Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Previa - Turbo Failure

Bacon

Well, today I finally booked in our Previa to have a new turbo fitted next week. We had this diagnosed by the main dealer almost a year ago when we were getting the dreaded engine management light on and a sudden drop in engine performance. Stopping the car and restarting the engine would clear it. We have managed to get another year out of it by careful use of the throttle and to be honest, it appears to run perfectly during the summer months and them show it's ugly head again during winter months. The fault codes always say 'stuck turbo' . When it fails, it wouldn't pull the skin off a cold plate of porridge :o

The car was 4 years old when first diagnosed with 27k miles on it. A year later we are at 34K miles. Toyota offered us a 1/3 off the price of the Turbo when it first occered and will still honour this one year later. Dealer is helping with the labour cost but I must say I am not a happy bunny as they say. :angry: I get the impression that failing turbo's are getting quite common as the dealer has done a few including RAV4's? The good thing is he won't be learning on my car.

I'm not sure that I really have a point here other than being able to share this with other Previa owners or perhaps invite some comment from a Toyota Tech who appear to frequent this forum.

Regards

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
Well, today I finally booked in our Previa to have a new turbo fitted next week. We had this diagnosed by the main dealer almost a year ago when we were getting the dreaded engine management light on and a sudden drop in engine performance. Stopping the car and restarting the engine would clear it. We have managed to get another year out of it by careful use of the throttle and to be honest, it appears to run perfectly during the summer months and them show it's ugly head again during winter months. The fault codes always say 'stuck turbo' . When it fails, it wouldn't pull the skin off a cold plate of porridge :o

The car was 4 years old when first diagnosed with 27k miles on it. A year later we are at 34K miles. Toyota offered us a 1/3 off the price of the Turbo when it first occered and will still honour this one year later. Dealer is helping with the labour cost but I must say I am not a happy bunny as they say. :angry: I get the impression that failing turbo's are getting quite common as the dealer has done a few including RAV4's? The good thing is he won't be learning on my car.

I'm not sure that I really have a point here other than being able to share this with other Previa owners or perhaps invite some comment from a Toyota Tech who appear to frequent this forum.

Regards

Alex

Just joined this forum as I've found a few stories here that unfortunately sound all too familiar.

I too have had the same experience as above...last summer the car lost power on holiday in Cornwall and the engine light came on. The RAC guy said the code pointed at a fuel injection problem, suggested it was possibly caused by bad fuel/muck in the tank and maybe we should try some fuel cleaner. We took it to the Toyota dealer in Newquay who confirmed the story. They quoted in excess of £2000 to replace the fuel injection unit, so up until recently we have been regularly adding additive to the fuel. The problem has been intermittent and we lived with it until we had to use the car for a trip to France so finally bit the bullet and took it to our local dealer (Basingstoke) in January. They promptly informed us that the problem was not the fuel injection unit, but that we needed a new turbo unit! I gave the history of the problem, asked 'are you sure?' more than once before parting with £2000 to fix.

4 weeks later and guess what? The problem has recurred again. I am angry that I have spent £2000 on something that did not fix the problem, and I'm highly suspicious that the problem was actually something that would cost a lot less to fix (sensors?)

Oh, and this is not a knackered old car - when the problem first happened the car was just out of warranty and on 43K.

And I thought Toyota's were supposed to be reliable :( This is the first time I have bought a brand new car, I've spent double on it than I've spent on any other car, and it's causing me much more grief than any other car I've had. It's going back to the garage tomorrow - it will be very interesting to see what they say.

Regards

Alex

Just joined this forum as I've found a few stories here that unfortunately sound all too familiar.

I too have had the same experience as above...last summer the car lost power on holiday in Cornwall and the engine light came on. The RAC guy said the code pointed at a fuel injection problem, suggested it was possibly caused by bad fuel/muck in the tank and maybe we should try some fuel cleaner. We took it to the Toyota dealer in Newquay who confirmed the story. They quoted in excess of £2000 to replace the fuel injection unit, so up until recently we have been regularly adding additive to the fuel. The problem has been intermittent and we lived with it until we had to use the car for a trip to France so finally bit the bullet and took it to our local dealer (Basingstoke) in January. They promptly informed us that the problem was not the fuel injection unit, but that we needed a new turbo unit! I gave the history of the problem, asked 'are you sure?' more than once before parting with £2000 to fix.

4 weeks later and guess what? The problem has recurred again. I am angry that I have spent £2000 on something that did not fix the problem, and I'm highly suspicious that the problem was actually something that would cost a lot less to fix (sensors?)

Oh, and this is not a knackered old car - when the problem first happened the car was just out of warranty and on 43K.

And I thought Toyota's were supposed to be reliable :( This is the first time I have bought a brand new car, I've spent double on it than I've spent on any other car, and it's causing me much more grief than any other car I've had. It's going back to the garage tomorrow - it will be very interesting to see what they say.

Update - I've got a fault code tonight....

P0627 Fuel Pump Control Circ A / Open

So pretty much what I was told back in the Summer, and same symptoms.

Back to the dealer tomorrow!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I now have a new turbo fitted to my Previa and it's good to have the old girl back to her old self again. :D

The dealer collected my car about 1:30 in the afternoon and left me with a little 1.0 T2 Yaris which was actually great fun to drive. A call from the dealer the following afternoon told me my car was ready and they would be delivering it back to me in the half hour. Car came back very clean inside and out and the old turbo was sitting in the footwell as requested.

I have examined this old unit but I must say that you could put what I know about turbo's on a postage stamp :rolleyes: Anyway, from what I can see, the bearings appear to have slight lift in them which is probably normal and the rotors spin freely. The wastegate however appears to be siezed as I can get no movement from this at all. I may get this unit refurbished when I am faced with this again in the future.

Anyone know what movement I should be seeing if any while manually operating the wastegate valve rod while turbo is sitting on my bench?

Pics available.

Regards

Alex

Regards

Alex

Hi all,

my name is Ronnie I have a Previa D4D 2003 it has done just over 57,000 miles. I too like "Bacon" am experiancing problems which have been diagnosed by the main Toyota dealer as Turbo problems. I cant remember the actual fault code they said came up but it was diagnosed as a faulty Turbo.

Prior to taking it to the dealers I too had the problems of not running particularly well (but driveable) and then on two or three occasions the engine management light would come on. It would then go into limp mode (still running but only able to go very slowly). On stoping and turning the ignition off and then re-starting the engine management light would go out and it would run as normal (still not particularly well but drivable) This had happened of a period of about 4 weeks before I took it to the dealers for a diagnostic check.

The dealers told me it would need a new Turbo fitting and would cost around £1600-£1700 plus Vat. I nearly fell throught the floor! I did a bit of ringing around and found a company local to me who called themselves Turbo Clinic UK Ltd. I spoke to them and told them my problem. They told me it was a comon problem and the would be able to repair the Turbo if I could get it removed. I good friend of mine who is a mechanic who also owed me a favour took the turbo off for me. Turbo Clinic UK Ltd went to his place of work collected the Turbo and took it away to repair it. I was quoted £175.00 + vat for the repair, to which I agreed. They repaired it and delivered it back to my mechanic, who re-fited it.

It has lasted about 4-5 weeks and is now back to how it was before. Not running particularly well (but drivable) and the managment light came on twice on one journey this week. Again going into limp mode and having to re-start it.

The best part of £2000 is an extreamly expensive repair, and more than I can realy afford, does anyone know of any other solution? I have just spent a small fortune having a new timming belt and service as it is coming up to the 60,000 miles recomended belt change.

Thanks for any help

Ronnie

After lurking around these forums and elsewhere I am convinced that a lot of turbos are being replaced unnecessarily. It appears that once they pick up fault code p1521 it's assumed that the turbo is the problem, whether it is or not. The problem is proving it of course.

I have been watching this thread with interest as I am considering replacing my series 1 Previa with a diesel series 2. I am interested in where you are getting these codes from as I have access to the actual Toyota Technical Information Sheets for this car and these codes bear no correlation to what is shown. It sounds like these codes are from after market OBD scanners.

Has anyone tried to actually read the actual codes off their ECU using the MIL light.

From reading this and the thread regarding the Petrol series 2 it sounds like the new shape is more troublesome than the old shape.

I have been watching this thread with interest as I am considering replacing my series 1 Previa with a diesel series 2. I am interested in where you are getting these codes from as I have access to the actual Toyota Technical Information Sheets for this car and these codes bear no correlation to what is shown. It sounds like these codes are from after market OBD scanners.

Has anyone tried to actually read the actual codes off their ECU using the MIL light.

From reading this and the thread regarding the Petrol series 2 it sounds like the new shape is more troublesome than the old shape.

I haven't seen what the codes were as the dealer told me the codes they pulled off indicated it was a stuck turbo. Giving me the codes wouldn't have meant a thing to me. I can't understand why it was ok during the summer months and went bad again during winter. Anyway I have had the turbo replaced and the car pulls great now but if I blip the throttle at rest, I now get black smoke which I wasn't getting before. Dealer can't understand why but wants the car back to check emissions etc. It passed it's MOT a couple of weeks before the turbo change.

I would be interested on how you pull the codes from the ECU using the MIL. If I got anything, I hopefully could ask you what they mean? ;) :D

As far as being troublesome, alloys replaced under warranty and going bad again. Leaking oil pan twice, Turbo replaced at 35K and I have been asked to keep an eye on the water pump as there is pink coolant seeping from it. I have had many new cars in my life (company cars and mobility cars) This Previa is used less but I am very disapointed in the failures. I won't make this mistake again. :(

I hear your frustration and it certainly sounds like the series 1 Previa's are head and shoulders above the series 2 in terms of reliability with mileages of well over 200K having been achieved on a great many units. (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITN THE IMPORTED ESTIMA's, whilst these look the same have they have a diesel engine with a major issue with cracked cylinder heads)

The codes I am referring to are the PO627 and P1521 quoted by adrian_s neither of which appear in the workshop manual ???.

Send me a PM with your personal email address and I will send you copies of the relevant pages. I can't post them here in case I get the forum in trouble for posting copyright material. This will be for the 1CD-FTV engine which is the code for the diesel engine fitted to your car.

Turbo's are not that complex, you basically have two fans/impellers, one on either side of a shaft. One is driven by exhaust gases and therefore subject to high heat and the other is the compressor vane which forces air into the combustion chamber. Before the air reaches the combustion chamber however it is passed through an intercooler, as cool air is denser it means you get a greater concentration of oxygen in the air delivered from the output of the intercooler. On the exhaust side of the turbo you have a wastegate which is effectively a valve operated by the wastegate actuator and the purpose of this is to control the amount of boost by diverting exhaust gases away from the impeller when boost reaches a certain level e.g. 9psi. Between the vanes you have a lubrication system that ensures the high spinning bearings are kept lubed. Now if the seal/bearing on the exhaust side wear, which is most common due to the heat this oil finds its way into the exhaust system and hey presto you have smoke. However oil smoke is typically blue, black smoke could indicate an injector problem or an air intake blockage somewhere.

It is important to note that due to the extreme high rpm's found in turbos that proper operation is vital .

1. When you start the car let it warm up for a bit to allow oil to lubricate the spinning parts properley before you give it boot

2. Before you switch off the car let it idle for a bit first again to give the bearings and shaft a good dose of oil before you switch off so at the next start it does not start dry.

If you can get the turbo off you can inspect the bearing and housings for wear. Pull and push the shaft and check for excessive movement both longitudinally and vertically. Also check for signs of oil on either side of the vanes which will indicate a leaking seal. Side of housing wear will also indicate excessive shaft movement.

Note again I haven't worked on these specific cars but all turbos work on the same principals.

If you can get the turbo off you can inspect the bearing and housings for wear. Pull and push the shaft and check for excessive movement both longitudinally and vertically. Also check for signs of oil on either side of the vanes which will indicate a leaking seal. Side of housing wear will also indicate excessive shaft movement.

Note again I haven't worked on these specific cars but all turbos work on the same principals.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply and advice.

I have my old turbo sitting on my bench. There is slight lift on the bearings but no end to end movement that I can feel. The rotors turn easily by hand. No sign of oil leaks can be seen either. What I do see, and it doesn't feel right to me is that I can't get any movement on the wastegate . I am assuming the pushrod should move the bellcrank which in turn moves the internal component in the turbo exhaust side i.e. the wastegate. Wouldn't it be nice to know that this is the fault :D I'm thinking that I will put this turbo away safely until next time and then get it refurbished. The labour hours involved in removing /replacing one of these is scary. :o

Thanks again for your help

Hi

I own a 2002 diesel model and also have issues with the turbo and was hoping that someone can help.

The main issue is that the engine hesitates occasionally before giving additional power. This happens when the turbo kicks in at about 1800rpm+ and mainly when the engine is not up to full working temperature or the turbo is first used. On the motorway it also occasionally does not give full power. Do I also need a new turbo?

I can see no additional smoke from the exhaust and once it has been running for a little while the problem is less noticeable or the turbo runs without fault.

It seems to me that it is not getting enough fuel or air? My garage has put the car on its diagnostic machine and cannot find a fault. They have suggested a new turbo is needed because the air flow meter (may have been sensor) has already been changed.

The engine management light also comes on (very occasionally) and puts the car in limp home mode but turning the car on and off has cured this.

Is it worth getting the turbo reconditioned? Or possibly an alternative supplier of a new turbo?

I also need a new CV joint but cannot find a supplier other than the main dealer. Does anyone know of an alternative supplier as the dealer wants approx £350 for the part.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Shabs

You know warning lights are there for a reason. Just hiding them by resetting the temp ECU code is not resolving the problem. You need to have the ECU interrogated to ascertain what the code is. Perhaps start from there.

Turbo lag is a common feature of cars however it could be that your waste gate actuator is stuck open and so it is taking longer for the turbine to build sufficient pressure to provide adequate boost. Why don't you look at the simple things first and just make sure that none of the pipes leading to and from your turbo are cracked/perished.

• 3 weeks later...

hello all, previa d4d 2000

have symptons very similar to few postings.

power going , idled to stop, restarted. ok

engine warning light did come on.

took to local toyota dealer. quoted 2k for new turbo.

ran ok for 1 year.

has been playing up again recently.

let me down on way to gatwick.

took to small reliable guy in village.

put on sun diagnostic machine.

codes as folllows

p1250 turbocharger system malfunction

p1405 turbo press sensor malfunction

is one fault creating another fault code?

is the sun machine reliable?

am daunted at spending out on new turbo if problem is something else.

would appreciate any help

regards

jon

hello all, previa d4d 2000

have symptons very similar to few postings.

power going , idled to stop, restarted. ok

engine warning light did come on.

took to local toyota dealer. quoted 2k for new turbo.

ran ok for 1 year.

has been playing up again recently.

let me down on way to gatwick.

took to small reliable guy in village.

put on sun diagnostic machine.

codes as folllows

p1250 turbocharger system malfunction

p1405 turbo press sensor malfunction

is one fault creating another fault code?

is the sun machine reliable?

am daunted at spending out on new turbo if problem is something else.

would appreciate any help

regards

jon

Jon,

your vehicle symptoms sound much the same as the one's I had on my 2003 Previa D4D with 35K miles. I didn't ask about codes at the time as I was more interested in what the real problem was . I managed to run the car just fine through summer but it raised it's ugly head again with the colder weather. I felt the car was now dangerous to drive and so I finally had the turbo replaced. They fitted the new turbo in a day and I asked for the old turbo back. In my particular case, the waste gate was siezed and having spoken to the mechanic again today, this was the fault they found. I'm fairly comfortable that my old turbo was faulty.

I now have black smoke when I blip the throttle at idle but that's a whole different story.

I can't say what your particular problem is but can only share my particular experience with you considering similar symptoms.

I have a few pics of the offending turbo.

• 1 month later...
Hi

I own a 2002 diesel model and also have issues with the turbo and was hoping that someone can help.

The main issue is that the engine hesitates occasionally before giving additional power. This happens when the turbo kicks in at about 1800rpm+ and mainly when the engine is not up to full working temperature or the turbo is first used. On the motorway it also occasionally does not give full power. Do I also need a new turbo?

I can see no additional smoke from the exhaust and once it has been running for a little while the problem is less noticeable or the turbo runs without fault.

It seems to me that it is not getting enough fuel or air? My garage has put the car on its diagnostic machine and cannot find a fault. They have suggested a new turbo is needed because the air flow meter (may have been sensor) has already been changed.

The engine management light also comes on (very occasionally) and puts the car in limp home mode but turning the car on and off has cured this.

Is it worth getting the turbo reconditioned? Or possibly an alternative supplier of a new turbo?

I also need a new CV joint but cannot find a supplier other than the main dealer. Does anyone know of an alternative supplier as the dealer wants approx £350 for the part.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Shabs

PREVIA C V JOINT TRY 02089001301

just read through and i have exactly the same problem with my previa D4D , mine was fine until one day on the motorway using the cruise control , i had to break suddenly when a lorry cut in front of me without indicating , after that i have had no end of trouble with the turbo going into limp mode , i do the usual , stop turn engine off , re start and it's fine , it's been drivable ,then a few weeks ago , i had what i can only describe is the same thing you get if you;re about to run out of fuel although i had nearly a full tank , i put it down to dirty fuel as the garage where i'd filled up had run out , it was just before the strike at the scottish oil refinery so panic buying had dried them up .

when the tank got to under a quarter full , i topped it up and it was fine for weeks until this weekend when once again , loss of power then it would kick in , it was struggling to get to 40 mph with my foot to the floor then the power would kick in .

I'm really regretting buying this car as it looks as if it's going to be nothing but fork out on turbo's all the time .

went to a local garage to see about getting it checked , it's gonna cost me 38 quid plus vat per hour before the thing is even near to being repaired so you may as well say 150 quid just to find what the fault is on top of whatever parts need replacing plus the labour charge and VAT ,i know one thing , i won;t be buying another toyota , my old estima had the dreaded head crack lucky enough there , the dealer i bought it from paid for the repair as i'd only had the car 2 days .

the dealer i got this one from wasn't very helpful at all , i;d had the car 2 months when this fault appeared .

What i feel like doing is just selling the car as it is , cut my loses which in the long term is gonna be cheaper than having to keep spending out on it .

UPDATE

taking it in to get it looked at tomorrow , it was losing power then the warning light came on and i had perfect running from it , hopefully they'll get to the bottom of the problem ,i'll post the outcome

well , they put the car on their scanning machine , came up with turbo and fuel pump plus another history code which they don;t have on their computer so they are contacting toyota to find out what it is , i think maybe toyota will be as much help as a chocolate fireguard as obviously they want repairs done at their highly priced dealerships

so as of now , i have the car back , fault not fixed yet but i can drive it about carefully ,reckon i'll not get much change out of 2 and a half grand by the time this is sorted , i'd have got a top of the range zafira the same age ( an 03 plate ) cheaper and i bet parts would be a fraction of the cost of flippin toyota parts .

it's a shame cos it;s a lovely car

Turbo's are not that complicated. They are just a compressor whose motor is driven by exhaust gases. 90% of the time the biggest problem is the wastegate or its associated solenoid sticking open. The wastegate controls the pressure or "boost", when it get s to high the waste gate opens and bypasses gases away from the impeller and into the main exhaust. Obviously if it is stuck open all the gases get bypassed and so you get no boost. If you are good with your hands you might want to take it off and have a look. The wastegate is quite obvious and it should be esy to see if it is operating smoothly.

Take a read of my other comments in this thread.

`Guys I need some help here! Previa 2.0 D4d GLS 8 seater. Covered 80K now, fully maintained by the dealers.

Loss of power problem where when accelerating just feels like all the power is not there! On motorway struggles up hills>

I have has exhaust checked including catalyst, air mass meter replaced, egr valve removed and cleaned, turbo removed and new wastegate fitted as turbo was in good shape, injection cleaners, air filter as well as fuel filter and now i am banging my head on a brick wall to gain some headway.

With a Snap on Modus there are no codes on mainframe and no engine light has ever come on? However on the EOBD system we found P0108 mANIFOLD ABSOLUTE pRESSURE HIGH INPUT-P0104 MASS OR VOLUME AIR CIRCUIT INTERMITTENT-P0102MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT RANGE PERFORMANCE- P0110- INTAke air temp sensor circuit 1. Srange thing is unable to clear the codes. :ffs:

If there is any of you that can help with this strange vehicle please advise. By the way local dealer has no idea whats wrong??

Gone mad

looks as if my car is gonna cost a small fortune to get sorted , the place i took it to , their diagnostic machine came up with turbo and fuel pump and a history code , they've contacted toyota to find out exactly what the fault is and toyota won;t commit and tell them if it's definatley a fault with either so i now have to go to my local toyota dealer and have it put on their diagnostic machine .

wish i'd know that the previa's were prone to expensive faults occuring , i'd have never bought one .

so tomorrow , it's off to the local rip off merchants , ( main dealer ) to see what their diagnostic machine comes up with .

i'm thinking of just getting rid of the car , cut my losses on it and get something else

They fitted a new wastegate to your turbo but did they check the waste gate actuator ??. Really if you are losing power then it could be anything including

1. The turbo is not working properly

2. Your fuel flow is restricted (have a pressure test done)

3. Your cambelt has jumped a tooth and now your valve timing is out

4. Tight or sticking valves

5. You have a vacuum leak somewhere between the air intake and the inlet manifold

6. Your EGR valve is malfunctioning

7. Your PCV valve is blocked

8. Your Lamda sensors are malfunctioning and the ECU has gone into limp home mode

9. Your MAF/MAP sensor has malfunctioned and the car is in limp home mode.

But based on what the diagnosis is it looks like 1 & 2 are the most likely. Have you tried the most simple option and changed your fuel filter ????? Diesel can suffer from microbiological contamination which can block up the filter. If it blocks you have reduced fuel flow and then of course reduced performance.

I have the older generation Previa and there is a very good reason why I have stuck to that one and not moved on to the new generation and I think you are beginning to find out why.

That said though the older generation Diesel models all of which are imports should be avoided like the plague.

Best of luck.

back again,

taken car (previa d4d 2001) to chap who was recommended as some sort of guru.

he suggested he send the turbo away to get reconditioned. cost £1300

he has since come back and told me that these turbo guys think that damage has been done at front end. IE something from the engine has become loose and gone into the turbo.

he has suggested that when the repaired turbo goes back on, same could happen again if there is shrapnel flying around in engine.

does this make sense?

should this guru have spotted front end damage?

any ideas

cheers