Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Increasing Engine Rpm On 1.6 Carina E

lewisc

My first post, I hope someone can help!

Recently on my parents 1994 Carina E fitted with the 1.6 litre engine the engine rpm continues to rise after the accelerator pedal has been released.

The pedal appears to return fully, however the engine speed rises to around 3000rpm and then drops slowly after the accelerator pedal is pressed again. This happens in gear and in neutral.

I've manually opened the throttle using the throttle spindle and it feels smooth throughout and when I release it the throttle plate returns quickly and sharply back to its closed position.

My parents have commented that the accelerator pedal feels no different to before.

Any ideas? I was thinking the accelerator cable may be frayed and is sticking, is this common?

The idle speed is fine which leads me to believe the idle control valve is working fine.

Any advice or ideas as to what the problem could be caused by are appreciated.

Thanks, Lewis

Am I correct in assuming that the engine also revs erratically when blip it using the throttle lever by hand?

I would recommend getting a copy of the Haynes manual (unless you have one already) Page 4A.8 has a procedure for a diagnostic test.

Personally I think that the idle contol valve is at fault.

Giving the throttle body a good clean might solve the problem and keep costs down

see:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...tle_Bodies.aspx

sounds like an air leak to my poss air pipe loss air leak in to manifold behine throttle housing (more air getting in inlet manifold )

Tickover would never be steady with an air leak.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links