Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Idle Revs?

reena187

hi, everytime i start my car it revs very high (1900 rpm) and comes down to 1000 after a good 8-10 min.

also if the car has been driven (and is warm) 3 hours later it will rev this high again.

there is something wrong with my car because it was never this bad before.

has anybody had a similar experience or know how to remedy this?

thanks

hi, everytime i start my car it revs very high (1900 rpm) and comes down to 1000 after a good 8-10 min.

also if the car has been driven (and is warm) 3 hours later it will rev this high again.

thanks

Is that the vvtl-i engine,cause if it is mine does that,idles bout 15-1600 when cold,after bout 3 min of driving is at 900ish.

thanks

Is that the vvtl-i engine,cause if it is mine does that,idles bout 15-1600 when cold,after bout 3 min of driving is at 900ish.

no it is a L reg celica gt.... thanks

thanks

You might need to replace the Thermostat Reena - do a quick search on thermostats in the Celica section on this forum (plenty of threads on it) - I've had to buy one recently for my 6th gen (£10 on Ebay) - the thermostat was buggered and the engine idled at around 1800-1900 - it took ages to heat up if at all - but just have a quick read up on it first to see if you've got the same syptoms.

if its still happening have you tried squirting some wd40/carb cleaner on the air intake on the carb/throttle body?when mine played up it was because the flappy bit was stuck open a little by built up gunge just whip off the bit from the air filter and give her a good squirt might help the problem

• 2 weeks later...

if it was the thermostat surely u wouldnt get heat via ur vents then? mine does it too and it goes to normal idle ..like said after car warms up in 10 mins or so..

hi i have a 7th gen celica 140 and during start up it will hit 2000 rpm but will usualy calm down too 800 rpm after few minutes of driving, i havnt had my celica long i just thought it was normal behavior

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links