Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water In Boot

bernie+4

I said I would give the results of the visit to the bodyshop (see previous post). Rear off side corner of roof lining was lifted & a damp patch found on the underside of the roof & water running down the inside of the panel immediately to the rear of the rear quarterlight. Long length of plastic trim was removed from the roof on the offside which is clipped at each end & just pressed into place along it's length. Tiny crack was found in the paint at the extreme rear of this (this can be caused by the body naturally flexing or by letting the hatch fly up when opened) & water had caused a tiny hole- this is a very common defect. This was filled using sealer. The join immediately below this, in the hatch aperture was OK but was lined with a thin strip of sealer & painted to finish the job off. It is now hissing down with rain, & has been for the last 24hrs, & whoopee, at last, the boot is dry & I can put the wife back in. Can't have her getting wet now, can we?

Any further developments will be reported.

Quite possibly. If the water is settling in the inner wing between the two skins, then it is very likely coming from the end of the guttering/tailgate recess. Check for the most minute cracks in the paintwork around the hinges.

I've had a look and there seems to be a hairline crack between the welds at the top near the gutter. There is a little line of white paint/undercoat showing. Would it leak in there?.

That could well be the culprit. Clean the area up & work some sealer in the crack & overlap just slightly then paint. Hope this cures the problem.

• 1 month later...

I've got a 1999 CDX Estate and this boot leak thing's been driving me nuts. I've taken the rear trim panels and light clusters off and you can see the water dripping down from the frame above the light clusters. Its running along the bodywork from somewhere near the quarter light windows.

To date I have tried the following.

Hinges on the tailgate, rusted but not leaking.

Cable boots on the tailgate, again rusted but not leaking.

Light clusters - Nothing

Air vents behind the interior trim - Nothing

Boot rest spacers on body work, re-sealed and nothing.

Once I'd tried hosing the top to see where the leaks were, i figured it might be the weather strips on the rear quarter windows, watched the water seeming go along the seal towards the back of the car and then it ran out from underneath the seal about an inch before the corner. I tried heating them with a hair dryer, lifting them up and chucked in some silicon sealant. I probably didnt get enough in there as it has rained today for the first time since I did it and it hasnt worked. I am reluctant to prise the seals up too much because they probably wont go back in properly.

Any tips on outer window seal removal? I'll try the roof seals where the roof bars are too just in case its a comedy of errors.

i had the same problem on my 2000 avensis. i cured this by taking off the rear bumper and sealing these vents with a piece of plastic cut to size and some silicone sealant. this has cured the problem as i sprayed a hose pipe under the bumper and hey presto no more water. hope this helps

i had the same problem on my 2000 avensis. i cured this by taking off the rear bumper and sealing these vents with a piece of plastic cut to size and some silicone sealant. this has cured the problem as i sprayed a hose pipe under the bumper and hey presto no more water. hope this helps

On mine the water is coming from above the light fittings so it cant be from the vents. Although like I said before it could be one of these faults or all of them!

• 8 months later...

i have a 2000plate avensis 1.8 vvti i am having the same problem is it easy to sort out if it is wat did u do to sort it thank

Stopping the water getting into the boot is impossible as no one appears quite certain how the water gets in. So long as it drains away it won't cause any problems.

I fixed mine by punching a hole in the rubber bung with a leather belt punch.

My worst fear on a car, water stinks. I had one of the early Corolla’s many years ago 30,000 mile up. I used to carry test equipment in the boot well’s, until they filled up with water and wrecked my equipment. You would think that they would learn their lesson by now. Definitely not the best built cars in the world. Presently I have a saloon version, I hope no water leaks, but now design faults on the my VVTi.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to open this old thread but we have found the boot stops above the lights to perish and leak. replacing them and sealing up bolt holes with silicone should cure one of the problem areas.

• 1 month later...

my 1999 saloon used to leak water, but only when driven in rain. i found it to be a vent on the offside rear under trim. i poke and prodded it and it was loose, then fell off into bumper recess and wedged. I covered the 2"by4" hole with gaffa tape nearly 3 years ago and still hanging on :-) . It was road spray splashing up arch etc...

For what its worth i have a 1.9 d4d saloon. I sorted boot leak by taking off both light clusters (easily done) and put silicone all around both inside and outside the existing seal. I also had water inside the light cluster so what would not flow out I drilled a 2mm hole at the lowest point of the cluster and drained the water by threading a small piece of wire in and out to bleed the water from unit. then seal hole with silicone. The lens is actually perspex and can be drilled with steel bit. Three months later not a drop. magic. Pity the toyota empire couldnt sort the problem??????????

• 2 weeks later...

On our 2001 Avensis Estate, we had the spare wheel well and both side-storage areas full of water before we noticed.

(Steamy windows and musty smell before I checked it out)

Following various internet wisdom, with tailgate open and inside trim off, I poured a little water into the roof gutters, just ahead of the rear join between the roof-rail and the roof.

Sure enough, water was dripping inside the boot from above the rear light clusters.

A cupfull of water on the gutter yielded an eggcup full in the boot. I found I could drip slowly enough that NONE of the water would reach the side of the tailgate aperture; all of it went down the inside of the D pillar.

It turns out that the body sides and roof are not welded together all the way along; just up to the end of the roof rails.

Behind that, Toyota relies on the paint to keep the joint watertight.

But with the weight of the tailgate and slight flex of the roof when opened and closed, that paint cracks and the roof -to-body joint leaks.

The cure that worked for use was "Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure" which was cheap off eBay IIRC. It's used by boat owners and caravan owners because its capillary action is great for getting into hairline cracks in fibreglass.

It reminded me of the water-based varnish you can get for wooden floors. Don't know if it's the same stuff.

Anyway, I lifted the trim that covers the roof joint and applied a few drips of Tolley, watching it disappear into the paint cracks.

Wait until it goes off then repeat. And keep repeating until it no longer ends up in the boot.

Time would tell whether it's a permanent fix, or whether the cracks open up again (I suspect they would)

It's over a year since I did mine, but the car died last week, so I'll probably never know.

• 2 months later...

Yes, just found my jack underwater completely, having just bought a 2003 Avensis, bad news, this can only lead to a rust issue going forward. If it stops raining I'll get out this weekend and have a recki.

I noticed water running down the boot gutters and disappearing into a gap between the top of the rearlights and the body work, I'm a tiler so good with silicone, I ran a clear bead down the full length of the lights between the rubber seal and light itself, we'll soon see as it ****** down now :) Not what you expect of a modern car, my old landrover did the same :) Perhaps I should tile the whole car like a shower cubicle :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just discovered this topic having discovered spare tyre submerged in water in compartment under boot floor. Decided to look there when I heard water swishing around as I braked going down a steep decline. Further checking has revealed saturated carpets in rear of car but not front.

Can't believe this in a car which is only 4 years old! Looks like the problem goes on in this model of car without remedy.

Intend to visit dealer in New Year , but at least now armed with the fact that it has been a recurring problem for a number of years so it seems.

Like others on this thread, I have had Fiats in the early 70's which virtually had floating floors, but never expected this in a Toyota

• 1 month later...

I'll add another victim to this thread.

I bought a 2010 Toyota Avensis D-4D Estate late last year. Really happy with it generally. But I found 3 to 4 inches of water in the boot tonight hence my post here. It's funny that in all my years of driving various 2nd hand cars, some pretty old and beaten up, I've never had an issue such as this before. It was not on my radar at all when car shopping.

My full story involves me noticing, yesterday, that the rear foot wells were totally saturated. I towelled these out, and today had a little heater going to help the final dry out, (possibly futile until leak is fixed). I then had a look into the boot this evening and was gob smacked by the garden pond feature I've been hauling around in the wheel well. I pulled out a large bung to let it drain and then found 2 smaller bungs at two lower spots, so removed these two. I've left these 2 smaller bungs out for the time being. I then removed the rear light access covers and could see water on the inside metal surface of the inner body skin. so its comming in above that level.

Could the water in the rear foot well simply be from water slouching out of the wheel well under braking, say when going down hill? I could live with that scenario until i get a proper fix, because the wheel well now drains.

I'm working on the assumption that the leak is coming from the gutters and somewhere in the sides of the rear hatch opening.

I'm interested in more/any success stories in respect to 1) finding the leaks, 2) beating the leaks, 3) what Toyota have done for you.

I'm new to the forum, and may simply have not found it, but I think, based on the history and common nature of this issue a Pinned or Sticky thread would be useful.

Tomorrow I'll be contacting Toyota. The vehicle has a 5 year/100,000 mile comprehensive warranty. I have no idea if this is worth anything in respect to this issue. Anyway, I'll find out and generally update you on my progress regards fixing this.

Cheers,

Grogey

I discovered that the water was coming in along a seam running along the rear section of the spare whell well. If you look inside the rear well and run your finger along the metal you should feel it. I paid Mr T a visit and they have replaced the complete seal which runs round the tailgate section.

The work was carried out last Friday and to date it seems to have done the trick.

This was done under warranty.

Hope this helps

I could see water on the inside metal surface of the inner body skin

Could the water in the rear foot well simply be from water slouching out of the wheel well under braking?

I had exactly the same issue on a 2009 T27 Avensis saloon ie water (it actually looked like very bad condensation droplets) on the inner metal surface of the body skin (high up) and a pond in the spare wheel well. There's a vent low down behind the side panel trim in the boot (behind the side of the bumper) and the dealer replaced the vent (and seal) curing the problem. Apparently it's not uncommon. I had just bought my car so had no quibbles with the dealer and I'd like to think it would be covered by the 5yr warranty anyway in your case.

There's every chance the rear footwell could be the water sloshing about, judging by how much was in mine.

I'm sure I posted about my leak at the time, I'll have a look and edit with a link if i find it.

Edit...here's the link

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/143477-t27-saloon-water-in-boot/

Reading the link together with the above info might sound confusing but i actually fixed one side myself and the dealer did the other side.

I could see water on the inside metal surface of the inner body skin

Could the water in the rear foot well simply be from water slouching out of the wheel well under braking?

I had exactly the same issue on a 2009 T27 Avensis saloon ie water (it actually looked like very bad condensation droplets) on the inner metal surface of the body skin (high up) and a pond in the spare wheel well. There's a vent low down behind the side panel trim in the boot (behind the side of the bumper) and the dealer replaced the vent (and seal) curing the problem. Apparently it's not uncommon. I had just bought my car so had no quibbles with the dealer and I'd like to think it would be covered by the 5yr warranty anyway in your case.

There's every chance the rear footwell could be the water sloshing about, judging by how much was in mine.

I'm sure I posted about my leak at the time, I'll have a look and edit with a link if i find it.

Edit...here's the link

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/143477-t27-saloon-water-in-boot/

Reading the link together with the above info might sound confusing but i actually fixed one side myself and the dealer did the other side.

Looks like a common problem then in this model.

One small matter with the dealer repair which I did not mention was that on receiving my car back after the repair, the 2 central rear parking sensors were damaged. Dealer swears they were not to blame and I have to accept their word. They did mention however that the did remove the rear bumper to replace the seal and I do wonder whether you need to remove these sensors to do this. Does anyone know please?

Quoted circa £80 to replace with genuine colour coded Toyota replacements. Seems a bit steep when you see these items for sale on eBay for washers.

Whilst this is a bit of a niggle, I have to say that overall I have had excellent service from the dealer starting from Day 1.

The vent is pushed in from the outside so the bumper needs slackened so they can pull the end outwards for access. I don't see them removing the bumper unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for all the replies, Guys. These are appreciated and will allow me to discuss the issue with Toyota with some sound knowledge.

I never got to speak to my local Toyota centre today. After a bunch of calls and no answer I needed to get on with other things. I've found before they are slow to pick up the phone when busy with customers in store. I think I might just call in and speak face to face.

By what route is water reaching the rear vents? I'm assuming simply down the outside of the car through the failed vent seals.

If the vents are the cause, then droplets higher up could only be from condensation.

Has anyone found body panel seams to be the cause? I'd been guessing something was letting water in at the roof gutters?

Cheers

Grogey