Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

St162 Tuning

CarinaII

Hi Guys. I've got an E reg Celica ST162 with the Gen 1 3S-GE. Although it goes well, I'm after a bit more power, so I'm wondering what are the best things do. I've put NGK Iridium plugs in, magnecor HT leads, a new cap and arm and a Green cotton air filter. I'm wondering what the next stop would be. I was thinking of a nice free flowing back box and an exhaust manifold off a gen 2 or 3 3S-GE, as they look a bit more substantial, with a straight-though pipe in between.

The timing is at 10 deg at the moment as per factory spec, i'm wondering if its worth advancing it and unplugging the knock sensor (does it even have one)

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me, please let me know.

Cheers.

hi mate, quite rare things are gen4's, we only have a handful here and over on TOC! so it may take a while to get info :)

I can't really say as i've never had a 162, but i'll have a crack at it anyway.

As you say, they have a cast manifold, so if a gen5 one would fit, it will help as its a tubular steel 4-2, but you will need the downpipe too which takes it from 2-1.

If the design of the exhaust is the same of the gen5, there will be a couple of resonator boxes only in the centre section, and the rear box will do all the silencing. If thats the case, a freeflow backbox will make it nice and revvy top end, but low/mid grunt will be worse. Well thats what happened on my gen5 anyway, when I had a stock system and bolted on a straight through rifle bolt backbox with a 3" pipe. It woke the dead in the county next door though.

I'm not familiar with the management either, but if its similar to a gen 5 you can get piggyback ignition and fuel controllers to tweak your maps. The main cost involved in this is rolling road time.

If you want to go a bit crazier then its lumpy cams time i suppose- if off the shelf ones arent avaliable, then piper can regrind cams.

I suppose the best way would be to throw it all in the bin and drop in a rev3, but it depends on budget / time / skills etc.

Hope this helps

Is the Rev 3 the 173 bhp one? I assume the mountings are the same, so it would pose no problem to drop one of those in. As mine is an E reg model, i'd be getting rid of the cat from the rev 3, and i've read that removing the EGR can produce some more horses, so that would be nice, and i should be looking at over 180 bhp then? The only thing that concerns me about that is the wiring. Can i use my existing wiring, or will i need to change the whole loom, in which case, how difficult would it be, and if i'm going to go to that trouble, i may as well drop a 3S-GTE in???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links