Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa - Turbo Failure

Bacon

My car is now with Toyota who reckon it's a turbo problem. I'd asked them to put in the 10K Boost, however they said it would make no difference as my problem is the waste gate being stuck open, not bearings gone, which is what this would help to alleviate.

They didn't mention SCV's though, so I will talk to them in the morning and see if they reckon that would make any difference, or be worth doing at all, and let you know what they say.

At the moment, they are quoting £1200 to replace it using a refurbished turbo.

Further info now available.

Been in touch with www.turbocentreuk.co.uk and they had quoted £900 for a brand new turbo, but then went on to say that, as it's a Waste Gate problem, the cheapest option would be to send them the turbo, they can then fix the Waste Gate and send it back. This costs £200. They guy was very helpful indeed and said it's not only the D-4d engine that has the problem, they get the same with Fords, VWs etc.

Toyota dealer has been very helpful with this, given me a reduced rate on their labour charges and liaised with the Turbo people to arrange collection etc, so hats off them too at the moment.

Will update again when more info is at hand, but hope this is helping someone at present.

Further info now available.

Been in touch with www.turbocentreuk.co.uk and they had quoted £900 for a brand new turbo, but then went on to say that, as it's a Waste Gate problem, the cheapest option would be to send them the turbo, they can then fix the Waste Gate and send it back. This costs £200. They guy was very helpful indeed and said it's not only the D-4d engine that has the problem, they get the same with Fords, VWs etc.

Toyota dealer has been very helpful with this, given me a reduced rate on their labour charges and liaised with the Turbo people to arrange collection etc, so hats off them too at the moment.

Will update again when more info is at hand, but hope this is helping someone at present.

Thanks , Following your progress on the Rav4 forum and here. Good luck my friend ;)

Just had a call from Turbo Centre to say that, as they suspected, the "Waste Gate" was completely caked in sooty deposits from exhaust fumes, "a classic case" was their description.

They have stripped and rebuilt this area of the turbo charger and also test the unit and all is good again. They are shipping this today to be with Toyota on Monday so hopefully, fingers crossed, I should have a fully working Previa back on Monday night.

Cost was £200 + VAT.

Will post again next week when I have the car back to update on performance etc.

***UPDATE TIME***

I have my car back. WOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Picked it up last night from the dealer and had a good chat with the Service Manager who was handling the work for me. He said he was very impressed with Turbo Centre UK and will definitely be keeping their details for further use. Said the guys knew exactly what they were talking about and he was happy to deal with them.

Had to have a play with the car on the way back from the dealer and I now have proper turbo boost. Drives very smoothly and doesn't stutter at all.

So har, I'm more than satisfied with the repair and, although it is VERY early days, it would appear to have cured the problem, however time will tell and I'll update again in a couple of weeks or so.

Total costs were £249 from Turbo Centre UK (repair, shipping and VAT) and £574 from Toyota (removing and replacing turbo and supplying and fitting seals and gaskets), £823 all together. A lot less than the original £1650 that I was first quoted!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there I have Toyota Previa d4d 2004 I need help from anybody how knows about this code which is p0093 +p0200 I have already change both scv new fuel rail and when is cold 10-5c engine temp cut off 3-times but still starting no problem and when engine warm then all ok drive will but now showing the same code Please help me some say replac, the deisal pump and replac the injecters the egr valve has been cleaned the injecotr 095000-0570 Toyota 23670-27030

Avensis Avensis Verso Previa RAV4 all the some or different 23670-0r020-23670-27010-23670-0g010 Denso Applications say that all four model the some but different number so i confuse about this.

http://www.hartridge.com/catalogue/CR/Injector_Den.htm please help me reply to me

thanks to all for help me looking

********UPDATE********

Car has been to Norfolk and back for the week and behaved very well indeed. Turbo boost for overtaking was there and gave no worries at all. Hasn't shown any signs of stuttering at all. It's actually running a lot smoother too, and I think fuel consumption is better too. Time will tell though.

• 1 month later...

For any who have a confirmed P0627 - Open Circuit A Fuel Pump - the remedy is deffo to get your hands on the Fuel Pump Kit - Toyota Part 04221-27011, £219.77 Delivered (pair of replacement Suction Control Valves) - apparently these modded replacement SCVs are suitable for ALL the D4-D blocks (even though the official Toyota part systems apparently say 'non-applicable' for the Previas... :censor: )

Symptoms were: Poor starting, no acceleration over around 2500 rpm, and severe surging when cold - improved slightly once warm - 2005 D4-D at 43k miles...

Post SCV-fix, now running like a train! :toast::toast::toast:

For anyone wanting an effective ODB Scanner, I can recommend the ScanGauge2 unit, which I've mounted on top on the steering column - it can output 4 parameters in realtime from a larger 'palette', and the backlight can even be set to a nice pale green to match the Previa's existing backlighting (aircon panel). EML codes can be read and cleared with it too! :yahoo:** Will only work on 2004 and later diesels that are fully ODB2 compliant **

125 notes from here and others: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260507697120

Check your DTC codes here: http://www.eobd2.eu/DTCL.asp

Aitch

• 4 weeks later...

`Guys I need some help here! Previa 2.0 D4d GLS 8 seater. Covered 80K now, fully maintained by the dealers.

Loss of power problem where when accelerating just feels like all the power is not there! On motorway struggles up hills>

I have has exhaust checked including catalyst, air mass meter replaced, egr valve removed and cleaned, turbo removed and new wastegate fitted as turbo was in good shape, injection cleaners, air filter as well as fuel filter and now i am banging my head on a brick wall to gain some headway.

With a Snap on Modus there are no codes on mainframe and no engine light has ever come on? However on the EOBD system we found P0108 mANIFOLD ABSOLUTE pRESSURE HIGH INPUT-P0104 MASS OR VOLUME AIR CIRCUIT INTERMITTENT-P0102MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT RANGE PERFORMANCE- P0110- INTAke air temp sensor circuit 1. Srange thing is unable to clear the codes. :ffs:

If there is any of you that can help with this strange vehicle please advise. By the way local dealer has no idea whats wrong??

Gone mad

hi all,

I've driven toyotas now for years but i did a little research before buying my latest previa 2.0 d4d. I was very concerned when i read all the problems the turbo appeared to be giving. Still i felt i couldn't drive anything less than toyota so i carried on & bought the previa from a really nice guy from Sheffield.

I brought it back to Ireland and gave it a full service. Two weeks or so later i had the mil come on and engine in limp mode. Turned off igniton and re-started everything appeared fine. This fault reoccured more frequently over the next couple of weeks.I was terrified the dreaded turbo was acting up.

I brought the car to a friend mechanic who put it on the computer it read p0125 indicating a turbo problem. mechanic felt it wasn't turbo but something relating to it i.e sensors. quized a few more friends and i was asked if i used original toyota parts (fuel filter,air filter) I hadn't.

Apparantly they are a must on the d4d. I fitted original parts and haven't looked back. I'd love to hear that this simple fix could work for others.BEST OF LUCK.

• 1 month later...

After a long spell away I finally got to look at my problem. Despite Toyota charging my Sister over £100 for a dignosis and declaring the turbo needed replacement at £2500 it turned out to br the fuel filter needed changing which cost £20. Wjth the sudden onset of the symptoms and virtually no worsening of the situation in the six months I couldn't investigate the issue, I would have to suspect a tank of dirty fuel partially blocked the filter. Unfortunately I changed the SCV's first at just over £200 for parts with no improvement. Anyay the Previa now pulls like a train again.

tcm, the best way to apply the 10k boost would be to open the airbox, remove filter, then remove airbox lid from the pipe that goes directly to the turbo inlet. This will negate any need to remove the air sensor from the lid or risk of gummming it up. Spray directly into the turbo inlet pipe taking great care to ensure nothing else gets sucked in while the engine is running.

hello im new here and im wondering if u could provide me with ur contact number on this issue and how u fixed it as i think im having same problems be great if u could thanks Email me

• 4 months later...

I have found that toyota dealers cant differenciate the engine fault codes and cannot be bothered much...When they get a turbo

fault code they want to change the turbo.I have found more often than not its the exhaust wastegate that sticks open almost every year on my 1995 Lucida.

Check this out before lots of dosh to your friendly money grabing dealer.

Hope this is useful info.

• 8 months later...

Hi I have just joined site as my brother suggested I look for others with the same problem. Our Previa (2005) D-4D model went into Limp home mode about two years ago just like everyone else's. Engine warning light came on but when switched off and re started it cleared.

We were away south at the time, so took it to the local dealer who said it was the turbo and required a new one. However, they were too busy and told us it wasn't urgent.

Two years on, the limp home mode has happened around 4-5 times in that time. It happened recently, so I decided i might be on borrowed time and took it to my local guy. He passed it on to another who deals with such things. They diagnosed it as the same problem, but offered to clean it out rather than replace. They have done that and are happy that the unit isn't damaged. However, when they ran it again, it came up with another fault code (P0105) I believe. It seems to now be under boosting as opposed to over. They have been stumped and are about to give up on it. I phoned them just now though, and they seem to think they may have solved it. I'll need to come back to you with the definite outcome, but I wondered if this story is familiar to anyone else, and whether I should feel safe about going on a long journey with it.

Like the rest of you, I am concerned as to why it has done it and also why if there is a problem, it doesn't happen all the time. Since it's first issue, we have driven many miles with it just occuring occasionally. I'm worried about travelling and it goes altogether, but the toyota dealership wants £1,500.0 + for a new one and perhaps they won't sort it either.

Can anyone advise?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi well my Previa 2.0 D4D had the same things the light coming on and going into limp mode , turning off and restarting solved it , I got the knack of not even having to pull up , found if i let it coast then restart i could carry on , it ran like this for 3 yrs , Monday this week i noticed lack of power then later in the day , i went out luckily i was very close to home when this happened , the engine was revving on it's own , blue smoke then it would go back to idle and no smoke , managed to crawl home , but now it's the dreaded trying to find a turbo and someone to fit it as all the quotes i've had won;t give much change out of 1500 quid , I'm considering getting what I can for it as it is and not bothering with another Toyota as it seems that when you say toyota , you can pay twice sometimes 3 times as much for parts ,cheapest i could find a turbo on eBay was about 400 quid considering the same for a ford galaxy was about 200 quid I'd happily [lump for loss of power and bypass the turbo altogether if it were possible as it seems even when you have the turbo done ,reading some stories they have a tendancy to go again in no time at all .

• 1 month later...

hi got a previa 2003 drives good on straight roads only problem is going uphill 25 to 30 and going more slow had diagnostics done by two different mechanics no codes and no lights on dash one mech says i need a new turbo what shall i do any help welcome can some one tell me what else can be wrong with it thanks bye

• 3 months later...

Update to my reply in Feb 2010

Previa has been running fine, returning just over 40mpg during the summer months. Plenty of power and acceleration too, until the last month when the engine hasn't felt as smooth as it had done.

Last night, towards the end of a 100 mile trip, the engine stuttered, management light came on and into limp mode. RAC man arrived and I wouldn't believe me that the code would be P1251. He look very bemused when it did show this, however it also showed some additional info, which was "Stepper Motor for Turbo Charger control Circuit - Intermittent".

A quick google search showed someone on this forum having had the same problem and changing the EGR valve (This contains the Stepper Motor apparently).

Will be calling the main dealer when they open to see how much they would charge to replace this.

One question though, would anyone know if this would have been replaced as part of a turbo recondition or is it something completely separate?

Will post when I have more info after phone calls.

Further Update

Main Dealer had the car in today and have said the entire turbo unit needs replacing as that's what they have interpreted the fault codes to mean. They quoted upwards of £2000. As the car is one month away from being 8 years old, it's being traded in for something different.

Thanks for all the help and information given in relation to this problem, but I'm not going to be forking any more of my hard earned putting it right.

• 8 months later...

hi everbody its been long time sincelast post ok got a previa d4d 2003 got a new turbo had it fitted but when i speed upto 45 to 50 miles an hour it still goes to limp mode code p1250 turbo malfunction put new vacume regulating valve but still the same any advice thanks

• 1 year later...

You know what these M/D dont half make me laugh, I mentioned the high rate of turbo failure on the previa and after stripping ours down (after being told it needs a new turbo I found the inner support hose insert which fits inside the main intake hose callopsed and blocking the turbo, now when I ordered the part I saw the "master tech" who said it was the turbo and said I wonder how many times thats been diagnosed and paid for when in fact the pipe has perished and collapsed causing the blockage after going bright red and the service reception guy going all shades of colour I went away and did a little digging, it does not take much evaluating to see the amounts of new hoses ordered (inserts) to see there is some issue here.

And just to throw something else in to the mix gents,

I received 8 yes 8 s.c.valves yesterday from alibabba china, the cost per set of 2 ie red and green with shipping £14 per set, all function within the o.e spec and the mnf qulaty is no different to the originals, so the e,bay items listed at £189 look no different and the packaging is the same and I am told by my contact in china they in fact mnf these for Denso. I will get round to putting these on e bay at the weekend for cost + %20 for my time and effort. there is not a part you cannot get and I am considering investing in a number of most commonly used parts for toyota, I will try and compile a list using the various forums and I will of course ensure that the parts are at least o.e quality and hopefully I will be able to find the companies who mnf them for the o.e supplier. anyone interested in a dip into this pool feel free to msg me and any thoughts-views-ideas are more than welcome.

• Like 2

Fitted these s.c.valves today, the old girl runs as sweet as a peach, boosting through the correct rev range all parameters correct no smoke nothing wrong with turbine, and I am going to remap e.c.u and spend some time sorting this parts bin situation out for those who get told there garrot blower is k.put which never happend on any cossies I had, and them main dealers who are techs! (at polishing there rockets) and flannel to keep the k.p.t targets they are set, sad,sad,sad. great britain! Poor Britain, what a shambles I am a simple person with very little funds and being ripped of and told b.s to further others monatory gains really hacks me off. im done guys many thanks for the support and help 35 years within the automotive industry and I have never come across such pseudo elitists in all my life. M.D! not for me toyota

Garry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all, been doing some digging and research on a few of these matters discussed here and you would not belive it if I told you what we found out, 2 m.d a different vehicle to ours and 2 faulty s.c valves. both occasions we paid for Toyota techs diagnostic skills £79. and £57.50. the outcome ? the verdict ! both said turbo failure dont know how or why they arrived at that, but I have to admit that both said it would take further investigation before they would be able to be sure(and more cost) but the initial diagnosis TURBO FAILURE arrrrrgh. come on guys is that it, these d4d engines are pretty simple things and i have no fear at any scenario they present being a issue, its easy to slag someones abilities off but come on, am I a moaning old bugger on my soap box here or just see it for what it is either gross incompetance (like my spelling) or blatently ripping of Toyota owners? well I am unsure and would hope that people treat others in the same way as most of us would but there are a few tooooo many coincidences here and patterns emerging. I am apparently not allowed to publish the official reply from both main dealers who squarely put the situation at my door for engineering a complex issue. bahhh. caught you with ya pants down.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi I've just signed up to tell you folks how this forum helped me find a £7 solution to a £1650 problem while on holiday in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago!

I have a 2002 Previa with a 2 litre D4D engine with 140,000 miles on the clock. At the end of a long drive through France and up into the Swiss mountains, the engine management light came on. There were no noticeable symptoms until we were climbing a steep hill and I felt a momentary loss of power. However, we reached the holiday flat, and for several days the warning light stayed off, until we went back on the motorway and it came on again; I did continue to feel occasional losses of power.

I took the vehicle to a Toyota dealer, for a diagnostic test. It showed a P076 code, indicating a pressure failure in the fuel pump. I had hoped it might be the catalytic convertor (the only other time I had the engine management light come on) or something benign like that, but this made more sense given the symptoms of occasional power loss.

My worry was that this could lead to a full breakdown on the way back to UK, and I really didn't want to end up stranded on a French motorway, with wife and 5 kids in the car.

The Swiss garage said that if I wanted to be on the safe side I had better change the fuel pump - which would cost £1650 for a reconditioned unit. I phoned a couple of Toyota dealers in England, who both said it's very rare to replace the pump on the D4D engine.

So I Googled some more, and found this thread, and a couple of others, where I learned about the SCV valve problem, and began to put two and two together: the loss of power only occurred on higher revs, or when the engine was under a lot of strain, and I had filled up with French supermarket fuel (notoriously dirty apparently). So I concluded that the most likely cause of the problem was that the SCVs were sticking.

Consequently I followed the advice of other users and spent £7 on a diesel injector treatment product, which I poured into the half full tank of fuel. I drove a couple of days like that, including on the Swiss motorway, and the management light stayed off! Then I filled up for the return journey with Total Excellium diesel, which I read is one of the best for cleaning the whole fuel system.

Needless to say, I drove non-stop across France, with no more warning lights or power loss! Wonderful! It's a great feeling to have saved £1638 pounds, and to have fixed the problem myself through a bit of online research!

I'll copy this onto another thread which helped me too... Thanks ToyotaOwnersClub.com!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links