Do Not Sell My Personal Information

92 Camry Stalls

icculusjrx

Hey everybody, I have been reading non-stop on your forum for the last week trying to figure out what is wrong with my wife's car.

1992 Camry 2.2L with 105,000 miles. Car hasn't had any problems until a couple of weeks ago when it wouldn't start in the morning. That night it was about 14 below 0 and she only had about a third of a tank of gas in it. I put some Heet in it and tried starting it several times for a couple of days. It would have been nice if it was simply some frozen or wet gas, but alas that is not the problem.

In order, this is what has been done: added gas, added Heet, added more gas to dilute the Heet, checked to see if there was spark, checked EFI fuse, replaced fuel filter, replaced fuel pump, checked compression, replaced spark plugs, replaced wires, replaced distributor cap, replaced distributor rotor, replaced EFI main relay.

The car is at my mechanic friend's house, and he has been helping me through all of this. He is completely stumped too. The original fuel pump was getting about 40 lbs of pressure, and the replaced one is getting about 60. Logically we figured that was the culprit, but it is not. After it was installed the car started and ran enough to go get some lunch, but it started to stall on the way home.

The distributor cap had a spot on the inside from an arc, so that was a likely culprit too. It wasn't. All four cylinders are right around 175-180 of compression.

The symptoms are really weird right now. Sometimes it will just crank over and over without starting, and sometimes it will start but will stall out as soon as the gas pedal is depressed. After it stalls it will not start again. If it does start you can turn it off and get it to start immediately, but if you wait for half an hour to let it cool down, it will not start again.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure everyone was well informed.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1 month later...

If you or anyone still has this problem, email me at septicman@peoplepc.com as I probably have the answer !!

Hey everybody, I have been reading non-stop on your forum for the last week trying to figure out what is wrong with my wife's car.

1992 Camry 2.2L with 105,000 miles. Car hasn't had any problems until a couple of weeks ago when it wouldn't start in the morning. That night it was about 14 below 0 and she only had about a third of a tank of gas in it. I put some Heet in it and tried starting it several times for a couple of days. It would have been nice if it was simply some frozen or wet gas, but alas that is not the problem.

In order, this is what has been done: added gas, added Heet, added more gas to dilute the Heet, checked to see if there was spark, checked EFI fuse, replaced fuel filter, replaced fuel pump, checked compression, replaced spark plugs, replaced wires, replaced distributor cap, replaced distributor rotor, replaced EFI main relay.

The car is at my mechanic friend's house, and he has been helping me through all of this. He is completely stumped too. The original fuel pump was getting about 40 lbs of pressure, and the replaced one is getting about 60. Logically we figured that was the culprit, but it is not. After it was installed the car started and ran enough to go get some lunch, but it started to stall on the way home.

The distributor cap had a spot on the inside from an arc, so that was a likely culprit too. It wasn't. All four cylinders are right around 175-180 of compression.

The symptoms are really weird right now. Sometimes it will just crank over and over without starting, and sometimes it will start but will stall out as soon as the gas pedal is depressed. After it stalls it will not start again. If it does start you can turn it off and get it to start immediately, but if you wait for half an hour to let it cool down, it will not start again.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure everyone was well informed.

Thanks,

Jeff