Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Problems On A 53 Plate T3

jstallan

Hi,

From what I've read so far in these forums, it seems like clutch problems are rather common with the Yaris. At the moment we have a 53 plate 1.0 T3 Yaris. We purchased it second hand in January 2006 from an independant dealer for £6000 and I think it had 16,000 miles on the clock.

In April 2006 we noticed a problem with the clutch making a 'squarking ' sound when pulling away in first gear. Took the car to the main dealer and the clutch was replaced under warranty.

In Dec 2006, the problem occured again (although my wife had been complaining about it since the summer of 2006). Again the car went back to the dealer were the clutch was replaced under warranty

In December 2007 the car went back again to the dealer for another clutch replacement. This time, they also replaced and oil seal that was leaking (where, I have no idea!).

January 2008 - The problem is back, but worse. The 'squarking' is still there, plus there is a noise when the car is running but in neutral which to me sounds like a thrust bearing noise. To cap it all, there is an oil leak by the front nearside wheel.

The noises only seem to occur while the engine is cold/cool.

I took the car back to the main dealer today where a technician test drove the car and could not find anything wrong apart from the oil leak (another seal). I have little confidence in :-

a) the main dealers ability to identify faults

B) the reliability of Toyota's parts

Anybody got any advice

Hi, i have the same model as you, and my clutch makes the 'squarking' noise, but i've never thought anything of it, it's just a noise.

I put DW40 on it and it stopped, it comes back every so often though, it's just one of those annoying things that i've got used to.

Good Luck

Sim :thumbsup:

The clutches were modified so you should'nt keep getting the noise, the drive shaft oil seal in the gearbox is probably leaking, due to the drive shafts being removed so often :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi, i have the same model as you, and my clutch makes the 'squarking' noise, but i've never thought anything of it, it's just a noise.

I put DW40 on it and it stopped, it comes back every so often though, it's just one of those annoying things that i've got used to.

Good Luck

Sim :thumbsup:

Whereabouts do you spray WD40 ??? Can you post a picture ?

The clutches were modified so you should'nt keep getting the noise, the drive shaft oil seal in the gearbox is probably leaking, due to the drive shafts being removed so often :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Can you advise on the part number of the modified clutch ?

Is the creeking noise comming from around the pedal area when the engine is off and the clutch is pressed? Or is it only aparent when the engine is running? If it happens when the engine is NOT running, then it is the clutch master cylinder that is faulty. Again, this is a common fault that can be fixed under warranty

Is the creeking noise comming from around the pedal area when the engine is off and the clutch is pressed? Or is it only aparent when the engine is running? If it happens when the engine is NOT running, then it is the clutch master cylinder that is faulty. Again, this is a common fault that can be fixed under warranty

Only happens when the engine is running (and generally cold), and the noise is definately from the front nearside

Ok that rules out the master cylinder. If the oil leak is not from the driveshafts, it could possibly be a gearbox input shaft oil seal. If it is and the oil has found its way onto the clutch plate, then it will cause a judder/noise etc. If it is this seal that is leaking, no amont of clutch re-newing will fix the problem permenently, cos oil will keep getting on the clutch. It is very hard to say without actuly seeing the car.

Oh just reading above posts. Just because they have already re-newed a seal before dont mean it aint leaking there again. Something MADE it leak last time. Theres every chance that it could be leaking again if they did not find out "why" and just replaced the seal. Toyota gearbox`s are notorious for pressurising up inside when the oil gets warm. The gearbox breathers get jammed. This presurising makes the oil leak out at the weakest point....oil seals. Thus creating clutch judders.

Ok that rules out the master cylinder. If the oil leak is not from the driveshafts, it could possibly be a gearbox input shaft oil seal. If it is and the oil has found its way onto the clutch plate, then it will cause a judder/noise etc. If it is this seal that is leaking, no amont of clutch re-newing will fix the problem permenently, cos oil will keep getting on the clutch. It is very hard to say without actuly seeing the car.

Oh just reading above posts. Just because they have already re-newed a seal before dont mean it aint leaking there again. Something MADE it leak last time. Theres every chance that it could be leaking again if they did not find out "why" and just replaced the seal. Toyota gearbox`s are notorious for pressurising up inside when the oil gets warm. The gearbox breathers get jammed. This presurising makes the oil leak out at the weakest point....oil seals. Thus creating clutch judders.

Latest update :-

Car returned on Monday for the seal replacement - which they did. They also agreed that there was a noise coming from the gearbox area and consulted Toyota Tech Support (TTS). TTS confirmed that a replacement 'modified' clutch is required to address the issue. The local Toyota garage admitted they had not used a modified clutch in the previous replacements.

So the car returns on Monday for it's 5th Clutch in 4yrs - but this time I hope it cures the problem.

Latest update :-

Car returned on Monday for the seal replacement - which they did. They also agreed that there was a noise coming from the gearbox area and consulted Toyota Tech Support (TTS). TTS confirmed that a replacement 'modified' clutch is required to address the issue. The local Toyota garage admitted they had not used a modified clutch in the previous replacements.

So the car returns on Monday for it's 5th Clutch in 4yrs - but this time I hope it cures the problem.

Ok - so the car returned for a new modified clutch, plate and bearing. They had a few problems with getting bolts out - don't know why as the threads must be well worn by now considering the number of times they've had the damm gearbox out - which meant they kept it overnight and gave my wife a free courtesy car (new Yaris, which I fully expected her to say she loved and wanted one, but she didn't!!). Collected the car Tuesday afternoon and all seemed fine. This morning was a cold one here in Leigh-on-Sea and I fully expected to hear the noises return (from the wife complaining about the car!!) but they didn't - so it seems like things might have been resolved at long last, I sincerely hope so!.

Hi, if you don't mind me asking,

how much did it cost for the modified clutch and labour to get rid of the squeak

Cheers

Sim

Didn't have to pay thank god. The dealer was trying to resolve a fault that was reported in April 2006 while the car was still under manufacturers warranty...

Just recieved the Customer Satisfaction Survey through the post this morning :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links