Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Previa - Turbo Failure

Bacon

I have read the posts about Toyota Previa D4D turbo problems l have had previa for six years and get the engine go into limp mode with the code P1251 only in the winter, I have replaced the scv valves and also put turbo cleaner in the air intake,have not tried10 k boost,has any of the previous members found a cure with or without changing the turbo,or was the treatment of 10k boost the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi. I'm new to the club but I'm trying to remove the turbo from a previa d4d 52 plate but am stuck trying to get to the bolt at the Base top of the turbo flange. Is there a guide or step by step .Steve

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

hi i'm also new to the club  i've just brought a 2005 previa t spirit d4d as a non runner apparently the turbo went on it so the previous owners had a new turbo fitted and looking at it it does look new  on their way back the engine cut out and has not started since any body have any ideas what is stopping it from starting not had a diagnostic done yet  

Give me a call brum dave and I will talk you threw a few bits and bobs and get you going "dont despait" or mess with the turbo bud, Garry 07939413809.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2016 at 10:30 AM, luludog said:

Give me a call brum dave and I will talk you threw a few bits and bobs and get you going "dont despait" or mess with the turbo bud, Garry 07939413809.

have had a diagnostic no faults found .

does the t spirit d4d have an electrical pump in the tank ? regards dave

Never known any previa to have an electrical pump in the tank mate, I was away today

and missed your call bud, have you had a look at the S.C.V yet?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, luludog said:

Never known any previa to have an electrical pump in the tank mate, I was away today

and missed your call bud, have you had a look at the S.C.V yet?

have no idea what a S.C.V is :-) just found out what it is but no idea where it is i'm not a very good mechanic with these engines give me a old crossflow engine no problems lol

• 1 month later...

I only joined today to find an answer to a simple question and found this thread among lots of other interesting problems ideas and experiences  

My Y reg 2000 d4d 2.0 has had this problem I was going to give it the 10k treatment myself . A few months ago I decided to start running it on Shell V power diesel to see what would happen and to my amazement the problem went away . My privia has 244.000 miles on it now but appears to run better on V power

I would be surprised if this was the problem in all these cases but it would be crazy if all these people were running the wrong diesel :smile:

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2016 at 7:29 AM, brum1edave said:

have no idea what a S.C.V is :-) just found out what it is but no idea where it is i'm not a very good mechanic with these engines give me a old crossflow engine no problems lol

Suction
Control
Valve

• 1 month later...

I know these are old posts,did anyone solve the problem of Previa going into limp mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 11/06/2008 at 2:49 PM, propnut said:

They fitted a new wastegate to your turbo but did they check the waste gate actuator ??. Really if you are losing power then it could be anything including

1. The turbo is not working properly

2. Your fuel flow is restricted (have a pressure test done)

3. Your cambelt has jumped a tooth and now your valve timing is out

4. Tight or sticking valves

5. You have a vacuum leak somewhere between the air intake and the inlet manifold

6. Your EGR valve is malfunctioning

7. Your PCV valve is blocked

8. Your Lamda sensors are malfunctioning and the ECU has gone into limp home mode

9. Your MAF/MAP sensor has malfunctioned and the car is in limp home mode.

But based on what the diagnosis is it looks like 1 & 2 are the most likely. Have you tried the most simple option and changed your fuel filter ????? Diesel can suffer from microbiological contamination which can block up the filter. If it blocks you have reduced fuel flow and then of course reduced performance.

I have the older generation Previa and there is a very good reason why I have stuck to that one and not moved on to the new generation and I think you are beginning to find out why.

That said though the older generation Diesel models all of which are imports should be avoided like the plague.

Best of luck.

I disagree with your last statement. I had a Toyota Townace import that did 220,000 miles with no issues with thd turbo. I replaced it with a 2006 UK Previa and after 45,000 I got fault code P1251 Step Motor fault. Toyota told me the turbo needs replacing at a cost of £1568!!!! This fault is very intermittant. The car can drive 6k miles OK then it dangerously goes into limp mode. In 18 months it has done this about 6 times. I am now scared of driving it, especially on motorways when I mostly stay in the first lane just in case. Why haven't Toyota done a recall what potentially could result in a death situation? I read that people pay out a lot of money for a new turbo and the fault eventually reoccurs, so I don't know what to do.