Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Found This Write Up On Type R Forum About The Compressor

tsporttinny

Just thought this would interest all you compressor heads out there :D

After managing to blag the new T-sport for the day last week. I thought i'd give you all a quick detailed run through of the new version that has been launched to put the frieghts into our beloved CTR...

Er... NO!

Nice motor, don't get me wrong, but for a £5 change from 20 big ones, I don't think there's any worry of me driving like a maniac to my nearest Toyota dealership.

INTERIOR.

I personally didn't think it was THAT bad. But that wasn't the opinion of all of the passengers that parked there ***** in the passenger seat. It was kitted out enough to keep most people happy.. ie Climate, full electrics, multi functional steering wheel, decent stereo and all the regular trimmings. The seats weren't the best. Held you reasonably well, but they just didn't LOOK sporty enough (like the CTR, VXR, ST etc). No Recaro badges screaming at you for instance. Something I like .

But the WORST, the WORST thing about this car (interior wise). Was, that everytime you selected reverse, the !Removed! thing started beeping like a Iceland lorry making a delivery. All it needed was a blokes voice calling out "Stand clear, vehicle reversing". Now what's that all about? And before anyone says it was parking sensors, IT WASN'T. Anyway that's the interior out the way.

PERFORMANCE.

Now with this thing having 215 Horses neighing under the bonnet and only weighing 50kgs more than the CTR. I was expecting it to be a CTR beater in regards to power/weight. So with the aid of my mates CTR to hand. We found our local airfield and give them a side by side run from about 30mph - 140mph and was suprised to see the CTR ended up being about 2-3 car lengths in front. Now me and my mate our of equal driving ability (ie full throttle gear changes) so that wasn't in question. But in all fairness to the Corolla, it was still only 1800 miles old. I think in the hands of someone who will run one in properly and with 20,000+ on the clock. It'll be a very close run thing with a standard CTR. But then again it does have a 18bhp advantage.

The Corolla's biggest problem, is it's gearbox. This thing had the LOOOOOOOOOONGEST gearing of any car i've ever driven. It made a Cooper S look like a WRC Rally car. Eg it did 45+ in first, 70 in 2nd etc etc. It just wouldn't rev as cleanly as the CTR does. But did give a nice wine all the way from 6,000rpm to the 8250 limiter.

HANDLING.

In a nutshell, the Corolla wasn't in the same league as the CTR in regards to cornering. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like it handled like an elephant on rollerblades or anything. Just the turn in wasn't very good and everytime you tried to give it some round a tight-ish bend, it just insisted on spinning up it's inside wheel, like a school boy in a tantrum.

I would put the handling in comparison with the likes of my LCR, but not having the same turn in feel.

Still wasn't a terrible experience on a windy back round. Just not quite as good as the likes of the CTR. But it was alot better round town to drive at slow, lethargic speeds and was quite a nice motor to drive when not wanting to set a new lap record round your local by-pass... Resonably torquey round town as well considering it only had 158 of them...

LOOKS.

Well I will let you guys decide on that one. (Sorry about the crap quality. Work camera phone and was getting dark)

I didn't find myself posing in the nearest shop window in it. But it has got something about parts of it that I thought weren't TO bad. The only thing from the exterior that stuck out to me, was on the twin seperate exhausts.... One had a back box sticking out and the other didn't. Which, when following, looked a bit stupid really. But not the ugliest Hot hatch on the market I don't think...

So on the whole... It won't be my next car on my list. But then again it was definatly worth a blast in I would say....

Give it a try guys and see what you think...

Ciao for now.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ;) :D

I agree with most of it..!!

I love my TS, but in looks and performance its just not up to that of the CTR... But it is cheaper... ;-)

a CTR owner on a CTR forum is hardly gonna write a favourable review though, is he? it was never going to be an impartial review.

Some of It I agree, but most of its crap. The reversing beep for example is there for a reason. The CTS is a great car. Who cares what somebody else thinks, if you like the car thats fine :)

I love my TS, but in looks and performance its just not up to that of the CTR... But it is cheaper... ;-)

yeh you have a ts the thread is about the ts compressor. i personaly think hes talking crap.

for one our cts aint far away from keeping up (considering both are standard) and it has 10bhp less, not mentioning ctr is 2000cc ours is 1800.

so for him to say the compressor was soo many car lengths behind is utter rubbish. to me it sounds like hes described our CTS all be it apart from the little bit when he included the "whine" im guessing he had a pic of the compressor?

...depends what you like...if you want a type r buy a type r if you want a t sport dont buy a tsport buy a compressor lolololol

end of the day depends what you like....

type r more rapid depends on the driver though....if you know how to rocket your car if you know how to take maneuvers....good on u if you dont leave it be.

Some of It I agree, but most of its crap. The reversing beep for example is there for a reason. The CTS is a great car. Who cares what somebody else thinks, if you like the car thats fine :)

Hows the motor going mate? Keep her in VTEC B)

Shes great fun, puts a big smile on my face everytime I drive it. I'm using VTEC quite a bit, not as much as the CTS becuse 1. I have enough power in the lower revs to overtake safely and 2. I dont think it's got brilliant oil in there, roll on pay day to put decent stuff in and a Mugen oil filter :D , then I'll be VTECing all day :lol:

The bit it doesn't say is:

1. Insurance group 18 v 14!

2. Service Cost!

3. Fuel Consumption is way worse on a CTR

thats about it. i agree with most of that review though.

Shes great fun, puts a big smile on my face everytime I drive it. I'm using VTEC quite a bit, not as much as the CTS becuse 1. I have enough power in the lower revs to overtake safely and 2. I dont think it's got brilliant oil in there, roll on pay day to put decent stuff in and a Mugen oil filter :D , then I'll be VTECing all day :lol:

how much diffrence is there to 'lift' than using v-tech what pulls and feels faster , harder etc, cheers

Keep an eye on the oil mate, they can use a bit if VTEC'd...But I suppose you probably would have kept an eye on your CTS oil anyway...

I keep an eye on the oil anyways, so thats ok :)

To be honest lift felt more brutal when it kicked in than VTEC. But thats because the power delivery is smoother on the CTR. But once in VTEC it pulls harder than lift. But you would expect that though due to more torque and power.

a CTR owner on a CTR forum is hardly gonna write a favourable review though, is he? it was never going to be an impartial review.

I'd say it's as impartial a review as you'll get from anyone to be honest. He hasn't slated the car, and any faults or problems he had with it are pretty much exactly the same grievances we have with our CTS/CTS Compressor...

It is THE most annoying beep in the world though!!! :angry: I am sending my CTS into Toyota tomorrow to have the aux belt tensioner bearing done and I am going to ask if this can be removed completely... it's just too loud...

yeh you have a ts the thread is about the ts compressor. i personaly think hes talking crap.

for one our cts aint far away from keeping up (considering both are standard) and it has 10bhp less, not mentioning ctr is 2000cc ours is 1800.

so for him to say the compressor was soo many car lengths behind is utter rubbish. to me it sounds like hes described our CTS all be it apart from the little bit when he included the "whine" im guessing he had a pic of the compressor?

Don't forget borodaz that the Compressors have had long running problems in terms of power due to dealers using 95RON fuel or whatever, and the guy also pointed out that the car wasn't run in @ 1,800 miles so I'd say he's hardly talking crap... ;)

Don't forget borodaz that the Compressors have had long running problems in terms of power due to dealers using 95RON fuel or whatever, and the guy also pointed out that the car wasn't run in @ 1,800 miles so I'd say he's hardly talking crap... ;)

i agree with you then, and also the comparison should never have taken place in that case :)

I keep an eye on the oil anyways, so thats ok :)

To be honest lift felt more brutal when it kicked in than VTEC. But thats because the power delivery is smoother on the CTR. But once in VTEC it pulls harder than lift. But you would expect that though due to more torque and power.

ok cheers m8 was just wonderin cheers

what a load of crap!

the ts can take on and beat the ctr to a ton with little tunning but after that the ctr will be in front .

the ts compressor in standard form will beat ctr without any effort.

this is just another one of these write up from a ctr crackhead who hasn't had there daily fixed .

ps: i hope one day i run in to these super fast standard ctr's i hear so much about.

had a run in with one for a while last night, i stil say they are faster, not by loads but they just edge away slightly

but yours is a cts the crackhead are saying there standard ctr can beat cts compressor.

but yours is a cts the crackhead are saying there standard ctr can beat cts compressor.

yeh i said this earlier

All said and done your arguing about the difference between some mildly warm shopping cars , the difference is next to nothing .

A race amongst these cars can be won or lost depending on whether the ash-tray is full or not .

Enjoy the ride and agree to disagree on who bought the 'fastest' car , or take it to the track .

All said and done your arguing about the difference between some mildly warm shopping cars , the difference is next to nothing .

A race amongst these cars can be won or lost depending on whether the ash-tray is full or not .

Enjoy the ride and agree to disagree on who bought the 'fastest' car , or take it to the track .

no one is arguing we are just pointing out some crackhead have nothing better to do than write bs review's.

get this fact right i dont own a compressor but i know a standard ctr aint is match .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links