Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40,000 Mile Service

Blacksheep

About 3 months ago I had a 40,000 mile service done on my TS Corolla, i think the 40,000 is a bigger service, anyway had it done in Toyota World Bridgend, can't remember exactly how much it cost but it was in the £220-£240 region.

Anyway when i had the car back I noticed the handbrake hadn't been adjusted so I phoned TWB and asked if I could bring it in as they had obviously missed it in the service, the reply I had was handbrake adjustment is not included in a Full service but i could take it down to them and they would adjust it for £50...

I thought <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s to that and took it to another garage and had it done for £30 this garage told me a full service should inc handbrake adjustment... :-)

Anyway spoke to a guy on the weekend who works for toyota who also told me they should have done the handbrake in with the service and i should have had a sheet with the little boxes ticked and apparantly one of them is handbrake adjustment.

Before I phone TWB back up and have a moan does anybody know if its supposed to be done or is it down to the individual garage.

BTW I've had pretty good service there before but feel like i might have been stung...

adjust it yourself mate..... £50 to turn a screw! funk dat. if you look on like the drum party of the rear disc you will see a screw head - turn that until correct adjustment. i think you'll find it says check on the service and adjustment is extra. i cant see how mr t reckons its nearly an hours labour? they sound like a right rip - off

Yup, it's part of the 40k service, even if it was only an intermediate service i still make sure my lads adjust it!!

i just had the 40k service done 6 weeks ago box has been ticked to say brakes checked, in my honest opinion they should be checking the brakes on a major service regardless, especially when we are coughing up 200 notes of our hard earned cash

My mate used to work in Toyota Bridgend and i never had any issue's reguards servicing, warranty etc.

But its proving pretty difficult to find a good garage around here I took my car for an MOT around the corner from work which is a pretty established garage (certainly been there for years) and anyway they did the MOT no problem asked them to adjust the handbrake as well, when i picked the car up the had done the MOT but didn't have time to adjust the handbrake and quote "they are fiddly adjustment has to be made on the disc calipers" now i'm no expert but I thought the handbrake was drum on the rear it concerns me slightly as they've supposed to have done a full MOT...

The h/brake still may of passed MOt as long as it locked sufficently (spelling?????) and the lever its self still had some reserve travel, it's really no big deal removing the wheels to adjust the handbrake shoes and if ness the cable itself.

Chris

i had my rear discs and pads done at 40k service have to say the job done by mr t was s**t hot handbrake the lot was tightened up

mine went in last month for its 2nd year service and they tightened everything up, including the handbrake, and your right it is on the checksheet, i just had a look at mine.

Had my 40k service a couple of weeks back and just had it back in for the handbrake to be tightened.

The handbrake lever was gradually getting higher and the last straw came when it didn't hold my car on the driveway. :angry:

One phone call and car sorted same day free of charge.

The only thing that concerns me, why wasn't it done correctly first time??

• 4 years later...

£220-£240 for a service!!!!!! I'm glad I do my own. (I know it's done right every time that way too!) ;)