Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Question

Mason666

So I searched the forums and found that after lowering 30mm or more people have trouble with 17s sometimes even 16s.

Now is this purely down to width issues or the height of 17s? I ask because I'm looking to get 16s but have 195/45s front and 215/40s at the rear. Will the width at the rear be an issue?

Wheels have an offset of 42 if that helps?

Thanks

the width shouldnt be an issue as long as you lower 30 mm all round as the back is around 2 mm higher than the front i think which will compensate for the bigger width. this isnt normally a problem anyway with 16s so you should be alright mate! lower away :thumbsup:

i wouldnt recommend carrying too many obese people around in the back mind you ;)

I used to have 16's on my t sport 185/45/r16's with tein spring springs, and it scrubbed like f*ck whenever anybody was in the back, so be careful

15's FTW!! ;)

I used to have 16's on my t sport 185/45/r16's with tein spring springs, and it scrubbed like f*ck whenever anybody was in the back, so be careful

15's FTW!! ;)

Looking at your topics isn't yours on custom coil overs hence a lot lower than mine would be?

Just have to ask as you and Kenty have very different thoughts lol :(

Drews had 16's on with tein springs which is basically 35mm at front and 38mm at back lowering

Then je got coilovers with 15's at same time so yes alot lower now!

16's should be a problem with 30mm lowering mate as long as springs are reasonably hard and not cheap!

Adam

Drews had 16's on with tein springs which is basically 35mm at front and 38mm at back lowering

Then je got coilovers with 15's at same time so yes alot lower now!

16's should be a problem with 30mm lowering mate as long as springs are reasonably hard and not cheap!

Adam

I'll be using Tein S Tech springs so should be good enough I would of thought, but most people don't want to fit 215/40s on the back.

I know 195s would be ok but I'm looking at 215s

It's an awkward question I know

IMO 215/40x16's will be too wide.. the height of the tyre will be fine as it is 1.04% lower than the standard 185/55x15's.

I'm sure someone on here, (possibly moffmo?) had 215's and had problems with rubbing. I personally would go with either 195/45x16 all round or 205/45x16 (only 1.1% taller than standard) on the rear.

Remember, although the 215's are slightly, and I mean very slightly, lower in height than standard you are also lowering your car by over 30mm with the Tien's and its not just the arch that get's lowered (I know that sounds stupid) the whole inner wing comes doiwn too.. this is where you can have issues with the 215's... I'm not saying it will definitely rub.. all I am saying is that there is more chance of them rubbing than not rubbing.

IMO 215/40x16's will be too wide.. the height of the tyre will be fine as it is 1.04% lower than the standard 185/55x15's.

I'm sure someone on here, (possibly moffmo?) had 215's and had problems with rubbing. I personally would go with either 195/45x16 all round or 205/45x16 (only 1.1% taller than standard) on the rear.

Remember, although the 215's are slightly, and I mean very slightly, lower in height than standard you are also lowering your car by over 30mm with the Tien's and its not just the arch that get's lowered (I know that sounds stupid) the whole inner wing comes doiwn too.. this is where you can have issues with the 215's... I'm not saying it will definitely rub.. all I am saying is that there is more chance of them rubbing than not rubbing.

This is the kind of reply I needed, much appreciated

I just want something a bit bigger than 195 on the back but everything I've seen says 195 is biggest possible for front (no archwork).

There is still a possibility that the 205's will rub.. just depends on how low it ends up, wheel offset and what you put in the car, some people have had rubbing issues even with 195/45's.

I had 205/40x17's all round on my 1.0, now.. I know the T-Sport is 30mm lower than that as standard, I never lowered the 1.0 but I used to put all my camping gear in it, this consisted of a 9 man tent, 5 chairs, 5 airbeds and folding beds, table and 4 chairs, 5 sleeping bags, 2 hob camping stove and a bottle of gas (small one) there were a few more bits n bobs too, yes.. it all fitted.. with the help of a roof box :lol:, with all that in the car it must have lowered it by at least 60mm and the only time it rubbed was when we went over a fairly harsh dip in the road.. motorways were fine. So it can be a bit of a lottery whether or not you will have rubbing issues.. to keep the chance to a minimum go for 195/45's all round.

There is still a possibility that the 205's will rub.. just depends on how low it ends up, wheel offset and what you put in the car, some people have had rubbing issues even with 195/45's.

I had 205/40x17's all round on my 1.0, now.. I know the T-Sport is 30mm lower than that as standard, I never lowered the 1.0 but I used to put all my camping gear in it, this consisted of a 9 man tent, 5 chairs, 5 airbeds and folding beds, table and 4 chairs, 5 sleeping bags, 2 hob camping stove and a bottle of gas (small one) there were a few more bits n bobs too, yes.. it all fitted.. with the help of a roof box :lol:, with all that in the car it must have lowered it by at least 60mm and the only time it rubbed was when we went over a fairly harsh dip in the road.. motorways were fine. So it can be a bit of a lottery whether or not you will have rubbing issues.. to keep the chance to a minimum go for 195/45's all round.

It's a shame what you're saying is probably true 'cause I thought it would of looked so good at the back with fat tyres.

You could always fit a wide arch kit on the back.

Trying to avoid one decision meaning more work, like a knock on effect.

I think I'll go 195 all round and live with it. To be fair Yaris' are tiny anyway. I think I mainly got the idea cause my brother used to have a Vauxhall Astra on 215s and it was fit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links