Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Gasket

Tow Mater

Hey guys guess what :(

My water level is dropping again. I think this haed gasket is on it's way out, these cars are nothing like as reliable as the early ones are they? :huh:

Guys,

I would like to add to this,

I have drove the older avensis Mark 1 and Mark 2 and not had any major issues

The Mark 2 had the flywheel problem - and thats it.

Recently some of the my taxi friends have bought, the new 07 / 08 avensis and had nothing but trouble,

Alot of them have been in, and had injectors, turbos, headgaskets and engines.

Were only talking of 10 cars, but all have been off road due to issues

every single car has had some part, replaced.

Once I used to say "buy toyota", now I say "buy toyota, but not the newones"

Guys,

I would like to add to this,

I have drove the older avensis Mark 1 and Mark 2 and not had any major issues

The Mark 2 had the flywheel problem - and thats it.

Recently some of the my taxi friends have bought, the new 07 / 08 avensis and had nothing but trouble,

Alot of them have been in, and had injectors, turbos, headgaskets and engines.

Were only talking of 10 cars, but all have been off road due to issues

every single car has had some part, replaced.

yes and it is because each BRAND tries to catch more buyers and nothing more.

the quality of the cars is worse and worse. I recognise my last ford sierra of 1985 having no problems but only regular testing of injectors in my garage.

:) cheers

• 6 months later...

Hi all

Had a very interesting conversation with my local service manager the other day.

Toyota knows there is a problem with head gaskets on the 2.2 D4D, in fact the last time mine was repaired it was fitted with an up dated head gasket.

It didn't last 30,000 miles.

It's a coating on the gasket apparently.

For those of you who don't care too much about your cars, I have done 40,000 miles in mine with a blowing head gasket and the temperature gauge in the red 80% of the time, But it's still running. :o

yes it is my cars head gasket , its gone ,,, gonna take a week to put in they said , i asked him was the new head gasket under warranty , the dealer said that my new head gasket is under warranty for a year unlimited mileage !!! so why did you guys have all the hassle??????????/

Thank god i didn't buy an Avensis, i really wanted to stick with Toyota but sadly they have become very unreliable cars from feedback in the taxi trade.

They will have to improve before customers like me return.

I heard exactly the same thing from taxi drivers about the later models.

My cars done 73,650 and head gasket ain't been replaced once. Car runs fine and temp never goes above half way. Should i keep an eye out??? What are the tell tale signs? Has Toyota increased the warranty to 100,000 miles for this problem...

Agreed. I and my brother-in-law drove my Carina II '90 for 600 000 km without any other than "expected" repairs.

I have (former taxi) Avensis Verso D4D '02 now 360 000 km. Yes, I blew the turbo, but I confess I did not change the filters in time.

But, I believe, when they started making these 2.2 D4D's in Poland, and something went very,very wrong.

Luckily, I can not afford these later Avensis. Will stick with pre '05. Aren't Versos still made in Japan?

hi guys, Been following this tread with a bit of trepidation got a 2.2tr 2008 tourer with now 52000 on clock i must admit my major problem so far is rear tyre wear inside of nsr still trying to get this sorted as mr t wants me to fit new tyres all the time to check it out, and minor faults that dont seem worth mentioning but now i am a little concerned about this overheating problem most of my work is long distance high speed motorway work so are these ideal conditions for this current problem? Maybe one of the techies that frequent this site can clarify extented warranties ect so if we find ourselves in this situation have some ammo to fire at our respective dealers. I for one do not relish the thout of a three to five grand bill for a known problem especially when the taxi trade is very poor at the moment.

When i took mine in with the headgasket blowing i was told that he knew nothing of any 'extended warranties' but they still repaired it F.O.C. Mine has full main dealer service history etc.

Tell tale signs are having to fill up the coolant tank every day, the temperature guage going through the roof and bubbling and hissing noises coming from the coolant tank. :)

When i took mine in with the headgasket blowing i was told that he knew nothing of any 'extended warranties' but they still repaired it F.O.C. Mine has full main dealer service history etc.

Tell tale signs are having to fill up the coolant tank every day, the temperature guage going through the roof and bubbling and hissing noises coming from the coolant tank. :)

tell tale signs

heater goes cooler than normal

temp guage goes a bit higher

header tank for cooling system turning black inside

tell tale signs

heater goes cooler than normal

temp Gauge goes a bit higher

header tank for cooling system turning black inside

Eventually it will blow 50% of it's water out the top within 20 miles.

The heater will stop working and only blow cold (lack of water).

The temperature is always in the red.

But still running :huh:

45,000 miles after first symptoms.

Hi guys,

just joined the thread and i've had a similar problem with the head. It was cracked a few weeks ago by a piece of the turbo breaking off and getting into the pistons.

Mechanic has found a new head but i'm unsure about the condition of the bottom half of the engine. Could the impact of the piece of the turbo damage the crankshaft or anything else down there?

It's a 99 2.0 TD Avensis, no D4D.

Thanks in advance for any help.

**POSTED ON BEHALF OF SHREDDY**

Report:

For the second time in three weeks I have reported coolant loss and a ‘gurgling’ from my T180 (56,000miles, so still in warranty — just!). I Googled this problem and it is obviously a known problem. When I first mentioned this situation to my main dealer they said all is OK (getting near out-of warranty!), air in the system and it should bleed itself!!!! Took it back again yesterdayand asked if it might be a ‘gasket’ (rather head) problem. Within minutes of dropping the car off I had a call confirming my suspicions. The garage has booked the car in for two weeks time (it seems they are doing one car a week currently — and this is a small local garage) but can not say how long the car will be in until it is stripped down. Reading between the lines, this is more than a head gasket, as the receptionist said it may well be more than a few days as there is a shortage of parts!

It would seem that the head needs replacing. But what I am wondering is — as I am leasing the car, can I just hand it back as unfit for purpose? (I have not yet read the small print in the lease contract) — or are my hand tied?

I have no problem with Toytota in general (my wife runs a Landcruiser that is fine), but I do not want to end up out of pocket over this.

My last five cars have all been diesels, each at least 130,000 miles on each within my three-year contract (VW Passats and Honda Accords), no problems other that fair wear and routine maintenance). So come on Toyota, where did you go wrong on this engine? OK, you have a problem that you don’t want to advertise. I understand. But don’t let your dealers fob us off with a load of rubbish!!

Next car? I will see how this problem is sorted. Love the T180 engine, but the Honda was a better car to drive — more dynamic. Hope this finds its way to the forum.

NOTE TO SHREDDY: You should press the REPLY BUTTON and NOT the REPORT POST button!!

Have to say its not only toyota thats having problems, my mate works in vw and says the 2.0 TDi PD engine is a nightmare, the 1.9's are supposed to be fine, but isnt the 2.0 d4d supposed to be pretty reliable?

But the problems with the 2.2 d4d is the stuff of nightmares, shocking.

Surely the 2.0 d4d in an 06 onwards Avensis would be a great car? Other than engines, toyotas dont seem to be prone to suspension problems etc as some other makes.