Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4d Engine Fault

vicegrips

hi guys. this is my first post and i need help. Purchased an 03 5dr rav4 d4d gx 85k a few months ago and have had a few faults. Engine management light comes on .....no power....down to idle. Switch off then on ....all ok. Coincedentally this has happened at exactly the same spot 3 times,coming out of a 30 zone and accelerating normally up a fairly steep hill. It seems that it only happens under load Also happened with my wife driving on motorway while overtaking in outside lane(scary stuff) Took the car to toyota garage last sat morning.

Diagnosed turbo fault £1200 fix. However after reading all the postings im not so sure if this might be the cure. Another fault is a slight miss/hiccup under normal acceleration, not all the time, but its def there. I also dont feel that the engine is running just right . Have replaced filters, oil, and both belts .(and !Removed! expensive waterpump ). No difference. Would def like a bit more get up and go .Any suggestions/experiences about chipping. So what do you think guys....sc/sp valves? turbo? Any help or comments would be greately appreciated. Many thanks

Hi Vicegrips

Welcome to the club.

To start with I wouldn't chip it until you have got to the bottom of this - it could end up compounding the problem.

Have you had the DTCs read? It will almost certainly have recorded some if it has lost power to that extent. I get a bit concerned reading posts that have been diagnosed as turbo faults when the problem is so intermittent. A turbo is a mechanical lump that generally works or it doesn't. The usual failure is clouds of smoke or a consistent loss of power. The only aspect that could give an intermittent fault is the VRV - the vacuum unit that controls the variable rate nozzles. You should be able to see that working by revving the engine and watching the link move. You can also disconnect it and feel if the nozzles are free. I think more likely to be one of the ancilliary items like the pressure limit switch.

You can get somebody to read the codes or buy the reader for less than £30 delivered and do it yourself;

http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/Shop/Code_Readers/mj004.htm

A member called pink minkee has posted something similar. Just do a search and have a read. I wouldn't rule out the HP fuel pump but again I would want those codes first.

Good luck.

Solution-

buy a 3 door RAV....!!!

(its a shame you're having problems though and getting ripped off - as wur man says; turbos either work or they don't.)

Go back and ask for your old turbo as you could sell it on eb*#

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys. this is my first post and i need help. Purchased an 03 5dr rav4 d4d gx 85k a few months ago and have had a few faults. Engine management light comes on .....no power....down to idle. Switch off then on ....all ok. Coincedentally this has happened at exactly the same spot 3 times,coming out of a 30 zone and accelerating normally up a fairly steep hill. It seems that it only happens under load Also happened with my wife driving on motorway while overtaking in outside lane(scary stuff) Took the car to toyota garage last sat morning.

Diagnosed turbo fault £1200 fix. However after reading all the postings im not so sure if this might be the cure. Another fault is a slight miss/hiccup under normal acceleration, not all the time, but its def there. I also dont feel that the engine is running just right . Have replaced filters, oil, and both belts .(and !Removed! expensive waterpump ). No difference. Would def like a bit more get up and go .Any suggestions/experiences about chipping. So what do you think guys....sc/sp valves? turbo? Any help or comments would be greately appreciated. Many thanks

My wifes car - Avensis Verso D4D (53 plate) had exactly the same problem a couple of days ago (she lost all power going up a hill and it wouldn't rev past 1,000rpm, engine light came on, car started OK after swithcing off ignition). Reading the forums, this seems to be a really common problem with the D4D engines. We bought the car from a relative, who also suffered the problem a few times (they had it from new), some parts were replaced apparently (not sure what), but the problem has come back each time and is very intermittent. The last occurrence was 11,000 miles ago under the ownership of my relative and the diagnosis at that time from Toyota was a turbo issue (£1500+ replacement quoted) but they didn't fall for that, and neither do I. To me this seems more like an electrical issue than mechanical ?

I'm buying a code reader to get the logged error code(s) out and will go from there. Let us know how you get on ?

P.S. Possible fixes I've seen quoted on the forums are:

Suction Control Valve

Fuel Pump

Fuel filter

Turbo

EGR

MAF (I've cleaned this with carb cleaner and is was blackened)

Use Forte Diesel Treatment (I've got a can of similar to pour into the tank)

This is interesting - obviously Toyota use the same bits across various cars.....and the same engines across various cars too.

I wonder what benefit there might be if this forum could offer a sub-forum (forii?) which just deasl with particular engines?

I already use the MR2 and GT4 forums for the 3SGTE engine info.

Maybe a D4D forum. Not that I'm saying to detract from the RAV one - just to give us as users/owners a bit more info and a bit more clout when it comes to speaking with T.

Similar precedent exists in the UK, but they call it political parties, and they are somewhat inept. This one being more focussed and a definite agenda could be successful.....

Anybody know of a good forum to convert a lighting mast winch to electric?????

This is interesting - obviously Toyota use the same bits across various cars.....and the same engines across various cars too.

I wonder what benefit there might be if this forum could offer a sub-forum (forii?) which just deasl with particular engines?

I already use the MR2 and GT4 forums for the 3SGTE engine info.

Maybe a D4D forum. Not that I'm saying to detract from the RAV one - just to give us as users/owners a bit more info and a bit more clout when it comes to speaking with T.

Similar precedent exists in the UK, but they call it political parties, and they are somewhat inept. This one being more focussed and a definite agenda could be successful.....

Anybody know of a good forum to convert a lighting mast winch to electric?????

As you rightly say, many parts are common across a manufacturers range - especially the engines. With the high occurence of this type of issue across the many models the D4D engine is used, it could be useful to have a dedicated diesel forum.

the fault is the turbo waste gate sticks giving too much boost then engine goes into fail safe mode . you could clean and lube the waste gate rod / pivot area but still may need new turbo

D4D doesn't have a wastegate but it does have pressure limiting valve/switches. I would try to get any fault codes from the ECU first.

D4D doesn't have a wastegate but it does have pressure limiting valve/switches. I would try to get any fault codes from the ECU first.

I'd buy another 3 door petrol RAV.....

ring toyota GB custumer care have a good long moan and they may help with cost ?

This is your first approach - then call the PR department (you can track contacts by trying some of the media coverage too) and say you are writing an expose on the whole sorry affair......

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I have experienced the same problem with the turbo. Too high pressure in the turbo causing error code and loss of power.

Please let me know if you have found a solution to this. It's very frustrating. Maybe it is enough to replace the EGR valve or cleaning it?

Best regards, Vangen

Hello again....Having a similar problem with my Rav GX 4d4. In 5th at 60mph if I put my foot to floor nothing happens, no acceleration, checking the trip computer no increase in fuel flow, if its on an incline then I have to go down the gears to get anywhere bit embarrassing being overtaken by artics. No warning lights lit. I suspect its an airflow/turbo problem but haven't had a chance to investigate yet . Will report further when I've got more info.

I can't believe that with all these similar faults with the 4d4 engine that Toyota are not on the ball and can't pin point the answers.

Keep On Truckin :(

Mick.

With a fleet of Taxis ... ( Not all mine)

I can rest my hand on my heart and say, I have regreted every moment I have replaced my older Toyota GS 2.0 TD with the newer D4D.

All cars are services every 4>8k of Miles.

All have had symptoms of lack of power.. / Flywheel problems

Each car needed a diffrent part to be replaced

My Personal Cars

Car Number 1

Avensis d4d 120k

Problems

Lack of power = Fix

New Maf sensor,

Car Number 2

Avensis D4d 140k

Problems

Lack of Power Intermittant engine check light = Fix

EGR Valve,

Replacment Turbo and Housing

Diesel Pump /

= Car is still problamatic = Issue still exists

Codes read/ Parts replaced ... = Nothing seems to work

Car Number 3

D4D - 69k

Lack of power / Engine check light and goes into limp mode at even a slight poke of the pedal.

Parts replaced

Turbo and EGR valve, with some of the Vacum piping and one Injector.

Its all got some thing to do with the ECU, I am sure of it.

Even the slightly Overboost of the car.. makes it throw a wobbler and into limp.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I recently purchased an identical model - 03 plate 5 dr d4d gx with 90,000 in the clock and full dealer service history. Have just returned it as I consider it lethal. Why? Four weeks in, it started to miss occasionally when accelerating and then one day it lost all ower when driving uphill. Shut itself down and went into 'limp' mode ie: STOPPED IMMEDIATELY.

Under warranty, dealer took it away and read computer fault codes - replaced fuel filter and remapped ECU.

Fine for a week, then again it did exactly the same thing - same conditions, driving uphill. Taken back to dealer who reckon they found a hose with a hole in it.

A week later, same thing happens in the same place, going uphill, and by now I am completely terrified of driving. Dealer takes it back and reckons it is now a fault with the turbo. I no longer care what he thinks it is, and have now returned the car forever! TOO DANGEROUS. Could easily have happened on outside lane of motorway with nowhere safe to go in limp mode... very unimpressed with this car.

Yes I can understand how you feel. We have a regular contributor called pink minkee who has had very similar problems. Her car is currently being torn apart by Toyota under warranty but these things sometimes take time and can be very frustrating when the thing keeps handing its notice in.

It makes you wonder if the reason some of these vehicles have been traded in the first place is because somebody was having problems and threw in the towel.

We mostly only get to hear about problems on this forum so as a percentage of the vehicles out and about there we should be able to conclude that it isn't the norm' and if you have a hunt for another one you should be OK.

Good luck and hopefully we'll hear from you when you have joined the ranks of more content owners :thumbsup:

I can tell you some horrific and harrowing stories about various makes but generally Toyotas are pretty bomb proof. Keep your chin up mate!

• 8 months later...

Hi,all,

My Avensis Verso D4D which i recently purchased has done the same 3 times now:

Engine light comes on and power drops. After this, won't rev past 3000. Turn the engine off and back on and all is well. Really confusing as there is no warning to it happening. The first time it happened i was in the middle lane of the M6 doing 80 with the kids in the car. Had it in to my local dealer (Arnold Clark) who told me the fault had not registered despite the engine light, but it was likely to be a historic fault in the memory and cleared it, but it happened again the other day after 2 months of nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,all,

Engine light comes on and power drops. After this, won't rev past 3000. Turn the engine off and back on and all is well. Really confusing as there is no warning to it happening. The first time it happened i was in the middle lane of the M6 doing 80 with the kids in the car. Had it in to my local dealer (Arnold Clark) who told me the fault had not registered despite the engine light, but it was likely to be a historic fault in the memory and cleared it, but it happened again the other day after 2 months of nothing.

Cheers

From what I know about diagnotics, the engine light cannot come on without a fault code being stored and the ECU cannot clear the code itself without a diagnostic computer being plugged in and the code being cleared by hand. Historic fault codes will still be there, but the check engine light might go out if it doesn't register the fault as being present anymore.

In this case with the Avensis sounds like it may be the SCV issue? Have a look at http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87986 and see if it helps.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Sorry it's taken so long to reply, still trying to get used to how this site works.

So far, the car hasn't done it again since. Thats the annoying thing, i would much rather it was one way or the other so i could just get it fixed and get back to normal service.

I will have a look in to the link you've sent me.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen

Hi,all,

Cheers

Try torching the garage - it won't help the car but you'll feel better :lol: :lol: :lol:

....so will I!

Valves on the pump

The most common complaint we had which started off about every 5 weeks causing a very scary lack of power normally when overtaking and fitting a fuel filter seemed to help for so long

Replacing both valves fixed

I cannot ever remember replacing a Turbo on any Toyota in 8 years

as said - Fault codes needed ?

• 2 months later...

there have been a lot of similar posts about turbo diesal engines losing power +/- engine fault light.

Problems are almost always intermittent and dealer often recommend replacement of turbo (at £12000-15000).

has anyone actually had this done and it has solved the problem??

Unfortunately most people seem to stop posting when problem is solved and then we don't know what actually worked!?

Some feedback would be appreciated :(

• Like 1

there have been a lot of similar posts about turbo diesal engines losing power +/- engine fault light.

Problems are almost always intermittent and dealer often recommend replacement of turbo (at £12000-15000).

has anyone actually had this done and it has solved the problem??

Unfortunately most people seem to stop posting when problem is solved and then we don't know what actually worked!?

Some feedback would be appreciated :(

Hi

Ive been experiencing the same problem for a year or so. My mechanic diagnosed the error as being P1251 - overboost condition.

We refurbished the turbocharger (and i must admit it had some grime) but the car was ok only for a week. I cleaned the hot wire sensor, was OK for a week then back to the same problem.

I think that the things I have done have been useless. In fact, the mechanic always cleared the 'code' after he did something to the car - which is what I think actually makes the car go OK for a week or so.

One thing that I have noticed however is that the car is difficult to start. I thought it was the battey which was running flat, so I bought a new one. I changed the Battery but no progress was made.

I now beleive that the SCV's are not working correctly. I'm no expert just using some common sense here... But, If you have a new battrey that fires the fuel with a good charge and this does not happen, the problem might be that there is some fault with the fuel supply itself. I don't know if someone is following me. This might also explain the fact that the the car looses power, the turbo overboosts to make up for the loss of power and it gives you the error. I am no expert and might be writing a lot of gibberish but perhaps someone with technical knowledge would get a clue..

and please if anyone gets to the bottom of it let us know!!

thanks

alex

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I actually had (have) the problem in reverse!

2003 Rav4 D4d was faultless until 75k miles, then turbo blew (i mean blew, dead Rav, lot's of black smoke). Ever since it was replaced the cars been sluggish, intermittent power problems, then finally engine light and limp home mode.

Diagnostic at Toyota revealed 2 error codes, solenoid valves for fuel pump (correct term? translating from French) and a seizing up of the turbo unit.

Toyota replaced the valves and did a further diagnostic on the turbo pressure and found it to be fine. Rav's not in limp mode anymore but is still sluggish (toyota estimate 60% of power). They're now telling me that they think it is a problem with the catalytic converter and want to remove it and run the engine to see. i'm dubious ... it feels like they don't know what the problem is and want to start looking at the most expensive items first. Can anyone advise?

As Niall says there does seem to be a good few people with this particular problem and as far as i know there is no comment from Toyota that this is a generic problem that originates from a particular part of the engine. Any help from the more experienced members to try to narrow down the problem would be much appreciated. thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Jimmy

Welcome to the club.

If it only did it since the turbo was changed and didn't do it before then it does tend to suggest it was something to do with that. It is possible that some of the turbo blades have clogged the exhaust so if they only remove the cat to look inside it might be worth a try.

If not there are several devices associated with the turbo that could contribute and I can provide you with info on those if you pm me with your email address.

Was the turbo from a good source?

Did the SCV valves make any difference?