Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air - Con

ae102

i had the bonnet up today with the engine running and air con on - about every 10 - 15 seconds a click noise would come from around the compressor........ is this normal?

It's the electro clutch on the A/C compressor, totally normal ;)

thanks mate - dont really use the air con and never had it on with the bonnet up. :thumbsup:

thanks mate - dont really use the air con and never had it on with the bonnet up. :thumbsup:

Im just wondering is it something to do with the climate control. It may engage and disengage lets say if you have the temp set to maybe 20,you know how the car is alway trying to keep the interior at the set temp. May be if its set to cold the compressor will stay engaged all the time. The clicking is the magnet engaging the clutch i'd guess. Id try it for you but my air con has a leak so no air con! The say you should run your air con every week or so to stop the seals in the compressor drying out. Nearly £600 for a new one plus the labor so worth doing

Im just wondering is it something to do with the climate control. It may engage and disengage lets say if you have the temp set to maybe 20,you know how the car is alway trying to keep the interior at the set temp. May be if its set to cold the compressor will stay engaged all the time. The clicking is the magnet engaging the clutch i'd guess. Id try it for you but my air con has a leak so no air con! The say you should run your air con every week or so to stop the seals in the compressor drying out. Nearly £600 for a new one plus the labor so worth doing

thats why i put it on - hadnt been on for a while. whenever me old man gets in me car he puts the air conon ....... he knows my hate for the things. if its ****** i'll put the compressor where it belongs - in the **** bin!!! didnt have climate on and it was set to max cold so it shoudnt have been clicking..... should stay engaged?

thats why i put it on - hadnt been on for a while. whenever me old man gets in me car he puts the air conon ....... he knows my hate for the things. if its ****** i'll put the compressor where it belongs - in the **** bin!!! didnt have climate on and it was set to max cold so it shoudnt have been clicking..... should stay engaged?

You can replace the magnets in them,that could be it,also if the gas is low theres a safety thing in them to stop them engaging so you dont burn the compressor out. Was it freezing coming out,may be the gas is low? I got my self a back up of e bay for £25,couldn't believe it,thought it was my b.day! Even if it was broken i didnt care cause you can get them reconditioned,but he said it was tried and tested before it came off the car. So if there both f###ed i can still put one on and drive the car till i get the other reconditioned,i wont lose my power steering and alternator.

I was told before by part king that from middle of 03 on the compressor on all the corolla diesel and petrol are the same,but check with him to be sure if you looking at doing what i did.

There is a valve up near where the chassis number is,if you get a meter from halford of such like it will tell you how much gas is in the system,or even any of these fast fit places will check it for you,think even Halfords mite too

just been to check - that clicking is what you say.............. a/c very cold so that clicking is it cutting in and out. i dint know much about a/c so thanks for your help :thumbsup: just cleaned it out with some of that anti-bacterial stuff...... may as well get some of that top-up refridgerant to make sure all is well - any recomendations?

Does anyone have a photograph of where to spray the anti-bacterial stuff for the Air-Con so that it cleans the system?

Does anyone have a photograph of where to spray the anti-bacterial stuff for the Air-Con so that it cleans the system?

i got the wynns stuff (not that impressed tbh) and it showed two ways:

1. via the intake on the passenger side below the windscreen

2. via the blower behind the glovebox where the pollen filter is.

both methods require the pollen filter to be removed, fan set to blow through face fans only on max and cold - aircon/climate control off. method 1 needs the fan set to intake fresh air and method 2 you have set to recirculation.

you can get bombs apparenly but wasnt recommended them. i seen mr t mechanic spray it straight down the vents and that did seem a more effective way. i tried method 1 & 2 - wouldnt do it method 1 again. hope that helps :thumbsup:

Use the pollen filter hole dudes, then it goes into all the vents!!!!

i did it that way first - then tried it the other way recommended and i emptied half a can via the car to the drive!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links