Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Window Won't Come Down

Rincewind

I have tried searching for this on here but can only find topics where the window won't go up.

Bascially it is stuck up and therefore can't open the tailgate to take it apart. I can hear a relay click but no action from the motor. Could someone please tell me how i can get inside without opening the tailgate.

Thanks

I have tried searching for this on here but can only find topics where the window won't go up.

Bascially it is stuck up and therefore can't open the tailgate to take it apart. I can hear a relay click but no action from the motor. Could someone please tell me how i can get inside without opening the tailgate.

Thanks

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum

Firstly, (as silly as it sounds) have you made sure that the rear wiper is back in it's propper resting spot?? The window won't work if the controler thinks the wiper is in use.

Secondly, if you clamber over the back seats you can take off the panels so you can access all the workings inside the rear door

If all else fails try swapping the rear window control unit which is located behind the N/S rear light.

At a guess i would say it's the rear wiper stopping it from opening as the control unit is pretty robust

Hope this helps you

Cheers

Paul

P.S. you could try looking through the www.hiluxsurf.co.uk site as there is a mine of info and always someone to help with most problems

Thanks

Firstly, (as silly as it sounds) have you made sure that the rear wiper is back in it's propper resting spot?? The window won't work if the controler thinks the wiper is in use.

Secondly, if you clamber over the back seats you can take off the panels so you can access all the workings inside the rear door

If all else fails try swapping the rear window control unit which is located behind the N/S rear light.

At a guess i would say it's the rear wiper stopping it from opening as the control unit is pretty robust

Hope this helps you

Cheers

Paul

P.S. you could try looking through the www.hiluxsurf.co.uk site as there is a mine of info and always someone to help with most problems

Thanks alot Paul for all your help i'll have a go now. Btw my name is Tom.

I know i'm not supposed to go off topic but just a quick one, my mate has a surf with this really nice replacement grill which came with his. Its hard to explain what it looks like but it makes the surf look american from the front. I can't find it anywhere on the net and was wondering if you know where i can get it or any good shops for custom surf parts like that. Cheers

Thanks

Hope this helps you

Cheers

Paul

I know i'm not supposed to go off topic but just a quick one, my mate has a surf with this really nice replacement grill which came with his. Its hard to explain what it looks like but it makes the surf look american from the front. I can't find it anywhere on the net and was wondering if you know where i can get it or any good shops for custom surf parts like that. Cheers

Ok well i moved the wiper and it came down, so i took the back off and just put a bit of oil on a bit that was rubbing and now it wont go back up, again the relay clicks but no power. Do you think its something faulty with the wiper?

Thanks

Hope this helps you

Cheers

Paul

Ok well i moved the wiper and it came down, so i took the back off and just put a bit of oil on a bit that was rubbing and now it wont go back up, again the relay clicks but no power. Do you think its something faulty with the wiper?

Hi Tom

Sorry about that,I don't know where Richard came from

You could try taking the rear wiper arm off all together and then operate the wiper from the stalk, let it run for a few seconds and turn it off again, hopefully the wiper arm will re-seat itself in the proper place

Then try the window by the key and the switch

Also, give the rear door a pretty good slam as that will stop the window.

With regards to your friend's grille, can you get a picture of it and email it to me on paul.keubik@ntlworld.com as i have 2 surf grilles here(you never know)

Cheers

Paul

• 14 years later...

Hello everyone, I have a 92 surf SSR-G recently the back window won’t go down using the button inside the car and only works when I use the key on the trunk. I can hear the button click but it’s not lowering the window. What could this be?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links