Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check Engine Light On

kalaichezhian

My 1998 Camry V6(Japan make) has 70,000 miles. This morning I noticed the check engine light was on. The mechanic in Tire Plus checked using obd2 code reader. The disgonistic code was P0135 Heated Oxygen Sensor 2. Only one sensor is bad but he advised me to change all the THREE OXYGEN sensors and given me a quote for about $400. That include original parts from Toyota and the labor cost. Can someone help me with the following question................

(a) Does my camry really has three sensors?

(B) Is it necessary to replace all the three sensor when only one of them is bad

© Where can I shop around for a cheaper price.

Thanks.

Kalai.

I just bought a 97 V6 Camry, so I bought a book also. It says

Two oxygen sensors are used. The Primary sensor is in the exhaust manifold (upstream) and the second oxygen sensor is after the cat converter (down stream)

by sampling the exhaust before and after the converter, the PCM can determine the needed mixture.

So no, you only have 2. The one in the manifold would take 5 minutes for a shop to change, the other is in the exhaust pipe, so they have jack up the car, get under it. Once in place 3 minutes to change the sensor.

O2 sensors sell for 30 to 70+ dollars depending where you buy it at. I think I read a post on the where someone found them for like 25 bucks.

So now you have 50 to 100 bucks in parts, At Most 1 hour labor.

Yea, 400 sound too much to me. For 20 bucks you can buy the book I have that will tell you how to do it. Then a couple sensors, Umm...beside.... he was wrong.

as far as i know there is 3 sensors 1 main and a sub oxygen sensor and the other is an exhaust gas heat sensor the sensors are a service item you will get up 50- 60k out of them before they fail. they are used to mix the correct air fuel ratio so you get the correct miles per gallon and also help to keep emissions at the right levels by getting a proper fuel burn

Thank you both for your response. I have been surfing around to find how many sensors the Camry has. The Toyota parts center list only two of them, in stream and out stream only, so as many of the online store. The few of the auto store I inquired never heard of the third sensor. Does the third one, main oxygen sensor, as Celica Kid explained is same as intake or outtake?

I don't know how to explain, CHECK ENGINE light problem seems to be resolved (!!!) mysteriously . This morning when I turn the engine the light came ON but it went OFF when the engine was running. I have tried around 10 times and couldn't duplicate the problem. The only thing I did was to open the hood and close.

I have to have a close watch for the problem to reappear again. In the meantime I have postponed the idea to replace the sensors and save the bucks for holidays.

Thank you my friends (MyV6Flys & Celica Kid) for your great help. Kalai.

• 2 weeks later...

The code is still in the computer and the light will come back on eventually when it detects the problem.You will notice less power and fuel economy as it worsens, but you should have time to call around for a reasonable price.

You are right Joe. I did notice the light did came back and stays on. I have finally decided to replace my oxigen sensors. What I am more confused about is the number of sensors that I have to replace. Every time I inquire I get different kind of answers. Some mechanic says it is only two. Some swear it is three. Some says Califorina state requires THREE and others only TWO. I live in Florida. Can someone tell me how many of them I really need to replace to have my problem fixed.

Thanks, Kalai.

There are 3 oxygen sensors on the V-6.There are two upstream,one on each exh. manifold,and one downstream.The code your car displays is for a heated o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction(bank 1,sensor 1) which I believe is the one at the rear of the engine-upstream.(imagine that!).

Ok, while what Joe says makes since. My Camry book for 1997 - 1999 4 cylinder and V6 says there is two.

It show the first one in the exhaust manifold. Same place Both 4 and 6 bangers. The book also talks about 1 after the cat in the exhaust pipe.

The one I think is setting the error is close and eays to get to. You will need to buy a special socket to do it. There cheaper than takes it to a garage.

Open the hood, looking down close to you, you see the exhaust manifold, there is a thing sticking out of it with a black wire like looking thing screwed into it. Look between the motor mount and the shock mount. Now looking between those two look up at the exhaust manifold. You should plainly see the O2 sensor.

Change it first then wait to see if the light comes back on.

My book may be wrong, it would not be the first car book to be wrong.

There are 3 oxygen sensors on the V-6.There are two upstream,one on each exh. manifold,and one downstream.The code your car displays is for a heated o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction(bank 1,sensor 1) which I believe is the one at the rear of the engine-upstream.(imagine that!).

We replaced 2 oxygen sensors last week on our '98 V6, 3L Camry. The mechanic said there were 3 sensors, 2 before the catalytic converter and 1 after.

The OBDII Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) was P0135, Bank 1 Sensor 1 (B1S1). The mechanic replaced the oxygen sensor located in the exhaust manifold in the engine compartment near the Battery - ie. he only had to pop open the bonnet (hood) and spend half an hour replacing it. Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem and the check engine light reappeared for a week - I returned the vehicle 4 times for the mechanic to fix, he wasn't able to.

He finally replaced the oxygen sensor beneath the vehicle and upstream of the catalyst - Bank 2 Sensor 1 (B2S1) and the check engine light has not reappeared.

My question is: Where are the Heated Oxygen Sensors - B1S1 and B2S1 located? I discovered some information on the net that indicates B1S1 is located beneath the vehicle upstream of the catalyst not in the exhaust manifold in the engine compartment near the Battery - the latter of which the mechanic claimed. I am assuming that the location of oxygen sensors are pretty standard for all models and years for Camry.

I would appreciate any information/help as I hate being taken for a ride!

The heated O2 sensors are in the exhaust stream upstream of the cat.The code referred to the one in the rear of the engine accessable from under the car.Ibelieve the worst that happened was the wrong one was replaced first,but it was probably due anyway.

i have a 2000 camry v6

i got the same code

i replaced the one up front (thats easily accessible from under the hood)

and then later that nite the light came back...

so i'm going to replace the other one behind the engine from under neath the car i'll check that out next week when i do my tune up...

my question is that the 2 sensors B4 THE CAT are they the same? or different???

i'm sure the front one needed to get replaced so no big deal :)

i've got 90k miles on my camry...and i can tell i'm losing power and ****ty gas mileage

drove from san francisco to LA yesterday and i only got 21 mpg :(

usually i can get 26+ closer to 30 actually if i don't speed much...(keep it around 75ish..)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a '97 Camry with very low mileage. My rear oxygen sensor just wore out (according to my Toyota dealer) & yikes - how many of them do I have? Just been advised that I will need to replace it (them?) which is a very expensive part. Is it really necessary to replace?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have been reading this thread and am now thoroughly confused.

I took my 2000 Camry V6 in today for the check engine light. Fault code PO135 popped up. Advisor said it was for the O2 sensor on the Left Bank. Service ticket says "O2 sensor heater."

So which one of the 3 sensors needs replacing? One of the two up front in the engine bay, or the 3rd down below? A previous post led me to believe the heated one was down below, but the advisor said "the one on the left bank."

Also the dealer wanted $150 for the sensor, and $157 for the labor. A bit stiff in my book! I have already paid $105 for the diagnostics (which would be credited IF I have them do the work and supply the sensor) I'd like to avoid that.

Help :crybaby:

That is the sensor upstream of the engine (between the converter and the engine) at the front of the engine,and it is a heated sensor.

Thanks Joe.

As this is a transverse mounted engine, is that the sensor at the rear of the engine bay accessed from below, or the one at the front of the engine compartment in plain sight?

• 2 weeks later...

He suggested to replace all three at the same time for the same reason you replace both headlights even if only one goes out: to put the lifespan of the grouped parts in "sync."

According to your mileage, it's due for the oxygen sensors to be replaced. Even though only one is bad now, the other two will likely go bad also in no time.

I am having the same type of problem "CHECK" engine

light on after we bought a used 1999 TOYOTA Camry LE

from a private seller.

My mechanic replaced the Evap Canister (located underneath the car). The part costs $260.00 plus labor.

2 days later the light came back, and he told me we will

have to replace either one of the 2 Oxigen sensors, one

at the exhuast manifold, and one after the Catalyst Converter.

We replaced the front sensor (part cost $204), and still

the light is ON.

As of now, our car is still in the garage and my mechanic is

looking at it. I will post it later on the status.

My question is.. why I am paying $204 for the front sensor? He bought it from the Toyota dealer (we are in Massachussett). The back sensor is about $125.

I read about a previous post on the prices, and it said it

costs around $30 to $70.

Why is the price so different? Could the dealer have

different prices in different states?

Where do you find that lower price ?

thanks

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Auto Zone for a free diagnostic yesterday. I got the same code about my O2 sensor. I forgot whether it was bank 1 or bank 2 but I was told that it was the sensor that was underneath the car.

The price for this part - $179. There was a different sensor that was around $75 but it wasn't pre-wired with the correct connections for my car. I would have had to do this myself.

I have noticed a lack of power but no decrease in gas mileage.

my v6 check engine light was on at 113,000 miles and i brought it to local mechanic, he took a portable ODB box read o2 sensor one in front and one in back bad, cost me $125 oem part each, and $280 total for part and labor, now the check engine light no longer on while driving. the mechanic told me not necessory to replace the 3rd one yet and there is no cost advantage or reduction to replace it while it is still in working order.

• 6 months later...

I've been living a nightmare with that freakin Check Engine light

first off i just want people that live in California know that at least for

the '97 4 cylinder camry u do not have an oxygen sensor it's called the air/fuel ratio sensor, if u buy a regular O2 sensor it will not work!!

I finally got the right sensor and my light went off for like 3 weeks and it came back on!!! Now the car has gone from bad to extremely bad, it is now stalling on me and making like these small explosions and the light now blinks!!

Does anyone know what i need to do now?!?!? It's driving me nuts. :crybaby:

did you reset the ecu after putting the new sensor in , you have to tell the engine of changes and update the ecu , take off the earth on the Battery and wait 5 minutes , put it back on and the ecu resets back to default ,then learns of new set up from then on in . this isnt the answer but worth a try for sure. :thumbsup:

My check engine light came on in April 2004,5s-fe engine runs alrightput a bit of Black tape over light on instrument pANEL SO I CANT SEE IT that solved problem Camry still runs good. :thumbsup: