Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ae92 Rear Brake Refurb

L4AGZE

Hi all,

Im in the process of doing a full refurb on my AE92 rear brake calipers. As everyone knows these calipers were one of the worst designed items on the AE92 as they always seize if not tended too. Well I have decided to strip them completely but have come up against a bit of a problem. Once the piston has been removed a special Toyota service tool is required to remove a circlip to release the handbrake mechanism. I have asked at my local Toyota dealer and they are stumped too.

Does anyone know what the part number for the toll is or what alternative tool can be used. I have had a good look round and cant find anything that would fit.

Oh and if anyone looks in the Haynes manual for the part number of the tool its not correct or no longer available I think as i did ask at Toyota.

i wouldn't even bother trying, attempted this last year and the caliper went thro the window, your struggle getting it back together,

best idea is to source some good second hand ones or a set of recon ones :D

try brakes engineering in wrexham(they got a website i think). i think thats why they stopped putting the handbrake mechanism on the caliper. had the same on mine. you can buy recon calipers for reasonable money and brakes engineering are good to deal with and very helpful.

i wouldn't even bother trying, attempted this last year and the caliper went thro the window, your struggle getting it back together,

try brakes engineering in wrexham(they got a website i think). i think thats why they stopped putting the handbrake mechanism on the caliper. had the same on mine. you can buy recon calipers for reasonable money and brakes engineering are good to deal with and very helpful.

Reconditioned calipers cost about £80 each on an exchange basis. Its about half the cost to fully refurb a caliper including changing the piston so makes sense to go the refurb route really :)

I will google brakes engineering and see if they can help or offer any advice, thanks.

Reconditioned calipers cost about £80 each on an exchange basis. Its about half the cost to fully refurb a caliper including changing the piston so makes sense to go the refurb route really :)

I will google brakes engineering and see if they can help or offer any advice, thanks.

i paid £70 for mine - new handbrake mech, new piston... well all that could be replaced was. why spend all that time for such a small amount of money. i weighed up both so it was a simple choice - i started to refurb my old ones and it was more agro than worth, my sliders had basically welded themselves.

When you have a total of four pairs of AE92 calipers it makes sense to save money if you can :D

Im not going to go into what i think the benefits are of doing the refurb myself or if its easier to exchange them. The question was regarding the tool to take the circlip out.

Anyway I may have come across a solution will post up once im sure it works :thumbsup:

When you have a total of four pairs of AE92 calipers it makes sense to save money if you can :D

Im not going to go into what i think the benefits are of doing the refurb myself or if its easier to exchange them. The question was regarding the tool to take the circlip out.

Anyway I may have come across a solution will post up once im sure it works :thumbsup:

how easy is it to refurb the front calipers? - got a pair that needs doing........ the problemi had on the rear ones was the slider welded itself to the caliper - neglect on my part for not greasing them when servicing..... live and learn! i didnt get as far as trying to take the handbrake mech off.......... appreciate why you want to do it yourself :thumbsup:

how easy is it to refurb the front calipers? - got a pair that needs doing........ the problemi had on the rear ones was the slider welded itself to the caliper - neglect on my part for not greasing them when servicing..... live and learn! i didnt get as far as trying to take the handbrake mech off.......... appreciate why you want to do it yourself :thumbsup:

I havent done the front ones before myself but they should be relatively easy to do theres not much to them and no handbrake mechanism behind the piston to deal with! I've got a Haynes manual somewhere if you want scans of the relevant pages let me know :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links