Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Headlight Bulb (passengers Side)

hl07

This may sound like a stupid queston to some but is there a technique to doing this? There is just not enought space behind the light to get in as the fuse box is in the way. A friend told me to unscrew the fuse box and move it to the side, I unscrewed it but it wasn't moving and I didn't want to force it. Does anyone have any tips?

i had the same problem as you. My drivers side headlight is brighter than my passenger side light because i couldn't get the bulb out on the other side! :P I haven't had time since i changed it last week. I was told the same thing, "Unscrew the fuse box and taking it out", but i was also told there was a way where you didn't have to do that? i haven't had another go yet, but i will try again if i get some time this week.

hmm...my dad changed both of mine in just a few mins, and he hasnt really got small hands...

hes got "chunky working mans" hands lol

he didnt move the fuse box, so theres deffo a way techniuqe to doing it...

The fuse box is in the way, just undo the bolt AND LIFT IT UP as there is a locating peg holding it into the inner wing. Once you lift it up there is a bit of movement in the cable to be able to lift it out of the way, leave all the wiring in place, you don't need to remove any wiring out of the box. Work safely, Remove the Battery leads first!

kingo :thumbsup:

i had this problem... its all about getting your wiggle on! the drivers side takes no time... took me a good 10-15mins of wiggling to get it loose coz its in such a awkward position on the passangers, i tried moving the fuse box but you cant really move it that much... unless you take out alot of wires. you can unscrew it through so you have a bit more leverage... but its one of those things that is annoying and takes time. but as parts king said. do that! (its probally like it is so u give up and take it in to mr t to do lol!)

• 6 years later...

Push, hold and tern. Trick is not to pull but push. Do not disconnect
wires or boxes imho, instead get less butch hands to do the job.

When you say "turn", which way do you turn it - obviously you pushing forward, so do you turn left or right, or does it not matter.

Hey Guys, When i changed my bulbs i had to unscrew the whole unit to twist it in the right direction to get access to the back of the cluster. But according to the Haynes manuel you should take off the bumper to gain access to the headlight cluster.

Hope this helps

Jon

Push, hold and turn clockwise.

Do not unplug anything. Put all the force into pushing. All technique.

• 3 years later...
First, I would like the join the queue of people, and it`s rather a long queue, who would like to give a smack bottom to the Toyota design engineer responsible for the Yaris headlight mount. It is patently RIDICULOUS that changing a headlight bulb is such a problem.

I thought about removing the relay box (to facilitate access to the rear of the headlight unit), but there is a 3rd bolt access to which is almost impossible, particularly with the H/L unit in place. Whilst I had the headlamp out I removed that nut to see if it enabled sufficient movement of the relay unit to give adequate access to the H/L. I found it didn`t, so personally I wouldn`t bother trying to move the relay unit.

Removing the front bumper (well actually just releasing the top of it) didn`t actually take as long as I thought it would. It does need a hefty pull (next to the wheel arch) to get it unhooked, I`d be slightly concerned that the bumper unit would be susceptible to cracking as a result of that.....

The plastic “reusable” rivets tend to crack, some of mine did anyway, on a 9 year old Yaris. Ideally I`d get some spares in before starting the job, but, some can be replaced with short M6 roofing bolts (or similar) so in the end there wasn`t a problem.

Access to the H/L bolt under the (top of the) bumper unit  was difficult because the bumper curves over it and limits access. I found a 10mm ring spanner (the “older” type with the “drop end”) was the best tool to remove it. I knew it`d pay off having them rather then the modern tendency to just have combination spanners !

Hope this helps some people.....

We have a 2014 Yaris and it's easy to change the headlight bulbs, so I think Toyota have sorted the issue on the later models.

Mick.

For those who try to attempt the removal without extracting the headlight (and therefore cannot see the bulb retaining clips), here`s  pic of them. You bend them in slightly then pull back to release the clips. In fact, if you look carefully at the bulb from the front (whilst it`s in the H/L unit) you can see a little bit of the clips, which will help to explain how they work / where they are.

Yaris headlight retaining clips 800W L10.jpg

3 hours ago, Mick F said:

We have a 2014 Yaris and it's easy to change the headlight bulbs, so I think Toyota have sorted the issue on the later models.

Mick.

Yes, Mick, they must have improved the access because I had no trouble when fitting Nightbreaker lamps to my '14.

The retaining clip, on mine, is different to that picture. It only locks in one place and then hinges away from the lamp. It also appears that they use some dielectric grease, during assembly, on the connector.

• 10 months later...

I may have confused people here in 2014.

To change both the passenger side main beam or indicator you still don't need to remove fuse box or anything. Just use your left hand to release one side of the metal pin...

Large Main Beam with Dipped H4 Car Bulb on Yaris 2001 to 2005: 

1. Pull to remove the plastic plug with wires attached.
2. Pull to remove the large black rubber bung/ring/cover.
3. There is one large clip that needs to be pushed in and to the side to release at both sides and held in place with a screw to prevent it falling off when you release. You should use your left hand to release one end of this clip. The photo by Justin Smith above is a slight variant on a  clip found on a newer model I believe but the principle is the same.
4. Place new light bulb in and re-assemble.

Indicator light:

1.Push and turn clockwise to release and put back in

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links