Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Misting In 06 Avensis Tourer

AlistairM

We've just bought a diesel t3-x tourer but have major problems with the windows steaming up when going any distance. The only way to solve it seems to be to run it with the aircon on all the time which ain't great for the fual consumption. Any suggestions?? We never use recirc and putting the climate on without the aircon on causes the worst prblem.

We've just bought a diesel t3-x tourer but have major problems with the windows steaming up when going any distance. The only way to solve it seems to be to run it with the aircon on all the time which ain't great for the fual consumption. Any suggestions?? We never use recirc and putting the climate on without the aircon on causes the worst prblem.

Hi Alistair

Although your car is relatively new, it seems your cabin filter may need replacing.

When it becomes clogged it limits the airflow to the screen.

It's behind the glove compartment if you want to check/ replace it.

I use my air con plenty and don't notice any big difference in economy, in fact you should use it now and again anyway as it lubricates the seals.

Same with my 55 plate, tend to be mainly when its wet outside and with full of passengers. I find that I have to run it on the 'de-mist' setting, this quickly clears the windows. Could be filter but I also think that many modern cars almost needs to have the a/c on.

I am not sure where the vents are at the back but it is as if the air can not flow through the car properly (front to back). The old Volvo was great, huge air outlets in the boot area, hardly ever had any problems. A friend has a Golf and its mental, he has had it checked but this is apparently the way they should be ie he has to use a/c most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that folks - guess it's just the way it is!!

Same with my 55 plate, tend to be mainly when its wet outside and with full of passengers. I find that I have to run it on the 'de-mist' setting, this quickly clears the windows. Could be filter but I also think that many modern cars almost needs to have the a/c on.

I am not sure where the vents are at the back but it is as if the air can not flow through the car properly (front to back). The old Volvo was great, huge air outlets in the boot area, hardly ever had any problems. A friend has a Golf and its mental, he has had it checked but this is apparently the way they should be ie he has to use a/c most of the time.

I have the same problem with mine but it is a 2002 1.8 Avensis hatchback. Originally there was not a misting problem but now even with the back window can sometimes be misted up before getting into the car. The problem is caused by water leaking into the boot, which looking at this website is not an uncommon problem with both new and older models.

Look under your boot carpet and check for water around the spare tyre and in the inner wings (on mine the jack is stored on the right hand side under the carpet, in a little 'well', which has a small hole at the side to let the water in from the inner wing). There would appear to be a number of reaons why, one I have seen is the seals around the rear lights & the bolts not being tight, but the other one, which is the problem I have is the roof is letting in water via the gutters.

Good luck and I hope you resolve the issue