Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now What Do I Do?!

MattMR2Turbo

Got 1/4 tank of petrol left, went to fill it up and I can't twist the fuel cap off :censor: :censor:

It's sometimes a bit tough anyway because there's a lot of pressure released when I undo it but I just can't budge it today!! :angry:

Has anyone else had this problem??

Dude !!! I had this problem the other week.. I was running very low on fuel, but couldn't get the cap off at all !! I even asked some big bloke to have a shot.. he couldn't either.

I drove off and found another petrol station ( about 5 or 10mins away )... tried it and it came off first time easily.

It's obviously something to do with the pressure or something... but I was freaking.. standing for a good 5 mins trying to get the damn thing off.

Anyone else ?? Anyone know why this happens ?

Yea it's !Removed! annoying and quite embarassing!!! I went out of my way to get to a Shell garage to put Optimax in it too :wacko:

Someone said to put some grease round the threads when it comes off!

Hmm, the tank is pressurised, hence the pressure when you remove the cap. It shouldn't get stuck like this though. You haven't crossed threaded it have you - unlikely considering the size of thread.... Otherwise - yep, put a little grease around the thread, that should sort it.

ive had the cap get stuck with the pressure usually when the tank gets low ...best thing is carry some pliers like i do..

Nearly had this a couple of times on a low tank.

Just the negative pressure

I second that, when i've tightened mine properly its a b***h to take off, often embarassing!

So like Bibs i don't fully tighten it nemore, well i do, then i take it back a bit.

Again only happened when i'm running low on fuel.

-Z

A friend of mine at works VW Rabbit did that, the gas tank actually deformed from it. So it could only hold 5 gallons.

There are return lines or vapor lines going from the gas tank. In his case a small bug had made a nest in it so air could no longer pass. So as the gas drained out the compression crushed the gas tank.

Have your fuel lines checked. One is there to keep the air pressure the same, both in the tank and the outside world.

don't tighten it so is clicks as that's too tight. plus sometimes it can help if you let the engine idle for a minute as this seems to make it a lot easier to remove - once when mine jammed i restarted it let it idle for a minute then tried again and it came off easy.

this may be a daft answer (as i aint that good at physics) but, if the tank is pressurised because the fuel pump has been active (which i assume is the right answer), then turning the engine off will leave the trapped (pressurised) air inside.

if you leave the engine running whilst removing the cap would this be easier? as the pressurised air is still (theoretically) being circulated, and maybe not as tight cos the fuel pump isnt under much (or any) load, at idle.

maybe worth a try :thumbsup:

I always turn mine till it clicks.. not had a problem.

Didnt think you werent allowed to make it click.. thought thats why it was there.

Surly there must be some kind of breather vent into the tank?! other wise the pump would have great difficulty sucking fuel out if it had to make a total vacuum :wacko:

Never sufferend it meself, been tight but i do it up tight so wasnt surprised....and usually hisses..... <_<

I always turn mine till it clicks.. not had a problem.

Didnt think you werent allowed to make it click.. thought thats why it was there.

me too.