Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Calibration

Titto

Hi all,

I've had to get a replacement speedo for my import mr2 ('91).

It had a kmh replacement put in (dont ask why - i was a fool) - I then bought a speedo overlay (which doesnt let the dial lights through) - as the toyota goys said they couldnt remove the origional facia on the speedo without snapping the needle stopper (left hand side of 0) they just put the onew mph overlay over the origional kph.

So - 2 questions:

1) Can the origional be taken off or can it be done easily without snapping the needle stop thing.?

2) Does anyone know somewhere (near Derby / Notts) to get the speedo properly calibrated - I have had 17" wheels put on and it throws out the speedo like a b**tard.

Please help a stupid fool in need.

Cheers

Adam

Dont know about removing the dials, but you could get some EL ones like im planning on doing ;)

example: www.speedhut.com

The MPH one on mine is dim as hell too.

Oh, stupidity comes with the name ;)

Adam :)

Adam,

1. You shoudn't have any problems with taking the needle off, as long as you do it carefully. Before you do this though, carefully move the needle back behind the stop - i.e where the needle rests when the car is stationary. Make a mark somewhere to indicate where it settles (make the mark on one of the parts you are not removing of course i.e. not the speed marking dial). Pull off the needle, change the dial, replace the needle, carefully aligning it with you mark. Move the needle back in front of the stop.

2. You shouldn't have to have the speedo recalibrated if you have fitted the correct 17" alloys. Replacement alloys should have the same rolling radious as the originals. For 17"'s this would mean narrower tyres. The overall wheel size should be the same as the 15's i.e wheel + tyre diammetre. Wheels + tyres that are not of the same rolling radious as those they replace can badly affect the handling.

Dame, not the speedo needle mate, its the small needle which the speedo needle rests on when the cars stationary. Apparently, this is connected to the original cover OR if the chaps at toyota remove this cover, the small needle will snap off.....they wouldnt do the job for me because of this.

About the wheels....i've probably <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed the handling already - i have no idea what rolling radius they are, but it dont matter as long as they look sweet!!! - But i do know that it needs calibration, just wondered if anyone knows anywhere thats good for this??

Cheers

Adam

it's not connected to the cover or anything mate.. I have a dash section here in the house and I took it to bits easily.

01.jpg

It also has some nice El dials in it. Interested in buying it ? It doesn't come with the boost gauge.

nothing's wrong with it mate...

I bought it from rogue systems. All I used was the boost gauge from it. It comes with the controller for the dial lights etc.

Make me an offer.

i've probably <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed the handling already - i have no idea what rolling radius they are, but it dont matter as long as they look sweet!!!

Oh dear...... Jimlad can teel you all about the consequencies of having the wrong size of wheel fitted.....