Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.3 - Possible Oil Leak

bomber06

I parked the RAV off the drive this morning and where I usually park it there is an oily stain on the drive. I checked the oil levels in the car and they were fine. :o

While looking for the manual. I come across the service report from April 2007 (its first service performed by the cars previous owner). The Visual Safety Report highlights a possible oil leak with the comments "Oil leak Suspect Timing Chain over" and given a tick in the amber relevant box. There is no indication whether the problem was rectified. Although, on an additional service sheet the check for leaks is ticked rather than a crossed,which would indicate that no attention was needed.

Having only owned the car since November I am a little worried about the oil leak. Can any of you Tech Guys put my mind at ease and tell me if a leak from the Timing Chain Cover a common problem, whats involved to fix it and will it be covered under warranty. Or could there be any other reason for the leak, the car has only done 13K miles.

I am booking in the car for its 2 yearly service next month and would liked to armed with info to pass onto Mr T.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris :help:

Well I hate to tell you this but there might be a sump leak issue. Somebody I know took their RAV for a service and they wanted to book it in for a sump leak. They say it is a 14 hour job but I've looked through the engine build instructions and can't see why - maybe there is more "digging" than it would seem.

In the event there was no leak but something made them suspect it.

I am not aware of any other issues. You should take it in and let them sort it under warranty.

Please keep us informed for future reference.

Regards

I didn't want to say anything, until AM had posted, 'cause I suspected he would :D.

Now, I wonder who that could have been - that had the so called sump leak? :rolleyes:

What I think it was, was a bit of shoddy amateur mechanics on my part. :nono:. I change the oil every 5k and don't think I ran the engine long enough to check for leaks after the last filter change. There appears to have been a slight weep from the filter housing drain plug, which was evident on the plastic "tray" below the engine. Typical - I've done loads of oil changes and never had that. It's fine now - no leaks evident. The tray below the engine was taken off (not at the dealer!) to have a look around the sump, but it looked OK.

As AM says though, maybe worth taking it for the dealer to have a look. I didn't want them stripping mine apart, unless I too was sure it was a sump leak.

Just wondering if there is an issue, then as the 2AD-FHV (T180) and 2AD-FTV (T140) engines are used across the Toyota range, then it might show up in other bits of the forum. Although, I think they are made in more than one plant and it's not impossible for it to be an issue with just one assembly plant - if it's an issue at all that is.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Well I hate to tell you this but there might be a sump leak issue. Somebody I know took their RAV for a service and they wanted to book it in for a sump leak. They say it is a 14 hour job but I've looked through the engine build instructions and can't see why - maybe there is more "digging" than it would seem.

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but my car has sprung an oil leak! :(

There is nothing visible (i.e oil on the drive), but during my 20k service a "small oil leak from the sump" was found and my car has been booked in for 14 hours from the 7th May!

When I enquired whether the leak was from the oil sump or the gearbox oil, the technician advised me that the leak was definitely from the sump but he knew all about the problems with the 6 speed gearbox on D-4D engines...

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but my car has sprung an oil leak! :(

There is nothing visible (i.e oil on the drive), but during my 20k service a "small oil leak from the sump" was found and my car has been booked in for 14 hours from the 7th May!

When I enquired whether the leak was from the oil sump or the gearbox oil, the technician advised me that the leak was definitely from the sump but he knew all about the problems with the 6 speed gearbox on D-4D engines...

I don't know if you have any ramps but I looked at one with a reported oil leak and there was nothing there - certainly nothing I would take the sump off for. Might be worth popping that cover off (10 minutes) and having a quick butchers.

I don't know if you have any ramps but I looked at one with a reported oil leak and there was nothing there - certainly nothing I would take the sump off for. Might be worth popping that cover off (10 minutes) and having a quick butchers.

Thanks for the advise, but our drive is on a slope and I don't fancy getting under the car on the main road!

There's been no obvious oil leak from the car, so it makes me wonder just how bad it could be... :unsure:

After sitting on the drive overnight the car had leaked oil onto the drive, so it's now back at the dealer!

I'm left with an Auris to drive :( (nice car, but not the same as my Rav!)

After sitting on the drive overnight the car had leaked oil onto the drive, so it's now back at the dealer!

I'm left with an Auris to drive :( (nice car, but not the same as my Rav!)

AURIS!!! I must have a word with them and see if they can get you into the obigatory YARIS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 10 years later...

Hi guys - sorry to start this thread up again but I was given the wonderful news yesterday by Toyota main dealer that my Rav4 2.2 2007 car has an oil leak which is leaking over the alternator and has been for a little while.  They say the leak is in such a position that they'd have to remove my engine also, itll take 12-15 hrs and cost 2 grand just to get to the area to see whats wrong - they say the car isn't worth the cost.   Now my question is if you can help, I can't see oil on the floor at home nor at work, does that mean there might be a tray thats catching the oil or that there might not be a leak?!?  Is there anything I can do to help my car as I cant afford a new one and can't believe that this one might only have a month or a few months left in it potentially.  It runs so well!!!  Have no issues with it otherwise, runs beautifully...….    Any help would be great! (I've read the comments above)  Cheers guys. 

So you can't see the leak anywhere on the engine, but they said it's there?

Even if it's being caught by the underside tray, after that time, there should be some evidence.

Personally, i'd check the oil level, top up when necessary, and drive it. If you don't really notice the oil loss, it might have more than few months left in it.

Isn't a oil leak ( or any leak in fact)a MOT failure now ?

Hi Bobby, how are you mate?

In answer to your question, quote from the RAC:

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

Mike.

Oil "leaks" are often the result of spillage when topping up engine oil. The oil can creep a significant distance from the spillage point. In the first instance - thoroughly clean the area with engine cleaner so that you can then observe the leakage point. Leaks on casings etc can often be reduced by nipping up retaining bolts. A bead of silicon sealant externally along the joint of a flanged area will often seal a leak - at least for a while.

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Ello. Thought to update, 4.5 years later lol my RAV4 is still very much alive😃 lol covid lockdown brought issues with sooting up and the car struggled, but had the EGR valve etc changed out and she ran beautifully again. The oil leak... Last year the alternator ended up smoking due to the oil on it, but luckily my neighbour fixes alternators, which he fixed for £25! Car still worked! Took to a mechanic friend who put that leak stop stuff into it, and changed an injector that seemed to be on its way out. She ran beautifully again. But on the last service last month which another friend did (I really wish I had just carried on with main dealership service) she's been running rough 😭 hard to start in the cold mornings we've had, white smoke. He said the leak stop the other chap in might have caused issues as he had to change the oil. There's potential Euro Car Parts didn't supply the correct oil or compatible parts (?) But he can't get it to run quite right. Says as it does have that small oil leak, I need to just be rid of it now, get a new car. Feels like I'm giving up on an old friend 😔 

Three things I do know: Rav4s are awesome... The new Hybrids are v lovely to drive... And my RAV4 drove in snow as if there was no snow!!

Thank you for the earlier input guys. 

• Like 1