Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Easy Way To Get 12v For Fridge

Wudzy

Hi all,

Just got a 2001 RAV4 5door petrol with FSH and only 35k on the clock...really chuffed with it.

As you can see I am a newbie but have read quite a few posts and found them most helpful.

My problem is how can I pickup 12v able to supply 11amp for the fridge..etc for the 12s socket.

Is there a point near the rear and if not what is the best route to the Battery without a hard hat and a risk assessment statement.

I will be fitting a towequip bar and dedicated wiring unit for the 12n, so I will let you know how it goes and if the door will open with this unit...etc

I would also like to know where the paint code can be found so I can paint the bits that will show.

Also the double press for the alarm is ultra critical..i.e. tends to go off on its own..OK with just one press though.

Many thanks in anticipation

John

Hi all,

Just got a 2001 RAV4 5door petrol with FSH and only 35k on the clock...really chuffed with it.

As you can see I am a newbie but have read quite a few posts and found them most helpful.

My problem is how can I pickup 12v able to supply 11amp for the fridge..etc for the 12s socket.

Is there a point near the rear and if not what is the best route to the battery without a hard hat and a risk assessment statement.

I will be fitting a towequip bar and dedicated wiring unit for the 12n, so I will let you know how it goes and if the door will open with this unit...etc

I would also like to know where the paint code can be found so I can paint the bits that will show.

Also the double press for the alarm is ultra critical..i.e. tends to go off on its own..OK with just one press though.

Many thanks in anticipation

John

Hi John and welcome -

I'm by no means an expert on 5 door RAVs as you will have seen, or will become aware....

11amps sounds reasonably hefty to me for a supply (you running a mortuary or sumpthin?) - perhaps one of the guys here who has had/has a '01 model can say about the electrics. If it was me, I'd think about running a new cable/s from alternator through to caravan socket, protected by fuses etc. Then again, I took my feed for the 6 Cibies direct from my Battery - same difference I suppose. If you are running a cable, make sure it can take well in excess of 11amps, and is even better protected from muck if under the car; and from physical damage if within the car.

And the caravan I have has a 7KW diesel generator already implanted for the 4kw of halide floodlighting so its self sufficient - if I want heating in the caravan I use propane space heater.

Paint code - the handbook should show where but is it not part of the identification number on a plate somewhere...?

good luck

once the others get back from refilling their diesels, I'm sure you will get more helpful comments...

No there is no easy way if you want to be safe. As bothy says you have to right to the front of the vehicle as picking up a supply at the back will end in tears and an insurance claim. Follow this advice;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...17-X0561-00.pdf

The paint and trim code is on the VIN plate. On your model I think you will find it on the LH (RH as you look) suspension turret under the bonnet. Later models have it at the bottom of the B pillar when you open the passenger door.

Good luck.

paint code is first three characters on bottom line of plate. (8M6 if it is lagoon blue) Blimey these new fangled fridges take a lot , I think mine is 8 amps. Had the sockets and bar fitted by Mr T when I bought it new and I have to say they did a good job. Thanks for that techdoc link just going to print it. Double locking is only set if you press the fob twice and the third time disables interior sensors on mine. Don't forget the florescent jacket!

Don't forget there can be issues with the rear door catching on the ball depending on type of towball and width of tyres.

Thanks all.

I will have a crawl under the beast tomorrow as I have been told it is "easier" to run a wire under the car in flexible 10mm water pipe and wire ties to get to the Battery. 11amps is some current, the fridge hand book says around 130watt is required. the caravan is some 9yrs old and I think the newer models have much better insulation and require less current or should I say "have a much smaller carbon footprint". It did snow here yesterday and for the life in me could I see any black footprints, big or small....I should have listened in my science lessons, must have missed something!

Ok about the code I will have a look tomorrow.

I think though this vehicle may be jinxed, only drove it 10 yards since buying.

After the gales we had a lump of what must have been ridge tile cement came off the roof and broke the rear window....arrrgggg. I contacted Autoglass who rang this morning that the window had arrive and could I go and have it fitted.

12 miles later,just as I was driving into the Autoglass garage my mobile rang...My wife to tell me that Autoglass had rang to say do not come as one of the heater wires was missing on the new window only to be confirmed by the fitter who was just about to welcome me with the bad news.....double arrrrgggg!

So there it is...New window tomorrow..hopefully. Perhaps it may be wise to sell the caravan and reduce any further risks..Hi!!!

I will keep you posted.

Cheers

John

Just change the fridge to mains, and run a generator - or use the propane/butane option it should have. If you go for mains, you might get away with an old UPS which you can pick up at auctions for pennies??

Or just crawl about the driveway . Watch you don't put the tubing close to the exhaust or prop as if it all goes up in flames, it will be seen as a mod and so self-inflicted....

try fitting a windmill to the top of the caravan to generate 12Volts, taking care on low bridges and low flying planes - quite a sight gunning down the M1 (?) with a windmill on top. Make your own by advertising for a spitfire propellor and welding it to a dynamo = must be one on fleebay somewhere as theres plenty of other junk advertised

(I'm not really bitter about the false description of a landrover I bought thru fleebay - since when did a 1968 LR owned for 4 years find itself to be a 1963 version actually owned for 15 months...? Buyer beware and seller look-out!!!! :blowup:

Just change the fridge to mains, and run a generator - or use the propane/butane option it should have. If you go for mains, you might get away with an old UPS which you can pick up at auctions for pennies??

Or just crawl about the driveway . Watch you don't put the tubing close to the exhaust or prop as if it all goes up in flames, it will be seen as a mod and so self-inflicted....

try fitting a windmill to the top of the caravan to generate 12Volts, taking care on low bridges and low flying planes - quite a sight gunning down the M1 (?) with a windmill on top. Make your own by advertising for a spitfire propellor and welding it to a dynamo = must be one on fleebay somewhere as theres plenty of other junk advertised

(I'm not really bitter about the false description of a landrover I bought thru fleebay - since when did a 1968 LR owned for 4 years find itself to be a 1963 version actually owned for 15 months...? Buyer beware and seller look-out!!!! :blowup:

Well I decided to go for the mains option seeing I have now got a 4x4.

I have had great trouble building up the power pick-up gantry on the roof so that it can accommodate the various heights of pylons.

The wife is not too happy about the room taken in the caravan with the oil filled step down transformer, are thy never happy, Cold food at no cost and once I exchange the Rav power unit and replace it with four ex washing machine motors one for each wheel...heck she should be ecstatic ....no petrol bills.

Can anyone provide me with a sort of road map but, showing the national grid so that I can plan my next trip to Cornwall.

Watch the next series of "Dragon's Den" I will have no problem getting 250K for the mass production off the above.

You know British ingenuity comes to the forefront when you have a challenging problem.

Cheers

John

PS anyone want to buy 5 mtrs of 12mm cable and the same length of 10mm water pipe...Oh and there might be an ungrateful wife thrown in!

Just a small point, would it affect my insurance as I would be off road most of the time therefore less risk, any reduction may be balanced out the extra yearly insurance mileage cost.

Hahaha

good one.

But you've missed out on the obvious!

An induction loop set up to take the power from the street lighting, with a Battery back-up.

I tried the pylon thing and drove out the driveway to then encounter the low hung street lighting cable. Suing the Council didn't work so i got my own back by using the street lights. like the high voltage pylons, its not metered, but is run at a lower voltage. Only trouble is I found you have to travel at night......

Hahaha

good one.

But you've missed out on the obvious!

An induction loop set up to take the power from the street lighting, with a battery back-up.

I tried the pylon thing and drove out the driveway to then encounter the low hung street lighting cable. Suing the Council didn't work so i got my own back by using the street lights. like the high voltage pylons, its not metered, but is run at a lower voltage. Only trouble is I found you have to travel at night......

You have done it again...a re-think.....The gantry will be taken off the roof today..I have ordered some metal bars and the local brickie is about to start building a three sided room on the roof with the bars making up the other wall. He is sure no footings are required as the RAV4 roof is very strong.

Now just a little problem in finishing this Fuel Cell...what fuel should I use, I was led to believe it should be hydrogen..surly it will leak through the gap between the bars. anyway that is the way forward...clean and green...suppose I could keep the gas say in a Netto bag (recycling) not too sure on the connections but, suppose it will all fall into place once built. I could Google it if I get stuck, I can't be that far off as I have the main components Fuel and a Cell, I mean what more could be needed...some wire, I have the motors....now I know how Archimedes felt!

Getting this Rav has really changed my thought patterns, the wife used to say I was stupid, well all that has now changed..thanks Toyota! Oh and thanks to your good self for making me look at the problem laterally..best Forum I have joined.

Cheers

John

I had mentioned some time ago that if you run with propane as a fuel, and run out, then fa##ing into the tank will get you out of a hole.

To develop the process to optimum output, try making a brussel sprout vindaloo...and don't waste time on the rice. A quiet word with the local nurse might help source a tube etc to vent the gas to the tank....

For back up, tie a couple of suitably adapted cows(cattle) to the tow bar - or even in your new enclosure) and feed them on the same. Not only will gas be free, but the residue will be rich enough to brew more explosive liquid!

Do the Greens eat sprouts??

Ah ha Wudzy, your starting to talk bothwellese. I told you it would happen.

You know bothy has a caravan with enough floodlights for 2 Wembly Stadiums (you think I,m kidding don't you) well I think your RAV pylon conversion would make a good match. Oh and if you think his lights aren't using quite as much juice as they should he knows a few few tricks with leccy meters. Scottish Power send him a cheque every month.

I would have run a wire to the Battery myself ;)

And another thing, anyone who lives in NE Lancs is close enough to Warrington to come for a tyre kicking sesh and noggin in May :thumbsup:

Ah ha Wudzy, your starting to talk bothwellese. I told you it would happen.

You know bothy has a caravan with enough floodlights for 2 Wembly Stadiums (you think I,m kidding don't you) well I think your RAV pylon conversion would make a good match. Oh and if you think his lights aren't using quite as much juice as they should he knows a few few tricks with leccy meters. Scottish Power send him a cheque every month.

I would have run a wire to the battery myself ;)

And another thing, anyone who lives in NE Lancs is close enough to Warrington to come for a tyre kicking sesh and noggin in May :thumbsup:

No bgrs kicking ma tyres and live.....! I'll bring the LR tae sicken ye all...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links