Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Resassurance. Please?

alanbradley

Hi folks,

I'm in need of a little reassurance here.

I've traded in my 1.0s for a new T3 D4-D which should arrive at the end of January (10 weeks for black, would you believe?) but now I'm beginning to panic.

Have I done the right thing? Was the diesel the right choice (I do 22,000 a year)?

Any (positive!) comments appreciated...

Cheers,

A

I've heard they are seriously good, also not that slow at all in comparison to the YTS. :thumbsup:

I should get a diesel really but my first car was one & I hated the engine, guess it soured my tatse for them.

Pretty sure the new generation engines are spot on though, especially the D4D which i've also read is among the best. :)

Thanks, I needed that!

You know the way the doubt seeps in once you've committed lots of money to something!

I appreciate the views of folk who don't just go, "A Yaris, isn't that a bit of a girl's car?"... :ffs:

People who say that don't understand the way of the Toyota. :D :rolleyes:

Nothing to worry about there, good choice. :thumbsup: Don't know if you ever catch Honest Johns Telegraph Motoring colum but he's always singing the praises of the D4D & he seems hard to please so it must be good!

You won’t regret it one bit, the new T3 is excellent, loads of extras including a 4 speaker radio and CD player Remote central double locking Electric front windows ABS with Electronic brake force distribution.

The headlamps have been restyled into a teardrop shape and the inner surface has been chromed to improve light dispersion to give better illumination at night.

The 1.4 common-rail D-4D diesel is Toyota's most fuel-efficient engine, returning 64.2mpg!

The rear clusters on the Yaris have been tweaked over the outgoing model and are now all red, to give a cleaner look.

To reduce reflected glare, the dashboard now has a matt finish, and is of a darker grey than the previous model.

I think also the T3 has front AND side airbags.

Worth every penny, lets us know how you get on.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the spec. increase, but I really only went for the T3 so that I got the passenger side vanity mirror :D .

I've also specced the Toyota Minidisc player (no, please don't tell me I should go for an aftermarket ICE system - I'm not really music orientated but the roads I drive don't always get radio reception!) and a nice set of 15" alloys.

I'm isappointed that I lose the mpg meter though :angry: . Always a good way to show off "The Way of The Yaris"!

The yaris d4d is the engine to go for with that sort of miles!!!!!!!

it preforms just shy of the 1.3...but cracking mpg......

add that the d4d is so quiet now and serviceing is just the same s a petrol...

add this that BMW have got the d4d in the Mini....ha...they cant even make an engine as good...

its a world recorld holder as well...with 129 mpg........not bad ha....

and above all....

ITS A TOYOTA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :thumbsup:

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Diesels are the future...once seen as dirty. They are now becoming ultra efficient! I was grinning ear to ear during the last petorl shortage, 700 miles to a tank....I drove straight though it...not a Toyota...but a Renault.

wish I still had it in some ways...miss the diesel...nothing goes wrong....there is nothing to go wrong mechanical...lets face it..most engine problems are due to electrics...Diesels just crank up..and go and go.

Performance is good...no pocket rocket...but loads of Torque which makes up for it.

slightly heavier front end due to the lump...which actually is better than the TS..which is a little light over the front axel really. It's got a nice turbo as well, which is really tuned for economy rather than outright power.

Sounds like a bus first thing in a morning, but is fine after that.

I have the TS now...but my next car will be a diesel again.... I miss em.

Vipes.

add this that BMW have got the d4d in the Mini....ha...they cant even make an engine as good...

Sorry to break the news to you but the D4D engine is not a Toyota unit.

The engine in the Yaris D4D (and the Mini Diesel) is actually a VAG unit, and can be found in other cars such as the VW Polo and Lupo.

alanbradley - I have the same car you're buying, a T3 D4D, and I'm more than happy with it. I needed something which was small (usually only me in the car), economical, and also suited to motorway driving, and the Yaris wins in all 3 categories. I drive 70 miles to work and back every day, and the Yaris takes me there in comfort and silence.

The diesel unit is unbelieveably quiet, and most my mates didnt even know it was a diesel until I told them, and even then they wouldnt believe it. Its quiet at tickover, and probably the quietest of all the Yaris' at speed. Even my mate who owns a T-Sport says my D4D is quiter at speed than her car.

You wont know yourself with the extra low-end torque. Driving a diesel is sooo effortless. You will find that if you've not driven diesels before that it will take a while to change your driving style, but its so much more relaxed. I used to drive petrol cars and always revved the balls of them to get them anywhere (damn 16v engines!). The D4D has all the power you need up to 3kRPM, and theres no need to rev over that. You'll find your driving style becomes much more relaxed and laid back, but you're still making steady progress. You also have the bonus of extra torque available for overtaking. None of this "drop it down a cog or two" to overtake a tractor..just put your foot down in whatever gear you're in and you will have power available to you.

If theres anything else you wanna know about the car then gimme a shout. I'm sure you wont regret the upgrade though :)

Andy

The engine in the Yaris D4D (and the Mini Diesel) is actually a VAG unit, and can be found in other cars such as the VW Polo and Lupo.

If the Yaris engine is actually a VW unit then why did BMW not go straight to VW to source it?

If the Yaris engine is actually a VW unit then why did BMW not go straight to VW to source it?

The D4D is based on a VAG design, and has exactly the same specs/outputs as the VAG engines used in the Lupo and Polo, but the engine is manufactured by Toyota.

Bit of a silly question as to why BMW wouldn't go straight to VAG for an engine for their new car. They're direct competitors and it wouldn't be good business sense to get an engine for your new car from a direct competitor. Toyota aren't seen by BMW as a threat to their sales/market, so don't have a problem using the D4D instead, even though its based on a VAG engine.

Andy

Thanks Diesel_Power (Andy) and Viper_7.

I drive I drive about 50 miles to work and back along mostly single carriageway, but otherwise it sound like you chose yours for the same reason that I chose mine and I'm really glad to hear that it fits the bill - especially where overtaking is concened. You have to be able to pass those pesky, dawdling Nissan Micras sometime!

I have driven other diesels before -mostly slushmatics like my old man's BM- and I'm looking forward to not having to rev the nuts off the car every morning.

Feel free to call me Alan, I was having an uninventive day when I chose my login!

Thanks again,

A

The D4D yaris should have enough torque to equal the YTS (could be wrong, but I doubt it's far off)

makes for pleasant driving when you're pulling in 5th like you can't in a similarly enginged petrol :thumbsup:

And as mentioned already... diesels are seriously good these days... I was converted only a mere couple of months ago from thinking that diesels were solely for dirty wellington wearing farmers, oh no, those days are long gone!

And in the scope for tuning a diesel... well check this;

my father aquired an audi a4 sport 1.9PD 130bhp TDI a month or so ago, as a gift I bought him a 'tuning' box which only cost 100 quid and took the power up to 160bhp.

It's all very good but there's much more scope still with tuning them, those tuning box's only adjust the fuel going into the engine... if you get a remap done which also adjusts the boost there is no/very little smoke from the exhaust and u can achieve quite astonishing results!

in the christmas break he's getting the audi tuned by a company down south and the results will be;

190bhp

295 torque :help: :o

And for scope past this... you can even have a hybrid turbo upgrade done... which will see you to 230bhp and 350torque :drool:

serious stuff from the VAG diesel engins I think you'll agree :yes:

(The hybrid turbo upgrade in a 1.9 130 diesel golf was faster around castle combe than TT's, chipped S3's and even kept up with a chipped RS4 :o :bye::eek: )

I would certainly not mind that 190/295 upgrade in a seat ibiza... that would fly :thumbsup:

theres a chip available for the d4d now, brings hp up to 89 i think, i cant remember the tourqe figure, it was about 15% i think. its quick anyway but it wouldnt be far off a t-sport with those figures, it was around £500 i think i saw it in banzai. sayin about it being identical to the vag unit but built by toyota, i know who i'd rather have put it together.

Which VAG engine was it based on then? It's not the 1.4 TDi for certain as thats only 3 cylinders whereas the Yaris is 4.

Now, the T3 .... um not sure, it depends if you had a Japanese one before, I have never got on very well with the French built ones, they dont have the same aura for some reason, and the upper glove box doesnt quite close properley on the French ones.

The diesel is very economical and quite quick, and with the mileage that you do, you might just about break even on the cost difference, which is the mistake a lot of people make, thinking huge mpg increase but they only do 6k a year, so they never get the money back that they paid to get the diesel over the petrol.

£700 difference between 1.3 and 1.4D

1.3 combined 50.4mpg means 6.9p per mile

1.4D combined 64.2mpg 5.6p per mile

That means that it's roughly 60,000 miles unitl you break even on the mileage that you do over the 1.3 petrol based on official figures, although you are more likely to get the 64.2 out of the diesel than the 50.4 from the petrol, but either way, it will take at least 40,000 miles to break even.

sayin about it being identical to the vag unit but built by toyota, i know who i'd rather have put it together.

yea me too, considering it's based on VAG i'd choose VAG.

unless you're keeping a car more than 5 years who cares?

i meant id rather have toyota build it! i find it hard to believe that toyota would go to another manufacturer anyway. toyotas are soooo much better than any german manufacturer, better than any manufacturer infact. german build qaulity is an undeserved title.

Hmmmm, Yaris D4D... Bit of a girls car isn't it? :D

Seriously though, my local Mr T gave me one as a courtesy car for a few days when I took my MR2 in for a new 'box, (25000 miles and a knackered diff, now theres Jap build quality for you...) and I have to say it was quite a tolerable substitute. I wouldn't buy one myself, there are far more enticing buys in the small hatch sector at the moment, but it was decently quick enough once wound up, and frighteningly economical if you dont boot it, the sales rep reckoned they got over 100mpg out of one on a test run from Lands End to John 'O Groats. On its performance while I had it I'd have to say I quite believe it...

Overall I'd have to say I didnt like the handling much, but my little Pug 106 probabley spoils me in the dept, The Brakes however were quite phenomenal for such a small car, far better than my Peugeot. I liked the seating arrangement a lot, very versatile, but the dash was awful. A horrible acreage of crap plastic and a !Removed! awful digital display. Must try harder Mr T. It wouldnt be my first choice of car to be doing big mileages in, but only because I get bored easily and like to go scratching down back lanes a lot, but I can think of far worse places to be... So its not such a bad trade up...

• 3 weeks later...

This is simply not true.

D4D engine in Yaris was developed by Toyota, and some parts by Denso and Bosch. D4D in Yaris is a common rail technology turbo diesel engine, while TDI engines from VW are not. In fact not even one engine from VW group (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, ...) is a common rail technology one.

Bosch is the owner of common rail technology, and they bought the technology from Fiat. First common rail diesel was developed by Fiat (famous JTD), but as Fiat's managers were clueless, they sold the patents to Bosch.

The only similarity between Toyota Yaris D4D and VW TDI is the engine oil and the fuel.

By the way, due to common rail technology, Toyota Yaris D4D engine has better fuel economy than similiar TDI engines in Polo and Lupo.

Best regards,

Ogo