Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Perfomance 96 Corolla?!?!?

Krolla96

Hey I have had my corolla for a while... I love it! but I want more peromance, but i don't want to do a motor swap. I am willing to pay major dollers to get what i want. I just don't know what to buy and where to buy it. Some one help me. does parts from other cars fit mine? TRD said they have no parts for my car. Is this true. oh and I am a certified welder so a little fabracation is no problum. please guide me!!

--KeViN

which motor is it? ie: 4A-FE, 4E-FE, 3ZZ-FE, 4A-GE etc then we might be able to help you a bit better ;)

which motor is it? ie: 4A-FE, 4E-FE, 3ZZ-FE, 4A-GE etc then we might be able to help you a bit better ;)

oh yeah. It's the stock 4 afe 1.6.. I love my corolla and Every one I know says buy a honda civic. I say no way!! I know my little 4afe has got some hidden power somewhere!! I dare to be different!

i've tried this already mate :( and got very depressed. Check the site in my sig, thats about all you can do to the 4A-FE, if you want bigger power (150 Hp+) then get a 4A-GE much more stable platform for performance engine. Seriously don't begine to think that the 4A-FE has some hidden power, its only party piece is loads of low down torque and swapping it with the bigger 7A-FE is a doddle.

i've tried this already mate :( and got very depressed. Check the site in my sig, thats about all you can do to the 4A-FE, if you want bigger power (150 Hp+) then get a 4A-GE much more stable platform for performance engine. Seriously don't begine to think that the 4A-FE has some hidden power, its only party piece is loads of low down torque and swapping it with the bigger 7A-FE is a doddle.

So how Much Horse Power did you get out of the 4afe you worked on?

haven't had it dyno'd but i'd guess around 120 hp so not much, but it really is very torque'y ;)

haven't had it dyno'd but i'd guess around 120 hp so not much, but it really is very torque'y ;)

so. did you put a turbo on it, or have you heard if they even do any good? and if so, what steps whould I have to take to prepare my car for a turbo? how about a DEI Cryo2 kit, have you heard if they realy do give you good power? plus I was wondering. I was going to replace my oil pan, does it just bolt on?

No i did not (yet), and i wouldn't advised it without extensive internal modification. For instance get hold of some 4A-GZE (supercharged engine) pistons, they're lower compression and semi-forged from factory. You'd need to make up a manifold as currently one doesn't exist. I owuld also reccomend not going any bigger than a T25 or the rarer T28. Either of these would spool fast enough to give you some decent power low down enough. If you do manage to fabricate a manifold i would like one please ;) as i could do with a turbo conversion too, willing to pay for it too. There should be enough space for an intercooler and turbo but you might need to sacrifice the A/C system (compressor and all).

As to the DEI cryO2 kit, i've seen similar kits used on intercoolers so i'd imagine that particular type is tried and tested.

Oil pan? if you mean the Sump then there are a couple of varieties, the 7A-FE engine has two parts (an aluminium top section and steel lower) the 4A-FE has two types, (both one piece all steel) one has an oil return from the cooler (the later type) and one doesn't (the earlier type). i'd reccomend the one with the oil return as you can use this as the drainage point from the turbo to the sump.

hope this helps anything else? keep me posted as to what you do.

No i did not (yet), and i wouldn't advised it without extensive internal modification. For instance get hold of some 4A-GZE (supercharged engine) pistons, they're lower compression and semi-forged from factory. You'd need to make up a manifold as currently one doesn't exist. I owuld also reccomend not going any bigger than a T25 or the rarer T28. Either of these would spool fast enough to give you some decent power low down enough. If you do manage to fabricate a manifold i would like one please ;) as i could do with a turbo conversion too, willing to pay for it too. There should be enough space for an intercooler and turbo but you might need to sacrifice the A/C system (compressor and all).

As to the DEI cryO2 kit, i've seen similar kits used on intercoolers so i'd imagine that particular type is tried and tested.

Oil pan? if you mean the Sump then there are a couple of varieties, the 7A-FE engine has two parts (an aluminium top section and steel lower) the 4A-FE has two types, (both one piece all steel) one has an oil return from the cooler (the later type) and one doesn't (the earlier type). i'd reccomend the one with the oil return as you can use this as the drainage point from the turbo to the sump.

hope this helps anything else? keep me posted as to what you do.

sump huh? haha sorry I call it an oil pan because I'm american. I suppose you are from europe? lol yeah I joined alot of forums even some euopean ones. ok back to My corolla... so If I put these pistons in my car will it effect horse power? or is it just a "pre turbo/ supercharger" measure? and the oil pan or sump, you saying get the sump from the 7afe? what about buying and Oem brand new one? also what is a good placement for a cold air intake, and what is a goos brand to buy?

the pistons should only go in as part of the turbo conversion, your corolla won't run normally with them in without forced induction. as to oil pans buy, if you're planning a turbo conversion get the 7A one, either brand new or second hand. there are more of the 7A ones out there in the US and it has baffles and will prevent oil fro gathering on one side as you go round corners. Also the small steel lower pan is easier to modify. With regards to cold air intakes its cheaper and easier to build your own, best place to put the filter is behind the head light. there are more details of what i did on my site in my sig.

The 4A-GZE pistons will give you lower compression so by themselves will reduce your performance - not a good idea :(

The 4A-GZE pistons will give you lower compression so by themselves will reduce your performance - not a good idea :(

ok good information. i think i will start with exahust.

• 8 months later...

if u really want to know how to mod ur corolla check out the site "youtube.com" and type in "corolla" or 4afe and ull see some crazy stuff some of them have done things that i was told wasnt possible. i personally dont have a lot of money to do heavy mods so as of right now my corolla has 217000 miles on it and the only mods ive done to it other than replacing major components from wear and tear like the clutch starter and gaskets its put a short ram air on it. i bought the pieces from autozone and built it my self. after i put it in i started it up and thought i created a monster the sound was amazing and it really increased performance which was moslty noticeable going uphill where i really needed it. but the next thing id do to mine is upgrade to a stage two clutch then get headers and a catback exhaust just to give it a little more kick since the car is already torquey enough but ya also let me know what u come up with.....

• 1 year later...

hey, i have a 94 model corolla with a 4afe engine thats been turned into a stock car. i was wondering is there any way to get more power out of the engine as i cant go to the 4age? im thinking mabe a piggy back ecu, bigger injectors an some kind of cold air intake.

Hi mate, welcome.

I'd buy a whole new engine management system and get someone to write the maps for you. I know someone who rights his own maps from scratch. You'll have to search around for a good one, and take your time to make the right desicion too. :)

Also, injectors can help yes, and so would things like pistons to raise the compression ratio. You can also get thin head-gaskets to further raise the CR.

A free-flowing exhaust will also help, as will a large air filter maybe SRI.

You could also try to find a set of cam from somewhere, although I don't personally know where to get them.

Here is a place I use for some of the things I get. They're by no means hardcore but good for what you need.

Europerformance.co.uk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links