Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4d Engine Fault

vicegrips

OK, we have our RAV now so perhaps can feel more at home in here. :P

Anyway, we also have a Previa 2.0 D4D which was giving us very similar symptoms as you describe. I learned how to drive the car so the EML didn't come on but if I booted it hard to overtake, EML on and complete lack of power. Dealer kept saying Turbo problem so for safety sake, we had the turbo replaced and this fixed that problem but we now had some black smoke that I hadn't noticed before. I have the old turbo on my bench and the wastegate is stuck which would give the EML on overboost when I booted it.

We ran the car for a few months with the black smoke only showing when you blipped the throttle when parked up. I couldn't see any while driving. This developed into a complete lack of power at 3k revs but no EML. The black smoke was now laying a mark on the road. Dealer checked the car out and replaced the SCV's. All fixed and running as well as I can remember. :D So, two different faults here addressed by two solutions but was one masking the other or indeed cause the stuck wastegate? I don't know.

I know this all applies to our Previa but I am hoping there are similarities in all this that may help you with your RAV problems. It's a difficult one and did cost an arm and a leg even with Toyotas help :angry:

Link to our turbo problem over on the MPV forum has other solutions suggested for the stuck turbo which includes some cleaner from Halfords!

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77292

Good luck

IF it turns put to be a turbo wastegate problem I would talk to these guys. We had a Turbo about to fail on our Renault. I called them and they supplied us a new core turbo not a recon and it was less than £400.00! They can recon but we wanted a new one. They were very helpful. Although the new one did break after about 4000 miles! It was a problem with the manufacturer who claimed it was a fitting issue or an existing problem so wanted to get out of their warranty! The guys at the Turbo Centre sorted out another turbo for free and they took it up with the manufacturer! 11/10 for help and service!!

http://www.turbocentreuk.co.uk/

You will have to find a garage to fit it for you if you do not think you can do the swap. We used a local garage and it cost us a total of £560.00 to buy and fit the turbo! A lot less than the £1200 to £1500 quoted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anchorman, thanks for the warm welcome (and the advice :thumbsup: )

The replacement turbo was supplied and fitted by Toyota and is guaranteed for a year. Despite the recent error code for a seizure of the turbo, toyota have tested it and tell me there is no problem

The replacement of the SCV valves has made a huge difference. Straight after the turbo replacement the acceleration was extremely poor and i was having trouble with even the most gentle hills ... then the engine light and no acceleration at all.

I now have smooth and consistent acceleration and can get up hills at a reasonable pace ... but it still feels a bit restricted, there's no punch that i used to have when i put my foot down and the turbo kicked in. (strangely there is a kick of the turbo if i take it up to 4000rpm, but up to then its a slow but smooth acceleration)

Will try to get a local garage to have a look for blockages and post an update if it helps.

The replacement turbo was supplied and fitted by Toyota and is guaranteed for a year. Despite the recent error code for a seizure of the turbo, toyota have tested it and tell me there is no problem

The replacement of the SCV valves has made a huge difference. Straight after the turbo replacement the acceleration was extremely poor and i was having trouble with even the most gentle hills ... then the engine light and no acceleration at all.

I now have smooth and consistent acceleration and can get up hills at a reasonable pace ... but it still feels a bit restricted, there's no punch that i used to have when i put my foot down and the turbo kicked in. (strangely there is a kick of the turbo if i take it up to 4000rpm, but up to then its a slow but smooth acceleration)

Will try to get a local garage to have a look for blockages and post an update if it helps.

That vacuum unit sitting on top of the turbo that often gets referred to as a wastegate is actually the control unit for the variable nozzles. It is important that it is very free so it might be worth disconnecting it and checking. Make sure there are no leaks in any of the pipes that feed it.

Keeps us updated.

Hi there..If you trace the tube connected to the vacuum control capsule on top of the turbo back to the vacuum control valve and remove it off the valve after giving a bit of wipe you can give it a suck and you should hear and see the variable control linkage moving...nothing like the taste of engines..

• 1 month later...

That vacuum unit sitting on top of the turbo that often gets referred to as a wastegate is actually the control unit for the variable nozzles. It is important that it is very free so it might be worth disconnecting it and checking. Make sure there are no leaks in any of the pipes that feed it.

Keeps us updated.

hello folks,

iam new here, am from holland and own a previa d4d 2003 for 2 years. forgive me for my bad english.

find in the mountains in austria that the prev had a loss of power. did not notice it here on the flat. went several times to a toyo dealer to no avail. looked on several forums to find out that the problem is familair.

problem is when the motor is cold the car is fine. if (becoming) warm acceleration is getting slower and slower up to approx 3000 rpm then " turbo" kicks in. no light comes on and no codes. so I checked turbo which turned freely whithout any play. inside the engine there is a OIL FILTER (take the cover off where the oildrane is). cleaned it (was fairly dirty), put in a new mass air sensor. no improvement. meassured the resistance of one of the fuel solenoids was 1.8 omhs on the fuelpump and renewed both. still no improvement. last week i took the connecter off of a vacuum solenoid (turbo vanes) just to see whats happening . acceleration (motor cold) was great. becoming warmer the power declined a bit. but reaching 3000 rpm something (???) kicks in. a few days ago getting over the 3000 i hear a air whisle/ escaping (i might (cross my fingers) have blown a hose). next week i will visit the dealer to measure the turbo pressure sensor and vacuum system. keep you informed. If somebody have any suggestions it will be highly appreciated. for your info i find some interresting sites like www. onlinefreeebooks.net look for toyota technical service bulletin EG-4010 and www.en.allexperts.com

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I think there are loads of people with this intermittent power loss on acceleration problem with these D-4D engines, but where does everyone go, are the Toyota mafia picking people off one by one so they can't come back and post on the forum as hardly anyone comes back and says it is fixed, or are you selling the cars on to other people with their faults and are too ashamed to come back and admit it? Haha.

Any further input on the SCV/Turbo/EGR issue more than welcome.

hi , i have a toyota previa d4d 2002 . the problem with mine is it does not rev over 3000 rpm and there is no pressure cumming out of the from exaust , the cat has been taken of and checked , the turbo has been changed, the deisal pump has been changed, the injecters have been changed, the egr valve has been cleaned . can anyone help as i am getting pi**ed off with this one now. please!

I'm in the same club here! Intermittent Power Loss aka Limp Mode.

My cars a Toyota Avensis D4d 2 litre 2005 Model.

It only seems to happen when on a journey greater than 60 miles and when the car comes down from a constant speed to a slower road. I bought my car not so long ago with a garage warranty. They diagnosed it as an electronic fault in the EGR valve and replaced it. Still having the same problem. What gets me is that it is so intermittent and switching the car off and on again allows you to travel.

Will bring it back to the garage under warranty and hopefully they can get to the bottom of it. Its the most irritating fault because the car runs perfect 99% of the time. I'm feeling the pain of all you Limpers out there!

Do SCVs need replaced or can they be cleaned?

Cheers

Hello again peeps, I've lurked on this great site regularly with nothing much to report, but now I've fallen out with my 2002 D4D.

Last night I was driving along in my Rav at about 45 mph, long straight road slightly uphill, I came up behind another vehicle that was doing about 40. There was a vehicle coming towards me but it was a long way away giving me plenty of time to overtake, so I pressed the pedal slightly and nothing, in fact I slowed down, I was level with the car I was overtaking with another car coming towards me, I noticed the engine management lamp had come on. I was on the wrong side of the road and in danger, i was scared but didn't panic, I let the car I was overtaking pull away and I pulled into the side of the road with hazards on. Phew!

The engine was still running fine but would only rev up very slowly to about 3000 rpm. I turned the engine on and off a few times but it made no difference. After removing the ignition key and then trying again the engine lamp went out and it ran normally. I was about 10 miles from home and throughout the rest of the jouney I tried to make it do it again (when no other vehicles were about) I tried accelerating in all gears up different hills but it behaved itself.

My car has always been maintained properly with regular filter changes.

It would appear that this is a fairly common fault of the D4D, usually when asking for a bit more power than normal, up hill overtaking appears to be the most popular time. I never use all the performance, I like to see the fuel computer above 50 (I am Yorkshire) :D but I just wonder if this is something to do with it, my car being driven gently all the time and then suddenly asking for more, do cars that are driven in a more spirited fashion ever have this problem.

Its running fine today but my confidence in it has taken a knock :(

Hello Big Bird..

For what its worth I've had a similar problem with my 02 Rav 4D4 for months where I would be bombing along at +60mph then having to slow by slightly lifting the pedal only to find that when reapplying the throttle all power had gone.

I have traced this to the turbo shutting down, no EML on.

I would then pull over stop the engine and restart it would then be back to normal. Then I decided to leave the engine running when it happened again and just pull the plugs off the turbo control sensor and vacuum controls this also reset it back to normal.

Doing this narrowed it down to the VCV which I replaced a month or two ago it has happened only once since then. The only thing now in the turbo control system that I have'nt replaced is the turbo pressure sensor...

Hope this might be helpful

Rgds Mick

Big Bird

I wouldn't expect your car to become accustomed to the way you drive - the ECU may learn a little bit but that is pointing to a fault. If you've demanded a lot more fuel than usual then maybe the SCVs are playing up as you've pushed them open into a position that has caused them to stick. They are quite do-able if you look in the maintenance tips you will see how and Kingo will post some to you.

Mickboy

All you can do is plod on and in the absense of a fault light all Toyota would do is what you are doing - substitution until you cure it.

Good luck

Thanks for your replys

Drove my car round as normal this week with no problems

Returning home last night, came off the motorway and on the same bit of road that I had the problem last week I tried to replicate the symptoms, there was no other traffic about, I drove to the foot of the hill at 40mph in 5th gear and as the gradient increased I pressed the accelerator, it gained a bit of speed and at exactly the same point as last week the engine warning lamp came on and I lost all power. I had a feeling it would do this, the conditions were virtually identical.

I pulled into the side of the road switched off and it would restart no problem but it was only after I removed the keys from the ignition and tried again that the warning lamp would go out and the power returned to normal.

Because I was concentrating on what was happening I did notice that immediately before (like a couple of seconds) it conked I was treated to what I can only describe as a slight power surge, it felt like a bit more turbo boost or something like that, I know I didn't imagine it, it did feel like I had more power albeit for only a second or two! So why did it do this, if anyone wants to plug a diagnostic box into it I'm quite confident I can make it do it again although I'd rather it didn't.

Because my car drives without fault 99% of the time I don't want to start replacing expensive parts. It would be easier if it just broke down completely and the culprit part could be identified!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 2003 rav. I've had it for two years, it's done 73k. Until this week it had done it's 'engine thing' only 4 times. The first, I was merrily driving up a hill in Cumbria when, without warning, the engine light came on and the power instantly disappeared. I pulled over, switched off and restarted, and off we went again without any problem. Then it happened in the fast lane of the motorway. Someone hesitated over pulling out, everyone around braked hard, including me, and the power suddenly went. Not much fun. This week it did it again on the motorway, but I wan't aware that I had accelerated or done anything to cause it.

Last night I started it and the engine light was on. I turned it off, then back on again and the light went out. But, when I drove away there was no power at all. I got the end of the road and turned around to get my husband's car instead - an R reg landcruiser that has been faultless! This morning I tried it to make sure I hadn't been imagining it, and the same thing happened.

It also stutters when accelerating, particularly in 3rd and 5th. I read somewhere that someone loosened the fuel cap slightly which solved this problem for them. I haven't had chance to try it yet.

After this week's motorway incident I had booked it in to Toyota anyway. I phoned them this morning to tell them it's undriveable, I can't take it to them and they told me I'll have to get the AA to take me in because they don't have a recovery truck. The earliest they can see it is Tuesday. So now I have to find a hire car to get me to work on Monday.

Lately it has been getting harder to start - I had to jump it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. And I don't think it's as powerful as it was 2 years ago. I thought maybe I'd just got used to it, or it felt weaker after driving the landcruiser more, but having read these pages I think maybe it has lost some power. Also I had the aircon regased at Easter and a couple of days later it wasn't working again. I couldn't go back to the garage because they had gone into adminstration the day after I was in and they disappeared overnight! Toyota have just opened again in Cheltenham under Bristol Street Motors Mazda and Fiat so I'm waiting to see what they'll do....

Such a shame, I really loved this car, it's been brilliant in the snow, but I just don't trust it now. Question is, what do I replace it with?

I have the same problem with my 2003 rav. I've had it for two years, it's done 73k. Until this week it had done it's 'engine thing' only 4 times. The first, I was merrily driving up a hill in Cumbria when, without warning, the engine light came on and the power instantly disappeared. I pulled over, switched off and restarted, and off we went again without any problem. Then it happened in the fast lane of the motorway. Someone hesitated over pulling out, everyone around braked hard, including me, and the power suddenly went. Not much fun. This week it did it again on the motorway, but I wan't aware that I had accelerated or done anything to cause it.

Last night I started it and the engine light was on. I turned it off, then back on again and the light went out. But, when I drove away there was no power at all. I got the end of the road and turned around to get my husband's car instead - an R reg landcruiser that has been faultless! This morning I tried it to make sure I hadn't been imagining it, and the same thing happened.

After this week's motorway incident I had booked it in to Toyota anyway. I phoned them this morning to tell them it's undriveable, I can't take it to them and they told me I'll have to get the AA to take me in because they don't have a recovery truck. The earliest they can see it is Tuesday. So now I have to find a hire car to get me to work on Monday.

Lately it has been getting harder to start - I had to jump it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. And I don't think it's as powerful as it was 2 years ago. I thought maybe I'd just got used to it, or it felt weaker after driving the landcruiser more, but having read these pages I think maybe it has lost some power. Also I had the aircon regased at Easter and a couple of days later it wasn't working again. I couldn't go back to the garage because they had gone into adminstration the day after I was in and they disappeared overnight! Toyota have just opened again in Cheltenham under Bristol Street Motors Mazda and Fiat so I'm waiting to see what they'll do....

Such a shame, I really loved this car, it's been brilliant in the snow, but I just don't trust it now. Question is, what do I replace it with?

I have a Rav 4 D4TD 2001 too had it 4 years drives great no problem with power up and down the M74,I had problems lately with the speedo not working but it`s okay now,the only gripe I have is buying a Battery every year as it seems to drain rapidly when its cold but I can live with that,I bought one of those Draper power packs to jump start it even at - 11 snow 2 feet deep on car

Welcome to the club TT

Let them have a look first and don't write it off because it is fixable. See what they say then come back to us.

Keep your chin up.

Right, started the car this morning and the engine light was on. I tried to drive along the road, but it really wasn't interested. I reversed back down the road and onto the drive. Then something made me try it again - guess what, no problem at all! No light, and it drove perfectly. So I couldn't get towed into the garage, I got a friend to follow me and bring me back home. They can't look at the car until tomorrow - the service area was packed with people waiting. The rediculous thing is that you have to book 10 days in advance to get a courtesy car, and they don't give 24 hour test drives, so I've had to hire a car to get to work. If we all knew that our cars would break down in 10 days time life would be a lot easier!

The good news (hopefully) is that one of the mechanics thinks he's seen a car with it before and knows what it is. So, fingers crossed they'll suggest something smallish like valves rather than a new turbo...

The garage have just phoned to say I have code 78(h) which is a fuel pump system error and 34(2) which is a turbo charge fault. They think if they replace the SC valves it will sort both out. I had a letter from them a couple of weeks ago offering discounts on various things as they've just taken over Toyota, so it's staying in with them to be done. Should be ready on Friday...

I've got a 53 reg Previa 2.0 D-4D that, surprisingly, is having the exact same problems i.e very sluggish accceleration, limp mode engages if accelerate heavily etc etc.

Mine is currently with Toyota who have said it's a turbo problem, but didn't mention anything about the SCV's. They haven't started doing anything yet as we are still trying to find the best price for a replacement turbo, however, after reading the comments on here, when I speak to them in the morning I'll mention replacing SCV's to them and see what they have to say.

Will update accordingly.

At last I have my car back and all seems well.

The SCVs were changed on Friday. It now starts easily, doesn't stutter when I accelerate, has the oomph it had two years ago and the engine light has not come on. The turbo and fuel fault codes have been cleared by the new valves, so fingers crossed - it's sorted.

They had a look at a front brake caliper while it was in there - it was sticking off. They tried to free it but couldn't, but in fiddling with it they made it stick on! Anyway, they wanted too much money to do that, so I've had it done locally and now I'm back on the road. At last I've been able to take the Citroen C2 hire car back - hoorray!

Adrian - I know nothing about cars, but having been through all the posts on here when my car went in last week, I'd try the scvs before a new turbo! PinkMinkee had a rav under warrantee that had thousands spent on it trying to find the problem. I don't know how to put a link to it on here, but I found it by searching her name after someone else mentioned it. I also got taken to a link in the Previa section - it seems it's a d4d problem, not just one model of car.

Further info now available.

Been in touch with www.turbocentreuk.co.uk and they had quoted £900 for a brand new turbo, but then went on to say that, as it's a Waste Gate problem, the cheapest option would be to send them the turbo, they can then fix the Waste Gate and send it back. This costs £200. They guy was very helpful indeed and said it's not only the D-4d engine that has the problem, they get the same with Fords, VWs etc.

Toyota dealer has been very helpful with this, given me a reduced rate on their labour charges and liaised with the Turbo people to arrange collection etc, so hats off them too at the moment.

Will update again when more info is at hand, but hope this is helping someone at present.

TilleyToo - If it's not the waste gate on the turbo then it will only be a minimal charge to the Turbo Centre for investigation, and I'll argue the toss with the dealer about their lack of diagnosis skills. However things turn out though, I'll be updating this thread, and the one on the MPV section too.

Further info now available.

Been in touch with www.turbocentreuk.co.uk and they had quoted £900 for a brand new turbo, but then went on to say that, as it's a Waste Gate problem, the cheapest option would be to send them the turbo, they can then fix the Waste Gate and send it back. This costs £200. They guy was very helpful indeed and said it's not only the D-4d engine that has the problem, they get the same with Fords, VWs etc.

Toyota dealer has been very helpful with this, given me a reduced rate on their labour charges and liaised with the Turbo people to arrange collection etc, so hats off them too at the moment.

Will update again when more info is at hand, but hope this is helping someone at present.

TilleyToo - If it's not the waste gate on the turbo then it will only be a minimal charge to the Turbo Centre for investigation, and I'll argue the toss with the dealer about their lack of diagnosis skills. However things turn out though, I'll be updating this thread, and the one on the MPV section too.

Thanks for following this through. I think your probably referring to the thread I started on the MPV (Previa) thread on the Turbo failure ? and as you will have seen I also had the SCV's replaced a few months after that although I did have different symptoms showing after the turbo was replaced. I have my old turbo sitting on my bench and I can't physically move the waste gate so I'm thinking it's stuck as was the diagnosis. I will be following your progress as you would expect I would think :D Good luck. I am fortunate enough to have both a Previa and a Rav4 as our transport. Rav4 showed the way in the recent bad weather however. Parked the Previa ;)

There isn't a wastegate so I don't know what they will do!