Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Cam Belt?

ShoX

Hullo!,

Just been and bought a 1.8 Avensis, Estate (Yes, I know, but i have kids....) waiting to pick it up next tuesday after they've done most of the usual, bought it straight from a dealer and actually got a pretty good deal in the end.

Anyway, enough of my life story.

Its a 2000, got 38k on the clock. Now in the past with all of the cars i've ever bought ive always had the cambelt changed, they're only about 15quid and absolutly crucial to the car, how much do you think I would pay to have the dealer do it? Or in your opinion is it worth it ?

Cheers.

Rob

They are usually quite crucial so worth doing, however, on some Toyota engines its not a problem if the belt does snap, all that will happen is you will lose drive, but I'm not sure about it on the 1.8, but, to my knowledge they are supposed to be replaced at 5 years or 60k.

If it needed to be done now, then the Toyota dealer you have just bought it from should do it for you with the service that they are carrying out on it like they did with mine, read the manual when your first get it as it should say in there.

If you change it yourself, you could invalidate the 1 year warranty (or more if you have purchased extra) that comes with the car.

BTW - don't be embarrased at owning an Avensis estate, theres nothing wrong with them, and are easier to drive than the hatch/saloon ones as the end of the car is the rear window - much easier for reverse parking, aswell as the extra space.

I was actually quite impressed with it, this is my new family car. Gave it a bit of stick round a few empty roundabouts on my test drive and was suprised with the handling tbh. The back end gets a bit twitchy when you turn hard and brake, but thats to be expected with all estates. And I have my standards high as i own a Nissan 300zx for the weekends :)

Think ill get them to change it, they're doing the MOT and fitting some front fog lights for me on monday, ill get them to do the cam belt too.

Cheers mate.

Rob

Actually, the estates are quite good! I had one in germany for a while and the handling was much more balanced than my hatch back. The hatch back ones tend to understeer a great deal. But on the estate, with the extra weight at the rear they are much more balanced.

Welcome to many happy years of cheap motoring!

If its a X reg It could be a VVTi

In other words if it is

It dont have a belt ;)

They are chain driven with no intervals to change

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone, new owner of an avensis tourer tr, and here is my first question, can anyone tell me if D4d's(2.0) are cam chain or cam belt, looking at the servicing schedule doesnt seem to suggest a cam belt change but it would be nice to confirm it as a chain for my peace of mind :0) Cheers all and thanks in advance.

As pointed out above VVTi engines are chain drive & as such don't need changing. Unless required due to wear & tear. Not so sure about if chain lets go, I think you will find that you will have a major Engine rebuild. Exactly the same with D4D engines, belt drive- 2Ltr & 1.4Ltr, if belt should ever let go your engine will go bang. Belt change at 60,000 miles.