Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Hilux Front Hubs

jimmypewtress

Hi

I'm into mountain biking and have just bought a Mk3 Hilux to carry my bike about in. Never having owned a 4x4 before and not knowing much about cars I wondered if somebody could tell me about the free-wheeling hubs at the front.

If I want to use four-wheel drive and manually lock the hubs, does this lock the diff as well or not? ie do I need to be on loose ground? Also, what happens if I leave the hubs locked but use the 2H box? Am I right in thinking that even though no power will go through the wheels they will still be connected to all the running gear, causing drag and therefore using more fuel?

Any information or explanations much appreciated

you should only use your 4wd system on off road conditions ie snow, mud grass,

using the 4wd drive on roads for every day use can damage your truck, as the surf do not have a centre diff

Hi

I'm into mountain biking and have just bought a Mk3 Hilux to carry my bike about in. Never having owned a 4x4 before and not knowing much about cars I wondered if somebody could tell me about the free-wheeling hubs at the front.

If I want to use four-wheel drive and manually lock the hubs, does this lock the diff as well or not? ie do I need to be on loose ground? Also, what happens if I leave the hubs locked but use the 2H box? Am I right in thinking that even though no power will go through the wheels they will still be connected to all the running gear, causing drag and therefore using more fuel?

Any information or explanations much appreciate

I have a 3rd gen surf..and it has a centre diff so you CAN use the 4wd on tarmac...Quite useful I find in the wet!

I have a 3rd gen surf..and it has a centre diff so you CAN use the 4wd on tarmac...Quite useful I find in the wet!

Why do you need 4wd on tarmac, just wears out the tyres quicker.