Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8vvti 02reg - Buying Advice

newbee

hi, i am a new bee in toyota forums, have been browsing this forum for a couple of months as i am interested to buy an Avensis

can anyone pls advice on buying a 1.8vvti 02 reg, 50k on clock for 2.3k ono, need to know how the maintenance is or if any major issues with these engines

i currently drive a 1.9tdi sport passat r reg with 120k on clock (still 50mpg), after a long time i am looking to get a petrol engine, dont know if it suits me

any advice would be welcome pls

saying that i have looked at the oil consumption issue, has toyota done anything abt it or??

SORRY FORGOT TO MENTION ITS AUTO TRANSMISSION

steering racks can be an issue.

take it to a car park and do some general manouvers, if its broken you should be able to feel it in the steering easy.

as for the oil, it gets talked about non stop here as if EVERY avensis burns oil at a silly rate. This isnt true, my car goes through about a litre a month which i do approx 3000 miles in that time. with 80k on the clock

if its got a full service history then its not a bad buy.

hi, i am a new bee in toyota forums, have been browsing this forum for a couple of months as i am interested to buy an Avensis

can anyone pls advice on buying a 1.8vvti 02 reg, 50k on clock for 2.3k ono, need to know how the maintenance is or if any major issues with these engines

i currently drive a 1.9tdi sport passat r reg with 120k on clock (still 50mpg), after a long time i am looking to get a petrol engine, dont know if it suits me

saying that i have looked at the oil consumption issue, has toyota done anything abt it or??

toyota's are great in terms of reliability and Avensis is renowned for Mini-Cabs - highly reliable and fuel efficient. I bought my avensis about a month ago with £2600 at 77K mileage. Drives very nice, and petrol consumption about 11 km/litre - which is quite decent.

Just check if there was a cam-belt replacement and has a full toyota service history. Check steering and brakes as well. Rest all should be fine.

toyota's are great in terms of reliability and Avensis is renowned for Mini-Cabs - highly reliable and fuel efficient. I bought my avensis about a month ago with £2600 at 77K mileage. Drives very nice, and petrol consumption about 11 km/litre - which is quite decent.

Just check if there was a cam-belt replacement and has a full toyota service history. Check steering and brakes as well. Rest all should be fine.

Hi,

Just to tell my feedback , if you check any trading websites like autotrader, which I do even today , most of the older xx-FE engine(X REG and before) series fitted cars do more miles and sell for almost the same as the newer VVTi ones . As you would read in all the posts.So pls cjeck all maint. records before buying the car.

Good Luck,

G.

steering racks can be an issue.

take it to a car park and do some general manouvers, if its broken you should be able to feel it in the steering easy.

as for the oil, it gets talked about non stop here as if EVERY avensis burns oil at a silly rate. This isnt true, my car goes through about a litre a month which i do approx 3000 miles in that time. with 80k on the clock

if its got a full service history then its not a bad buy.

Hi,

of the different cars I have driven and heard of, I have never heard of any engines which consume oil at the rate of 1 liter per 1000 miles or even 1 liter per 10000 miles. I agree that oil viscosity changes as the engine runs more miles , but only so much , never to the extent that oil is burnt along with petrol. Only toyota VVTi engines seem to have this problem. my 4afe 1.6 has done 88k and still does not drink any oil ,it still has as much oil it had as when I took it from the dealer.It does frequent short runs for 2-3 miles and I have been doing just that for the last 3 months - the oil remains at the same level and done almost 600 miles. I also think that a lot of the VVTI engines themselves,do not have a lot of oil drinking issues. But I reckon that most of the VVTI avensis which sell for under 2.5k and single owner cars might be having this issue , so the only bet is to buy a car with full toyota history.

HTH,

Cheers,

G.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links