Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'96 Previa- Starter/ Ign Switch?

essex-wolves

Hi

I have a '96 Previa with 60k on the clock that has developed an intermittant starting problem. Every so often you turn the key to start and the starter just clicks (warning lights stay bright), turn the key a few more times and it jumps into life. Also sometimes the engine will turn over for about half a second then just silence, it stops but the key is still in the crank position and all the warning lights shine bright.

Does anyone know if these models suffer from any Starter/ Ignition switch problems. I have replaced the connector on the starter (wire from the ign switch) but the fault is still there and I'm loathed to replace the starter as I'm not 100% sure its the fault.

Anyone had any similar problems or recommend any checks?

Thanks

Hi

I have a '96 Previa with 60k on the clock that has developed an intermittant starting problem. Every so often you turn the key to start and the starter just clicks (warning lights stay bright), turn the key a few more times and it jumps into life. Also sometimes the engine will turn over for about half a second then just silence, it stops but the key is still in the crank position and all the warning lights shine bright.

Does anyone know if these models suffer from any Starter/ Ignition switch problems. I have replaced the connector on the starter (wire from the ign switch) but the fault is still there and I'm loathed to replace the starter as I'm not 100% sure its the fault.

Anyone had any similar problems or recommend any checks?

Thanks

A very common fault on these cars is the copper contacts in the starter motor burn out. The good news is that the parts are cheap and relatively easy to change and can be done with the starter in situ (although personally I prefer to take it out)

Your symptoms sound 100% like this problem.

A quick check to see if the starter is being energised would do the trick, if it is, then its likely to be the starter contacts, if it isnt, its likely to be the ignition switch

Kingo :thumbsup:

A quick check to see if the starter is being energised would do the trick, if it is, then its likely to be the starter contacts, if it isnt, its likely to be the ignition switch

Kingo :thumbsup:

Whilst there is always a chance that as Parts King has suggested that the ignition might be at fault the simple fact that

a. You are hearing clicking - dictates that current is flowing to the solenoid

b. The motor actually turns over for a bit before dropping out again shows that the solenoid is being energised.

The contacts wear through a process of arcing as they are being asked to draw a huge amount of current in order to turn over the motor. The ignition switch on the other hand is drawing relatively very little current due to the fact that all it has to do is excite the field coil of the solenoid which is nothing more than an electro magnet. Even then it does this through a primary relay which in turn draws a fraction of the current of the main solenoid.

With only 60K on the clock I am surprised that either would have worn. Have you had to regularly crank the engine for excessive periods i.e. have you traditionally had trouble starting the car ??? OR do you do a lot of stop starting e.g. are you a taxi driver etc.

Most of the units I have done have been in cars with well over 100K on the clock and certainly older than 96.

Either way if you are good with your hands and understand a bit about cars do the job yourself. Taking the starter motor out is easier if you get a set of ramps from Halfords and drive the car up on them. There is an online workshop manual for these cars that will help guide you through the process.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09008...irInfoPages.htm

ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE Battery FIRST.

If you are not then obviously you will have to take it to a garage but then up to 80% of what you pay for the job will be labour. If money is not an issue for you then all the best :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links