Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt

Krayon_Yaris_sr

on my rover 25 i had to change the timing belt between 70k and 80k and i got it to 79k before it needed to be done. my yaris is at 70k at the moment what is the mileage this should be changed at?

on my rover 25 i had to change the timing belt between 70k and 80k and i got it to 79k before it needed to be done. my yaris is at 70k at the moment what is the mileage this should be changed at?

Yaris dont have a timing belt, they use a timing chain which only needs changing when they are noisy or stretched. :D

Mart.

How much does a new timing belt cost then, i think mine will be needing this done very soon, as the guy said when i got my car serviced a week back.

Cheers

Sim

How much does a new timing belt cost then, i think mine will be needing this done very soon, as the guy said when i got my car serviced a week back.

Cheers

Sim

They dont use a belt. It is a chain driven engine. No need for replacement unless its really noisy etc. To change the chain it means - cam cover etc off, aux belt off, engine mount off, all pulleys off, timing cover off, chain tensioner off, chain/guides off. Clean all sealant off, fit new chain/guides (gold links on chain facing dots on sprockets for correct timing), refit tensioner, fit cover with new sealant, refit all parts. Pretty easy if you have done it a few times :D

Mart.

Yeah and make sure you DO get plenty of good sealer on the timing cover, cos they are commonly known for leaking oil like a pig!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive done over 70k+ miles and i was thinking it was time to change the belt.

What kind of noise should i be listening to? Does it affect performance?

They DONT have a belt, it's a chain

The chain should last a very long time and should not be replaced as a matter of course, only when required, it would be rattling and very noisey, usually heard when ticking over and slightly blipping the throttle. The chains on any VVTi Toyota are virtually bullet proof!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Virtually bulletproof providing the oil is changed when due.Any kind of dirty oil is not much use on a chain.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links