Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dunlop Tyres Made In Japan

Shirvic

I have some Dunlop D8z tyres made in japan. I am trying to determine when they were manufactured. I have read all the usual blurb about how to interpret tyrewall markings but am unable still to determine the year of manufacture on these tyres! Do Japanese tyres have some different way of showing these details?

It won't be so much as where the tyre was manufactured, but more which country it was intended to be used, tyres are made and sent ALL over the world, but different countries have different laws, so what is legal in one country may not be legal in another... for instance, tyres to be used in Japan do not need to carry the "E" number but in the UK it is a legal requirement (which is why Japanese imports require the tyres to be changed)..... so the factory will stamp on the relevent legal requirements for every country they are shipping to regardless of where the tyre is manufactured..... as for telling how old a Japanese tyre is could also depend on where it was intended to be used, in the UK the info below should tell you how old the tyre is... might be the same in Japan too, but I'm not sure... but might help you figure it out anyway.

Also worth noting that tyres that are 10 years old or older aren't recommended for use.

The chronological age of any tyre can be found on the tyre sidewall by examining the characters following the symbol "DOT".

For tyres manufactured after the year 1999, the last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tyre to the nearest week. The first two of these four numbers identify the week of manufacture (which range from "01" to "52"). The last two numbers identify the year of manufacture (e.g., a tyre with the information "DOT XXXXXX2703" was manufactured in the 27th week of 2003).

For tyres manufactured prior to the year 2000, three numbers instead of four indicate the date of manufacture.

Also, during the early 1990's, Continental added a triangle (◄) to the end of the character string to distinguish a tyre built in the 1990's from previous decades.

(e.g., a tyre with the information "DOT XXXXXX274◄" was manufactured in the 27th week of 1994).

It won't be so much as where the tyre was manufactured, but more which country it was intended to be used, tyres are made and sent ALL over the world, but different countries have different laws, so what is legal in one country may not be legal in another... for instance, tyres to be used in Japan do not need to carry the "E" number but in the UK it is a legal requirement (which is why Japanese imports require the tyres to be changed)..... so the factory will stamp on the relevent legal requirements for every country they are shipping to regardless of where the tyre is manufactured..... as for telling how old a Japanese tyre is could also depend on where it was intended to be used, in the UK the info below should tell you how old the tyre is... might be the same in Japan too, but I'm not sure... but might help you figure it out anyway.

Also worth noting that tyres that are 10 years old or older aren't recommended for use.

The chronological age of any tyre can be found on the tyre sidewall by examining the characters following the symbol "DOT".

For tyres manufactured after the year 1999, the last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tyre to the nearest week. The first two of these four numbers identify the week of manufacture (which range from "01" to "52"). The last two numbers identify the year of manufacture (e.g., a tyre with the information "DOT XXXXXX2703" was manufactured in the 27th week of 2003).

For tyres manufactured prior to the year 2000, three numbers instead of four indicate the date of manufacture.

Also, during the early 1990's, Continental added a triangle (◄) to the end of the character string to distinguish a tyre built in the 1990's from previous decades.

(e.g., a tyre with the information "DOT XXXXXX274◄" was manufactured in the 27th week of 1994).

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation, its good for the knowledge bank. However, the real problem is that the recognisable 'DOT xxxx' does not appear on the tyres, were it so I could have established the year of manufacture.

The DOT number could be on your inner sidewall.. you might need to take the wheel off to find it (If on the car) If there is no DOT mark or an E mark.. then it's quite possible the tyres are ileagle in the UK.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links