Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 Oil Problem

iceland_potter

I'd say, just get your money back and take your time finding a new one. That way you get what you want. As for being carless, you might have to hire a cheap car for a little while like I did, or do the most horrible thing known to man - Public Transport!!!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iceland_potter

• edwardio

• Parts-King

• citizen__erased

Hi all,

I always said i'd keep the thread up to date and I'm posting now on what is hopefully the end of my saga.

I took the motor back to the garage today who looked round it then took my bank details off me to transfer the full amount of the car back to me.

After this I drove South and bought a new Celica from a private seller, a 52 plate 2003 facelift in Chili Red, with upgraded 17" alloys and a spoiler that I havn't identified yet which says "TTE" on it.

I'm really happy with it so far, as the guy's taken car of it (Pirellis or Bridgestones all round, immaculate inside and out, FTSH etc).

Btw I only paid £400 more for the 52 plate than the W plate with the oil consumption problem.

That's great news. I was going to ask you this evening how the drive back was. I hope this girl makes you a happy driver for a long time.

Iceland Hi

Not sure if you have sorted this problem yet, we have an Avensis with the same problem. I am sorry but I may be picking up on something the other here have not yet mentioned, Toyota waranty this fault to 7 years or 120.000 miles thats what Toyota customer service dept quioted when I phoned back in Feb, I notice your car is dated 2000 so this may cause a problem.

Regards

Densley, yes that is true they said the same to me. If the car was younger I would have asked the dealer I bought from to get the engine fixed by Toyota then hand it back to me working. Luckily I didn't come out of this badly as I got my money back in full - however because of this I'd be nervous about buying a pre-facelift Gen 7 Celica from a private seller.

Well, i've had my gen7 140 vvti 6 weeks now and the oil level hasn't budged. I've covered around 900 miles during this time. I'm guessing my car is free of the dreaded oil problem (for the time being anyway)? Finally getting the knackered discs replaced tomorrow.

sounds like you've done well there citizen, congrats.

Funnily enough I now have knackered discs on my new one :P

It seems that the brake discs are a little poor on the gen7. Mine haven't worn out, they've corroded away. At least it's still under warranty and i'm not footing the bill :D

Most cars with the oil problem seem to have around 80k on the clock, so i guess it could still be a problem for me if i keep my car long enough.

Exactly the same with mine! Corroded! Maybe you're right and they're prone to it on the Gen 7s.

I took my new one to a garage yesterday who agreed to strip all my brakes down and clean the "carriers", which sounded good but doesnt seem to have made a lot of difference, but they definately needed some elbow grease as apparantly the rear brakes had seized up! The guy recommended new discs and pads on the front though so thats why I'm looking on eBay and this guy : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=017 needs to know whether I need 255mm or 275mm and I'm not sure, suppose I could phone Mr T later.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there iceland

must just say well done on refund and that was a realy good read . mine has done just over 50k now and all is ok so far its on an o2 pre face lift and not sure if mine is one of the engines thats got to prob or not but its fine at the mo like i said and hope it stays that way after all the work iv done on it so far . anyway good luck in the future with your new one mate fingers crossed for ya .. bye now russ ..

thisone.jpg

cheers russ.

My final update is that I sent this letter off last Monday 7th April 08

Dear Mr Sims,

Thank you for completing the refund of the Toyota Celica recently.

I enclose my receipts for costs incurred on the return of the faulty Toyota Celica motor vehicle W283 LBC.

The expenses are itemised as per the following:

27th February 2008 : 2 x Motor Oil to prevent the engine from failing @ 9.97 = £19.94

17th March 2008 : Rail travel from Stockport while car is being looked at by Evans Halshaw @ £9.30, time off work 2 hours @ £19.45 = £48.20

18th March 2008 : Rail travel to Stockport to pick up car from Evans Halshaw = £13.80, time off work 1.5 hours @ £19.45 = £42.98

Total claimed = £111.12

Please respond to this letter within 7 days, I look forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

got a single cheque in the post Saturday morning for £43.04 with no accompanying letter or slip. This was the exact amount of the train travel plus motor oil, therefore disregarding my time.

In the end then I got there, I wasn't in a great position as I was back to square one, but at least I got a full refund and the money back for expenses in getting to and from the garage. I feel its now appropriate to name the garage as Evans Halshaw Vauxhall in Stockport.

All you ever get back is direct costs and never everything you should get back. I remember with my whole situation and I was trying to claim lost money on 3 months road tax & insurance, but never got it back! As you've said, you got a good result in the end with regards to getting all your direct costs back. Problem with a lot of garages around, is that they've forgotten the art of good customer service.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links