Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 7 Year 2000 140 Vvti Celica Engine Rebuild Cost So Far

whitey_205

hi all!my fiance recently purchased a gen 7 celica 140.theres 80,000miles on the car,engine was sweet as a nut and it has a good service history.I made her well aware of the oil consumption issue when she got it and told her to keep it well topped up.well, the inevitable happened and she ran it completely dry of oil.in all fairness to her the oil light didnt come on for some reason.I got into it last week to move it and the bearings where knocking like a ***** when i started it.pulled the stick out to find it was bone dry.as everwhere is looking £1000 for a donkey,(not reconed!) i decided to rebuild it myself.pulled the sump off her , and number 4 big end bearings where a mess,rest of them where ok.Not a fun job getn the engine out!!took me a day and a half due to loads of seized bolts.near every bolt was a pull bar job to remove,not to mention the amount of rotten bolts that just sheared the heads off!have the whole engine out and stripped now,and it seems everything else is ok lucky enough.however,this is one expensive lesson for the missus!!!!I thought i'd be as well just fully reconditioning the whole engine seeing as its on the bench now anyway.here's what its cost her so far (not including my time of which there's been plenty of!!!).all parts are genuine toyota, except competition bearings of course

crank polish, competition main and big end bearings(including thrust washers) - £130

full engine gasket kit - £130

piston rings - £70

conrod cap bolts and main bearing bolts (must be replaced) - £70

oil pump - £80

1 head bolt (didnt like the look of one of them,wasnt buyin full set at that price!!!) - £9

on top of all this there's still the engine oil,gearbox oil,clutch fluid,anti freeze,filters,air con to re-charge,and god only knows what else i'll come across by the time its built.the engineering place said id be as well putting the new oil pump in as they're known to give problems.he was no stranger to the vvti oil problem! I have the head sitting pin mint inside and out.cleaned all the ports up like new,same with the valves and ground them back in to make lovely fresh valve seats.I'm hoping the new rings and freshly ground in valves will give it brand new compression readings again and all being well put a stop to the oil consumption problem for a good few years,as she still loves the car and wants to keep it.even though she cried for about 3 days last week over it lol.

I'll post again soon when i have the engine fully built and running.waiting on all the bearing bolts still as toyota had some problems working out what crankshaft main bearing bolts where?? lol !! the guy in parts department tried to tell me there are no bolts holding the crank in except the flywheel bolts and the pulley bolt lol lol lol. oh i laughed......

Thats my decision made then, facelift all the way!

Isnt the problem caused by the pistons ovaling over time though? I presume you're going to put new pistons in as well as rings?

Sounds like a right mess mate, at least you know what you're doing - just glad I found out about this issue before taking the plunge.

Good luck!

G

all the engineering people i talked to said its the rings excessivly wearing that causes the oil consumption m8.pistons look ok.didnt even price them either, but normally pay 400 - 500 quid for set of pistons.i'm sure toyota would want silly money for a set.didn't fancy forkin out for them wether it needs them or not lol.

i knew they use a bit of oil when she went to buy it,but it went from full on dipstick to no oil on stick at all within 3000miles.scary stuff.hopefully the new rings at least reduce the consumption a bit.

good luck m8,hope you find yourself a good one :)

if it's the rings that are the problem surely there's some form of uprated ones?

i asked toyota bout that m8,but if you've ever had to order parts from them you'll know where i'm comin from when i say,id be better off askin my granny.they look up part numbers and thats it.not very helpful at all.engineering place couldnt get uprated ones either.if i get 80,000miles out of these ones i've put in i'll be happy enough.get er sold in a couple of years and buy a nice fresh facelift model vvtli :D

if it's the rings that are the problem surely there's some form of uprated ones?

i asked toyota bout that m8,but if you've ever had to order parts from them you'll know where i'm comin from when i say,id be better off askin my granny.they look up part numbers and thats it.not very helpful at all.engineering place couldnt get uprated ones either.if i get 80,000miles out of these ones i've put in i'll be happy enough.get er sold in a couple of years and buy a nice fresh facelift model vvtli :D

Hi Mate

if you havent put it back together yet,you want to drill out 2 extra oil holes in the main gallery of the block straight into the sump,its very easy to do and i will send you some pics of where to drill(this will help the oil circulate) any help you need pm me and i will give you any help you need.Ive done 3 of these now,should be able to complete the whole job in 2 days.Anyone else who wants this job doing let me know,can give you a good price

good luck

hi all,

i've just got my 140 back on the road after replacing the engine. Was intending to rebuild it, however when I took the head off it the bores were in hell of a state, so decided against it. Managed to get an MR2 engine from TCB (thanks!) for £750 (+vat). it's all in now (cost me another £750 including new clutch, air-con etc etc) but it's all running smooth (touch wood!) One small problem i've found is that the climate control now only pumps out warm air as opposed to really hot air when it's turned up to hot. I was wondering if maybe the thermostat is knackered (or different from MR2 to celica) but the temp gauge seems to say its running at the right temperature, oh well happy days !!!

I'll certainly be keeping an eagle eye on the oil levels from now on !!!

S.

in all fairness to her the oil light didnt come on for some reason.

The oil light is an oil pressure light, not oil level.

If it was to come on because of low pressure due to low level, then the engine would have been shagged anyway.

The oil light will only come on at a VERY LOW pressure compared to operating pressure, i.e. if the light comes on, stop ASAP!

whitey_205' date='Jan 16 2008, 06:10 PM' post='712031'

all the engineering people i talked to said its the rings excessivly wearing that causes the oil consumption m8.pistons look ok.didnt even price them either, but normally pay 400 - 500 quid for set of pistons.i'm sure toyota would want silly money for a set

4 x Genuine pistons £181.23 Inc VAT

1 x Set of pistons AND rings £267.72 Inc VAT

The only trouble is........If the bore is ovaled at all, or excessive wear in the bore, you're :censor: 'd You can only buy standard pistons and rings, no oversized bits available, in other words, it cant be bored

Kingo :thumbsup:

whitey_205' date='Jan 16 2008, 06:10 PM' post='712031'

all the engineering people i talked to said its the rings excessivly wearing that causes the oil consumption m8.pistons look ok.didnt even price them either, but normally pay 400 - 500 quid for set of pistons.i'm sure toyota would want silly money for a set

4 x Genuine pistons £181.23 Inc VAT

1 x Set of pistons AND rings £267.72 Inc VAT

The only trouble is........If the bore is ovaled at all, or excessive wear in the bore, you're :censor: 'd You can only buy standard pistons and rings, no oversized bits available, in other words, it cant be bored

Kingo :thumbsup:

thats mighty cheap m8!! i wonder have toyota lowered the prices for the parts for these engines because of all the problems they have?

didn't think it would be a block you could bore by lookin at it.the bore looks perfect.i'll chance my arm with the bits i've put in anyway m8.running out of money fast lol.

thanks!!! :D

in all fairness to her the oil light didnt come on for some reason.

The oil light is an oil pressure light, not oil level.

If it was to come on because of low pressure due to low level, then the engine would have been shagged anyway.

The oil light will only come on at a VERY LOW pressure compared to operating pressure, i.e. if the light comes on, stop ASAP!

strange an engine like that not havin an oil level sensor though,considering how many other sensors there are about it.would have expected a wee flicker out of the oil pressure light considering she was pretty much bone dry though.

thanks ... :)

• 1 month later...

hi i bought a 2001 toyota celica privately with the 140bhp vvti engine with 78000 miles on the clock and i was goin home to ireland with it but 20 miles from the ferry terminal in holyhead wales the engine started making an awfol sound like metal grinding then the oil light came on with the engine management light and then the whole thing seized up and the car stopped i know ive been conned rotten,i did notice the car was not accelerating at all in 6th or 5th gear,it would not accererate at all past 70mph,i had to leave to get the car towed to local garage by he rac for £90 then get a taxi to get to the ferry home,the rac guy tried to move my car while it was in gear and it would not move in any gear,what do u think has happened to my engine and can u help me in any way to rebuild it,how much would a replacement engine cost me--any help would be greatly appreciated as i have no transport now and my celica is stuck in wales,i can travel back over to england to getit sorted

Hi Mate

if you havent put it back together yet,you want to drill out 2 extra oil holes in the main gallery of the block straight into the sump,its very easy to do and i will send you some pics of where to drill(this will help the oil circulate) any help you need pm me and i will give you any help you need.Ive done 3 of these now,should be able to complete the whole job in 2 days.Anyone else who wants this job doing let me know,can give you a good price

good luck

• 2 years later...

hey every one, i have got a celica gen 7 2002 and my engine block is knocked and broken by one of the conrod if this is the one , so the cylinder block is has got a big hole on it . i imagine it was oil problem as the stick was dry when i checked it .

now mechanic reckon i need to get a whole engine ,and the whole engine from eBay recondition will cost £850 + ??? to fit it to the car .

what will you guys reckon should i fix it or should i sell it and how much for ?

by the way does this scrapage scheme still running if yes would they take my car in present cond ?

hey every one, i have got a celica gen 7 2002 and my engine block is knocked and broken by one of the conrod if this is the one , so the cylinder block is has got a big hole on it . i imagine it was oil problem as the stick was dry when i checked it .

now mechanic reckon i need to get a whole engine ,and the whole engine from ebay recondition will cost £850 + ??? to fit it to the car .

what will you guys reckon should i fix it or should i sell it and how much for ?

by the way does this scrapage scheme still running if yes would they take my car in present cond ?

guys do u know if the Mr2 engine 1zz-fe model will fit straight to my car or not ?

now mechanic reckon i need to get a whole engine ,and the whole engine from ebay recondition will cost £850 + ??? to fit it to the car .

guys do u know if the Mr2 engine 1zz-fe model will fit straight to my car or not ?

Hi Mate

Yes it will fit,You will need some parts of your old engine,dipstick guide,front mount etc

i just fitted the engine in my 2002 celica, it fitted and start BUT >>>> there are few issues , 1st the MR2 2004 engine has an additional water pipe (kind of cooler system ) around the oil filter . also as the result there is a additional hole on the cylinder head this means i have a extra pipe which has running coolant in it , except that and some rattle noise from engine there isn't much i can complain , by the way , i have more power in the new engine and more torque. oh another thing my engine light came on after i had a air block in the coolant which is still on and i need to find the problem and see if can be amend .

i fitted the engine with my mate who is a junior mechanic , it took me 10 hours but this was due to the problem above other wise would of finish earlier .

• 1 month later...

Hi sorry just joined in the nick of time, my engine is coming out on monday to have new big end bearings fitted so i would like to know more about these holes to be drilled, and if you guys have any advice before i get the new bearings fitted if i can do anything else to future proof this engine would like to email or message me asap, only just got the car last week and its barely been driven by me, had wheels refurbished windows tinted and then i realsied i had a slight knocking so it went straight to a mates garage,

so i am a little desprate for info so please forward asap.

many thanks

without car forums like this we would all be in the **** i guess.

if you havent put it back together yet,you want to drill out 2 extra oil holes in the main gallery of the block straight into the sump,its very easy to do and i will send you some pics of where to drill(this will help the oil circulate) any help you need pm me and i will give you any help you need.Ive done 3 of these now,should be able to complete the whole job in 2 days.Anyone else who wants this job doing let me know,can give you a

crank polish, competition main and big end bearings(including thrust washers) - £130

full engine gasket kit - £130

piston rings - £70

conrod cap bolts and main bearing bolts (must be replaced) - £70

wouldnt mind knowing where you got the competition big and bearings from and what not, if i am going to get it re built i might as well go a little further as the money is already getting spent.

much appriecated

Tweak-it.net do a lot of major engine parts but I don't know about Celica engines...

still in need to find out more about this hole driling idea, engine rebuild will only take a few days and they are looking at getting car back on road by friday so i need to find this out asap, so please anybody with infomation send it on or post it on here.

many thanks

still in need to find out more about this hole driling idea, engine rebuild will only take a few days and they are looking at getting car back on road by friday so i need to find this out asap, so please anybody with infomation send it on or post it on here.

many thanks

hi al

i did not realise how costly an engine rebuild are these dats,does not happn so much now.

decoking your engine was a common practice years ago.

you used be able to fit what was called cord piston rings for oil control.the origimnal piston ring grooves were machined if i remember correctly you landed up with 2 scraper rings.or alternatel you could buy oil control pistons with 2 scraper rings and the top ring had a step i in it so as not to touch the lip on a worn bore with the new ring.

as to the drilling of 2 holes in the oil gallary,i dont understand how this would not lead loosing oil pressure.

many years i was apprenticed to a firm overhauling diesel engines for the then minestry of transport,so have some

interest of what is being dicussed on this forum.

please can you explain about the above 2 holes and how they are of benifit.

thanks,

just googled oord piston rings,and the stil do them.

brings back memories of being coverd up the elbow in diesel slugdge.

and when you had a date that night your fingers would bleed from trying to get the muck from under your nails with a nail brush.

oh for my youth back.

the person that posted about drilling the two holes was fazzer, he posted this comment on page one have copied it and pasted it to again below so it may jog somebodys memory, i have emailed him but no reply,

Hi Mate

good luck

just kinda want to get to find out if this works and have the plan to do it so i can let the rebuild start next week, i have very little idea of engines so any advice given is to be passed on to the guys who are building mine back up.

• 9 months later...

it wasnt the rings the problem was the design of piston only 2 small holes for oil to drain through back into the sump then these get blocked up to easy and instead of drain back inot the sump get burned off in the combustion chamber if you were going to recon these engines i think you would have to rebore and fit after market pistons anything else would be futile

• 4 months later...

would pistons from a facelift model solve the issue with oil consumption,was that the only mod toyota made to solve the problem?