Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carinae Alarm/ecu [tvssiii-b]

flexy7

• 4 weeks later...

:huh: Hello, I've had my current CarinaE {'95 2ltr GLi Estate} for about 3 years , throughout this period I've been plagued by alarm & central-locking problems. The remote C/L long since departed, most recently the alarm keeps going off when ever you do anything (It does eventually go off but starts again soon as you stop/start/open doors etc..) [throughout all these alarm problems the car has started & ran perfectly , Hence me leaving the problem.] Anyway I'd finally had enough so I ripped out the ECU {Behind the glovebox} & unplugged it. Since then everything is quiet & there are no flashing lights! Plus everything seems to work properly?! The only issue at first was the door c/l mechanisms kept trying to open each door,(Different sound than the closing sound)when ever I opened the door [with the key still in the ignition],but I can live with this slight annoyance. *My main query is : By unplugging the ECU {TVSSIII-B} will this have any adverse effect on the cars electronics? (Apart from the obvious security issues) the C/L works fine,via the key! Please respond asap as I need to know, thanks flexy7 P.S. I have tried ALL the solutions to alarm/ECU problems on this & other forums, not one of them worked with mine,hence me ripping out the ECU. :unsure:

Funny how life works - I have a problem, I find this forum off a Google search, and here's someone else with almost the same problem, contemplating the same solution, and not even 4 weeks ago to boot!

I have a 1.6L Carina E with central locking and the Toyota 5000 "Theft Deterrent System", altho I think it really oughta be named the "Owner Irritation System". I long ago disabled the alarm siren (with the rotary key that's supplied), but I've had issues quite recently quite similar to yours: car not starting, keyfobs won't disable the system, then they will, then they won't, etc etc etc. I have removed the glovebox to gain access to what I believe to be the alarm system control unit so I can remove it, which I will do today.

Question: Anything else I need to do after simply disconnecting the alarm control unit? Any jumpers I hafta cross or anything like that to make the car operate normally? Thanx for any help....

Pls email any tips to me at

toyota [the ampersand symbol] blakelys d0t us

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links