Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

St162 Automatic Box And Overdrive

garth morden

Hello all... I'm new here..

I have purchased a ST162 (1988) Automatic... for... drum role... 200 quid..

Its mot'd and it drives nicely... BUT...

The overdrive doesn't seem to work... If the button is in or out it doesn't make a difference...

3750rpm is about 70mph in what appears to be top gear... I'm trying to work out if that is with the overdrive working or not... Does anyone else have the same car who can tell me what 70mph is in rpm with the overdrive on?

Also... what oil shoudl I be using in the engine and what oil in the box? I want to give the old girl a good servicing at the weekend and want some advice on what to fill her up with!

Cheers all!

Ohhhhhh great choice of car and a huge bargin at £200 can we have piccies pls........ Gen 4's are not all that common these days!! :crybaby:

And as for your questions ummm errrr no idea sorry....but the boys will be around to help you out soon!!

BTW Welcome to TOC!!!! :)

The old girl is leaking oil from the engine... not the box.. And its coming from the rear main oil seal...

So.. with quotes of 400+ to get it fixed.. and potential for other issues... she's up for sale...

I have neither the time, space of tools to undertake a full engine removal...

If anyones interested 150 quid and she's yours... I have all the relevant paperwork.. and will chunk in some spares/manual I've picked up.

• 13 years later...

Anyone any ideas about auto box problem.  St162 2.0 auto. 

Working perfect in reverse and 1st forward gear. In 2nd or d it feels like a one speed automatic kids quad.  As in when the car is in d or d2 it will drive but with no real pulling power.  Od switch is not functioning either. 

Any help appreciated. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links