Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Engine Light - Been Told Its The Oxygen Sensor

carlosalfaro

I have a 2000 camry with about 106k miles on it.

I have a friend who is a mechanic and I took my car to him because the check engine light came on. He ran the diagnostics with the obd2 reader and he said it was a code for the catalytic converter, but he said, let me make sure, sometimes its not.

Sure enough he tested it with a laser/infrared thing and he said it was operating within parameters and temperature (which he said its the most commong problem) and he used a different machine to test it.

he said: "it could be a rolling code, I'll erase it and let me know if it comes back." I drove it for a about 2 weeks and it came back. He tested it again and tested the sensor, got a new catalytic converter and replaced it (didn't charge me) and the problem code was still there.

He said: "I think its the oxygen sensor, I have seen it before and I am almost sure it is. The dealer will charge you between 300 to 400 for it (his son supplies parts to a dealer including a Toyota dealer). But he said if you want you can go get it checked out at the dealer, the code I am getting is for the catalytic converter so I will not change the sensor unless you want me to, but the code is not for it."

I spoke to a couple of other people and they told me the same thing, its the oxygen sensor, just get it replaced, clear the code and it will not come back.

I am inclined to do that unless someone else knows more about it. (its not the gas cap)

Also, if it is the sensor (how do I make sure which one - before or after the catalytic converter- he told me the one after) and would it be hard for me to change it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Carlos

I have a 2000 camry with about 106k miles on it.

Carlos

Carlos,

Take a look at this to see if it applies to your car:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Toyota-Repair-8...amry-Engine.htm

"Expert: Ted Ritter

Date: 2/19/2005

Subject: P0420 Toyota Camry Engine Code

Question

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry (4 cylinder). My "check engine" light came on and I was told by two different dealers this my catalytic converter was bad. I had the converter replaced. The code cleared for one month. Now the code and the light are back. My normal dealer claims it's the catalytic converter again. They also claim that the oxygen sensors "seem to be working ok." What can be causing this problem. I'm tired of buying parts and I'm tired of seeing this light on my dashboard. Help!

Answer

Toyota has issued a service bulletin regarding the P0420 trouble code that could apply to your vehicle, to be sure if this bulletin applies to your car I will need the VIN#, you will find it on the sticker on the door, once I have this information I can tell you what steps to take with the dealer, if this is the case it is covered under the factory warranty.

Yes, they were correct, there is a problem with the catalytic converter performance but the problem is with the onboard computer which may have to be recalibrated, don't let them touch your car until I get back to you.

Follow up: Please reply to me directly at tedrttr@yahoo.com with further information. "

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links