Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To 'solve' The Problem Of The Abs Warning Light.

Yaristotle

I have heard that recently a Yaris owner (whose car had a fsh) experienced the ABS warning light indicating. The main dealer carried out the necessary investigation but was unable to detect what was causing the problem. If this indicator is found to be on during an MOT test the vehicle is failed. To get round the problem the dealer advised that the only redress was a full replacement of the ABS unit at a cost of £1,200! The owner sought a more economic alternative and obtained a quote of £700 from a non-franchised garage. The problem was that the garage was unable to source the correct item so the work could not go ahead. When the original dealer was made aware that they would not be undertaking the said work – they had not heard that the garage had found the item unobtainable - they reduced their charge to £900. This was accepted and the work carried out.

This seems a massive cost to have to meet for such work. Is this a well known problem amongst the Yaristocracy er, I mean Yaris owners. Any comments a appreciated.

I have heard that recently a Yaris owner (whose car had a fsh) experienced the ABS warning light indicating. The main dealer carried out the necessary investigation but was unable to detect what was causing the problem. If this indicator is found to be on during an MOT test the vehicle is failed. To get round the problem the dealer advised that the only redress was a full replacement of the ABS unit at a cost of £1,200! The owner sought a more economic alternative and obtained a quote of £700 from a non-franchised garage. The problem was that the garage was unable to source the correct item so the work could not go ahead. When the original dealer was made aware that they would not be undertaking the said work – they had not heard that the garage had found the item unobtainable - they reduced their charge to £900. This was accepted and the work carried out.

This seems a massive cost to have to meet for such work. Is this a well known problem amongst the Yaristocracy er, I mean Yaris owners. Any comments a appreciated.

Not at all common the unit in question i have only ever knowen as one being changed on a yaris in 7 years in toyota parts for a main dealer lol but we wernt this dealer in question as one we did was still under warranty

Hi i had this problem on my 1999 celica & it turned out to be a crack on the sensor ring on the cv joint, abs light was on buy diagnostic test reveled nothing as if all was ok, so worth a check, take out the wheel sensors & look in the hole for crack in ring, i had a great mechanic to fix mine.

Well any dealer tec that cannot find an ABS problem on the Yaris with a diagnostic IT2 unit and his eyes, needs to get is backside on the ABS training course run by Toyota. Its not just a case of looking for a code on the IT2. There are tools on the IT2 that can be used to monitor outputs from the wheel ABS sensors. It can also record freeze frame data that tells the tec what was happening when the ABS light came on. And if all else fails, the lazy git tec should have thourghly inspected things like tone wheels on driveshafts under the car. It`s NOT uncommon for tone wheels to split because they are usuall made of alloy. And where alloy is in contact with the metal C.V. joint is a prime target for corrosion. This corrosion tries to lift the alloy tone wheel. Obviously it cant because it is a continues ring...so it splits the tone wheel. This CAN be picked up on the IT2 diagnostic computer as a bad signal waveform.

"You need a full ABS system sir" god, it`s no wonder we get bad mouthed.

• Like 1

My corolla ABS light came on a few days ago....stayed on for 40 miles.

The next day back to normal.

Yesterday I took it to my local Toyota dealer, they checked it out and found no error codes on their computer.

I got the ABS light problem on my car, come MOT time just take the bulb out!

The tester should check for bulb operation during the test. Easily missed though if the bulb is out ;)

• 1 year later...
My corolla ABS light came on a few days ago....stayed on for 40 miles.

The next day back to normal.

Yesterday I took it to my local Toyota dealer, they checked it out and found no error codes on their computer.

Have you sorted your ABS?

• 6 years later...

I'm hoping Benno_UK's comment will come up trumps ...

My Father's Yaris 2000: ABS light on. Tried some obvious stuff and still on. Booked into Toyota to get diagnosed and they can't find a fault in their 30 min check - with very little time near the car - presume they plugged it into something but couldn't see anything like a big box with a screen anywhere near the car - they did walk around underneath with a torch? Need another session to go over things more - so taking in for a whole day to have a 1 hour session? Warning me that it might be the ECU - I'm expecting to hear that and that it's expensive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links