Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Owner

johnson

Hi everyone!

I`ve recently bought my first Toyota, it`s a 96 Carina E

1.8, 85,000 miles but with F.S.H.

I`ve fallen madly in love with her already, in fact the

first time I drove her, I knew she was the car for me.

Anyway, yesterday, when I turned off the ignition, the

alarm peeped about 15 times, also when I got out of the

car and remote locked with the key fob, again the alarm

peeped about 15 times.

This now happens everytime I turn off the ignition, lock

or unlock the car.

Can anyone assist and tell me what`s wrong.

Thank you

Viv

Is the boot open? or luggage light on?

It sounds like the alarm isn't arming/disarming properly?

Next time the sirens sounds try putting the key in the ignition and turning it back and forward TWICE to aluminate the dash lights whilst the siren is sounding. This will force the siren to stop and may reset the alarm.

Good luck

Hi johnson, welcome to the club!

I too have a 1.8 Carina E '96 with F.S.H and similar milage... Unfortunately (fortunately, maybe?!) I've never heard of this problem, though I have found that the alarm is rather sensitive... Goes off even when I'm washing it!

BTW Does anyone know how to lock the car without priming the alarm?

I wonder whether your alarm/key have got out of sync somehow - apparently this happens if the buttons are pressed a few too many times outside of the car's range... I'm pretty sure the handbook describes how to sort this. Must be worth giving it a go... Otherwise try phoning Toyota - they can *occasionally* be helpful!

Apart from this you really should have many years of trouble free motoring ahead as the Carina E is a great car and as reliable as they come :thumbsup:

The beeping is most likely because a door or the boot isn't shut properly.

On my Avensis, if you lock the doors with the actual lock in the door handle (ie use the key) the alarm won't arm. Using the remote central locking however, will always arm the alarm.

According to the manual you can remotely lock the door without setting the alarm, but I've never manged it.

you can lock the car without priming the alarm by using the interior central lock switch setting it to lock - when you then get out and as you close the drivers door hold the outer door release held in the raised position as the door closes. The car should be locked without the alarm set.

Repeated lower tone beeping means you have a door, bonnet or boot ajar.

Check if your " Door open" warning light stays on.

you can lock the car without priming the alarm by using the interior central lock switch setting it to lock - when you then get out and as you close the drivers door hold the outer door release held in the raised position as the door closes. The car should be locked without the alarm set.

I've locked my keys in the car too many times to even consider doing this sort of thing.

I guess it's now force of habit to lock the car AFTER I get out, using the key (at least that way I know where the key is!) :P

Hiya.

Have you tried using the On Board Diagnostics???

If you have a look at caldina.net(my site is linked with that site) there is a how to guide on there with a comprehensive list of OBD fault codes (theres a diagram in the Haynes manual also how to do this).

Also, welcome to the world of carinas lol

Rach xx

carina-e.com

Sorry, but the fault codes are for the engine management only. Can you elaborate on exactly when this beeping is happening?

Using the OBD would indicate any wiring fault tho, and its best to rule that out first. We had the same problem with our carina, and that was the first thing that the mechanics at toyota recommended to rule out (it did turn out to be a wiring fault for us so OBD is useful)

Are you sure the beeping is coming from the alarm? Some cars when the Battery is running low in the remote locking fob they will start to beep (ive seen this happen in mondeos and 306)

Rach x

Hi everyone

Good news, problem is solved. :thumbsup:

My husband rang a nice Toyota technician at our local garage.

The following instructions fixed the problem

unscrew and open remote fob, part the two halves completely for at least 4 seconds.

reassemble fob

go to car, press either button for 1 second, release for

1 second then press again for 1 second.

alarm arms and is back in sync with fob

Thanks for all your suggestions

Have a great Christmas

Viv

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have just had the same issue with a '93 Caldina, the Car had a key fob and central locking but no Alarm, I have had a Mongoose installed.

But that was not the issue, all the doors and boot were closed and there was no door light on, but it turned out that the Sun Roof was not quite closed, I never use it, but my brother had borrowed it and had openned it, but when it closed it was not right, it took a bit of playing around to have it closed at just the right point, as to close it to far actually opens it but the other way, silly thing really.

David