weeks in Spain with it and it never rattled in the morning over there once, may be it was because it was warmer or the fuel is better...

• 2 months later...

had this problem on my 3 ltr d4d 07, have just had the injectors replaced, ecu update done, took two days, all done under warranty, brilliant no rattel its been -2 all week sillent, but............. you do have to get pushey over this its taken me to complaning to the highest level and changing dearlers, but its worth it and does 31-34 mpg full of work gear,

• 2 months later...
Hi,

This is a well knows "case" but the solution is real simple. Change engine oil. My lux was exactly like this and I thought something was very wrong with the engine since I have driven many Toyota's in my time. Asked my nearest dealer(which sucks), but they told me that is the way it suppose to be. I could not believe it, so I drove the car for a short while before I changed the engine oil. I use a real cheap NN synthetic 5W-40 oil, but the noise was instantly gone. Now I get the same noise if I drive to long before oil change. 30.000Km is way to much IMHO, so I change engine oil about every 10-12.000Km(I can hear quite clearly when its time to change oil).

Smaug

Oh god not that long, I worked with two Technical Mech from TAFE NSW that both worked at Toyota for a number of year and they say every 5000kms. If you do this you will never have any problems! The noise is fine, it is just a diesel warming up, it does go. I do make noise when I get up in the morning too. :-)

• 10 months later...

got this problem on an auris 2.0 D4D, just had new injectors and problem still present!!!!! used the super diesel for months and it made no difference still sounded terrible at 1800/2500 revs only when cold, this all started after ECU remapping for emissions last may, prior to this being done it was a great car without the pinking, if you have found out what the problem is i would love to know then i can tell my toyota garage how to fix it. many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

hi ,, i have 1995 hilux surf 3.0 ssrx ,, i have engine rattle when starting up from cold only last,s a few seconds then it,s ok for the rest of the day ,, it only does it when starting from cold ,,, but i do,nt have this problem in summer ,, so i think it just might be the freezing weather ,, now i use Castrol magnetic engine oil ,, has gone a bit quieter ,,, ,,,

• 1 year later...

Well i was just talking to Toyota in New Zealand as im having the same rattling noise when engine is cold, but then disappears when engine is warm. They told me I would have to get the injectors cleaned and see how that goes. If it was still noisy they would look at replacing the injectors at a cost of $4000 as the warranty has run out.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if using BG244 in the fuel would help at all? :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I have a 2006 model Hilux 4D4 2.5 L diesel. At 30,000kms it would stall just after starting, but ceased to do this after a service (no cause reported).

At 65,000 kms the problem returned, and the vehicle went in for the 75,000km service as planned, August 2011.

Toyota presented an estimate for Euros 4,423 to change the injectors (and the four seals). Toyota (France) claims they have no record of other injection problems .......... and not really interested as we are past the 3 year guarantee. They do confirm however that the Hilux do have the same copper seal and injectors as in the LC5, which are covered by a recall ... apparently the Hilux changed over to aluminium seals with the 2008 model.

I would be very interested to have contact with anyone in a similar situation where Toyota has accepted responsibility. It is noted on some forums that Toyota has accepted to change the parts under extened guarantee, and other sites where frustrated owners are really not happy ... seems to depend on which national Toyota that administers the local garages

Many Thanks for any help

Giles

• 4 years later...

It's an old topic, I know, but I'm a recent Hilux 3.0 D4D owner. Mine's on an 07 plate and I'm getting the exact problem as detailed above. Noisy when cold, runs sweet as a nut when it's been running for a while. 

I was wondering if there's any updated info on this issue? I've read some articles that speak about similar symptoms, but with cracked cylinders as the cause😕! 

It had been a company motor, which had been mistreated and not services as often as it should. So, since buying the truck I've flushed the crank case with 3 oil & oil filter changes at 200 mile intervals with sea foam additive to help clear carbon deposits and then a full service. The knocking got slightly quieter and the engine runs a lot smoother in general, but I'm just concerned something more sinister is lurking!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Shep 👍🏻