Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hesitant Engine! Engine Light On!

uncoiledwonder

hey i've just brought my 2000 (W) mr2! and am new to this forum (so sorry if done it wrong)

my older brother previous owned the car and the engine light came on a year after he brought it (2004) he took it to toyota and they couldnt find anything wrong with it! (he didnt drive/accelerate the car fast, literally never over 70mph) he took it in about 3 times and still nothing!

so when i got the car i obliviously floored it and noticed that at 4,100rpm it hesitants sometimes so minor others where the lack of power is frustrating!

its no problem to drive still quick, but i dont think its to its ful potential!

toyota obliviously thought this problem wasnt a major issue and let the car drive on!

i was wondering if anyone could help diagnose problem!

is it just the vvti? (i'm not use to)

something to do with the airflow into the engine?

oh also i noticed that the left (as you look at the engine) exhaust/emmission sensor has been replaced (by toyota)

the car is unmodified!

sorry for rambling on!

steve

At 4000 revs the veriable valves kick in and you should notice the car really go. You get max Torque at 3600 revs & max HP at 6600 revs.

However it could be something, though if Toyota say it's nothing major then it's prob something very minor. When did the car last get serviced? I'm mainly thinking of the air filter & plugs here, plus oil I guess.

Is the engine light still on?

At 4000 revs the veriable valves kick in and you should notice the car really go. You get max Torque at 3600 revs & max HP at 6600 revs.

However it could be something, though if Toyota say it's nothing major then it's prob something very minor. When did the car last get serviced? I'm mainly thinking of the air filter & plugs here, plus oil I guess.

Is the engine light still on?

Look in tech info and tips MAF sensor cleaning, mine used to do exactly the same, cleaned the MAF now ok!!

well i asuming that toyota dont think its anything major! because they had the car three times and didnt follow it up! (could just being lazy tho?(unlike toyota))

the car is due a service i just brought it this month so put it through as soon as financially viable!

yes the engine light is always on!

was the engine light on in yours bgorman?

thanxs really helpfull

I'm surprised that they didn't look at it more closely if the light is always on and they're seen this. I would've thought that they would've at least done a diagostics on it.

Hi and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I'm not saying it could be the same fault but mine has had a similar problem, I never had any lack of power but it would suddenly hesitate then the engine light comes on, I had been putting it down to driving in granny mode and the sensor for the VVTi kicks in the CEL, my normal course of action was to reset the ecu by disconnecting the Battery for ten minutes, the light usually stayed off until the next time I drove in the same manner.

I have however found what might be the problem, since my last service I have driven VERY conservatively due to the ice and greasy roads and not once has the light come on, I can only assume that when the oil is getting tired and carbon accumulates, it can cause these symptoms.

As has been suggested, try cleaning the MAF sensor and get it serviced then see how things are.

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links