Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who Questions Jimlad?

Jimlad

Lol... :D

Anyhoo... I've had a few peeps question the estimated 280bhp figure I give in my sig.. so read on.

This is an example...

If you look at fensport site they sell performance packages for Turbos.. different stages, differing BHP increases.

Stage 2 .. Consists of Stage 1 + Mongoose Exhaust System to improve midrange torque and reduce Turbo lag. Further gains can be had by removing the Cat. This has a = 45BHP increase.

That would then take it to 275bhp. I also have the Aussie Performance Downpipe as well. Along with the Chip I have installed.Taking all into consideration with running at 15PSI, 280BHP is very possible.

It annoys the pap out of me when people like Jappy says.. oh yeah.. if you have that... then I have 400BHP with just my airfilter.

Someone back me up here !

Oh yeah.. I'm getting an uprated actuator which will give another few extra BHP.

See when I get my bigger turbo/garrett turbo.. will people still question me ?

-----

That was a bit from another post I made... but I'm usually nice and calm.. but I've had a pap day at work. So... for those who think I'm not running 280bhp.. then what is it ?? Obviously this is if all is running fine.

hi jim

sorry to doubt 280 i think 255 ish would be more like it maybe 260 as rev 1 and 2's are notoriously hard to get over 260bhp

rev 1 and 2's are notoriously hard to get over 260bhp

why ? The Jap place along the road think I could easily be hitting it.

couldn't tell you without a bit of research, have a look on mr2dc, had my 2 for a few years and read whats posted, read many posts from people asking why they don't have the power they should when dyno'd and it always seems rev2 have trouble getting more than 260, rev is another matter your mods and a custom mapped chip (not generic chip) would give 300bhp from what i read.

I agree I couldn't hit 300bhp with what I've got just now.. would need to get more from the stock turbo if poss.

Can I ask mate.. do you have a Turbo ?? Alot of the gain comes from the extra boot pressure which I have upped.. hence in theory I should be reaching what I state. I'll get it dyno'd some time at the start of next year as the jap place will have one by then.

I don't see what rev1/rev2's would have any issues getting decent BHP... just up that boost and get some mods in there.. simple. Bibbs explained how much extra BHP is gained per PSI gain in boost pressure a while back.

Like I said anyway... it won't last for long as I'll be getting a bigger turbo or a garret turbo next year anyway.. then we'll be talking silly BHP figures.

But I still say that 280 is very possible with my mods.. people may get less than expected due to the condition of the car etc.. the reason I only state it as an estimate.

Bibbs.... ?!?

Another point... read fensports info on engine tuning section.

If what they state is false.. then surely something is wrong. You would need some sort of FCD or Boost controller or something with what they're selling.... but they state +45BHP.. or even +50 with an uprated actuator. More if it is decatted.

oh yeah... this isn't an argument.. just a discussion.. ( before any heavy handed mods come along and close the thread.. lol )

just like to say that I was reading a mag the other day and in it

was topsecrets fastest toyota supra twin turbo, and what it said was

that the 3liter engine turbo was very hard to get big power gains from,

so they put a mr2 turbo lump in it. they said the mr2 turbo engine was the best

to get big power gains, the mr2 lump was pushing 750bhp and over 200mph.

so I would like to think that 260bhp should be very easy.

Seen this on Fensport site:

Stage 1 : Fuel Cut Defenser, Ramair Air Filter, Alloy Bleed Valve, colder grade Spark Plugs - Boost increases up to 15psi = +35bhp

Stage 2 :Consists of Stage 1 + Mongoose Exhaust System to improve midrange torque and reduce Turbo lag. Further gains can be had by removing the Cat = +45bhp

My current setup:

Stage1 = Induction kit, denso Iridium sparkplugs, dont need fuel cut defencer as FC on rev3+ is 18psi anyway...so all i need is a G-valve and only turn it up 2psi from the standard 13psi to make 15psi to = 35bhp (going on fensport claim)

Stage 2 = I gots mongoose exhaust and aussie de-cat action = 45bhp (going on fensport claim)

So with adding 2psi boost to my current setup ill make the grand figure of....325bhp? :wacko:

What really annoys me is how tuners never quote torque figures with thier tuning stages goddamit. As if bhp is all that matters.

ps. yes ive just found out you can underline and set to bold...technology eh.

I see what you mean mate.. Bibbs and I have discussed this before.

What increase fensport quote would have to take into any boost increase also. So you couldn't have +45.. then add on the BHP from increasing boost also.

If you get what I mean ??

Still sticking to my 280BHP figure.

As midmotorsteve said rev1/2s seem to have difficulty above 260. My reference to this is the rolling road tuners I went to. Theyve seen many modded rev1/2s in various states of tune (usually with raised boost levels+exhaust+decat combo) and they all underperform on the rollers much to the owners dissapointments. Theres just too many bottlenecks apparently.

The bottom line is..dont beleive what distributers tell you, dont beleive what the guys fitting the parts tell you. The rollers are the only ones that that tell you the absolute truth.

Pizza Boy.... isn't the rev3 onwards 245BHP standard ?? Why do you quote only 235 in your sig ?

At the wheels figure.

okley dokley.....

so.... Who Questions Jimlad ?? ... lol :D

No one has given any proof, facts, evidence, decent reasons as to why it wouldn't be 280bhp.

As midmotorsteve said rev1/2s seem to have difficulty above 260. My reference to this is the rolling road tuners I went to. Theyve seen many modded rev1/2s in various states of tune (usually with raised boost levels+exhaust+decat combo) and they all underperform on the rollers much to the owners dissapointments. Theres just too many bottlenecks apparently.

The bottom line is..dont beleive what distributers tell you, dont beleive what the guys fitting the parts tell you. The rollers are the only ones that that tell you the absolute truth.

I can't see why rev1/2's would have any issues... Isn't the rev3 simply the same engine with a different turbo ?

I'd say the rev1 could hit anything a rev3 could... just simply the rev3 engine already has a 20bhp head start.

Dude you should head over to AVA Turbos next to Glasgow airport I might go in Jan before I start upratin stuff on my car.

Dude you should head over to AVA Turbos next to Glasgow airport I might go in Jan before I start upratin stuff on my car.

might do... a bit too much hassle tho... lol

Or I might just wait until I have all the performance upgrades complete. Seriously considering a Garrett Turbo or an uprated CT26.

Should hit at least 350BHP then. More if I go with the garrett.

I can't see why rev1/2's would have any issues... Isn't the rev3 simply the same engine with a different turbo ?

Riiiiggggghhhhttt (in my best doctor evil voice) :yes:

KEY differences:

- MAP sensor instead of AFM

- Bosch D-Jetronic (Gen III) vs. L-Jetronic (relatively primitive) engine management

- CT20b turbo replaces CT26

- Boost raised from 10psi to 13psi

- Fuel cut raised from 12 psi to 18 psi

- Different ECU

- 4 wire O2 sensor

- Shim under bucket valve shims

- slightly more aggressive cams

- Revised internals (pistons, con-rods etc.)

- Revised cylinder head cooling passages/water jackets

- Revised intake manifold (8 'independent long ports' reduced to 4)

- intake manifold inlet air temperature sensor added. i.e. after turbo and intercooler.

- Revised gearbox with close ratio gearing

- lower compression ratio

- stainless steel head gasket

- factory 540cc injectors replace 430cc injectors

- revised fuel rail with bigger bore and relocated pressure regulator

- TVIS eliminated

- EGR eliminated

- LSD in 80% of them

- throttle body increased from 55mm to 60mm

- inlet valve lift increased from 8.2 to 8.7

- intake manifold inlet air temperature sensor added

- Less restrictive exhaust elbow

- Aluminum oil pan

- more rigid alloy sump and additional oil baffles

- Factory Catch can

- Better Oil Cooler and relocated oil filter (bottom)

- 4 Channel ABS coupled with Traction Control available

- No. 1 compression ring described as 'stainless steel' instead of just 'steel'. Oil ring is described as 'stainless steel' instead of 'a combination of steel and stainless steel'.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...t=6915&hl=540cc

Cheers

KiwiMR2

goddam am looking around for an old link I had to jimlads question about the differences but I guess kiwimr2 answered it. The 3rd gen 3sgte is a completely upgraded engine. Basically...everything is bigger and stronger (LOL that sounds soooooo untechnical).

Jimlad .. your car (if at the peak) 220 BHP ..

+4/5 psi .. about +40 bhp .. (it's about 9/10 bhp per psi, but over 13 psi it's a lot less, and over 17 it starts dropping again).

And the exhaust/filter etc .. would have no effect as the way they get more power is by actually upping your boost ...

I'm at a dyno tomorrow .. will tell you then :D

Jimlad, the only way you will know for sure is to get the car on a rolling road. Scan the print out of the result, then everyone will believe you. I really hope this won't turn into a my ***** is bigger than your ***** discussion....... I reckon you're probably hitting around 260ish - I know I said you could be hitting 280, but I did say could. Bearing in mind you have a rev 1 car, I would image 260 is more realistic. At the end of the day what the hell?? 260 is one heck of a lot!!

(and make sure it is @ the wheels not Fly - as guesses at the transmition losses will vary from dyno to dyno)

My guess is around the 260bhp mark as well which is a hell of a lot anyway as Dame says!

Jimlad id like to see your car when your in Glasgow theres like no mr2 turbo owners here they are all NA boys (who bow down when they hear my pattishhh!lol). Want to be inspired by seeing a well modified mr2 Turbo in the skin :drool: