Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Consumption Of Engine Oil

CTS03

Dear all

It will be very helpful to know your experience for engine oil consumption in 1.8TS.

My CTS has approximately 60.000 km and regularly consumes about 150ml / 1.000km, if the distance from the min to maximum oil level marks corresponds to 1.5 L.

In other words, the oil level would move from max to min if I would change oil every 10.000 km.

The car is driven on average at ~4000-4500 rpm.

I use 5w40 fully synthetic but I have also the same results for 10w40 (Toyota oils)

Dear all

It will be very helpful to know your experience for engine oil consumption in 1.8TS.

My CTS has approximately 60.000 km and regularly consumes about 150ml / 1.000km, if the distance from the min to maximum oil level marks corresponds to 1.5 L.

In other words, the oil level would move from max to min if I would change oil every 10.000 km.

The car is driven on average at ~4000-4500 rpm.

I use 5w40 fully synthetic but I have also the same results for 10w40 (Toyota oils)

I wouldnt say it would be anything to worry about, these engines run quite hot and if it has been ran on average at 4,000-4,500 rpm then the oil has just been burned with the high temperatures....and will use more if you use the lift....i have also read that consumption may be higher with Fully Synthetic oils than Semi....Id say when it starts consuming 1l per 1,000 miles its time to worry.....

Mine uses very little oil is around 80% full after 7,000 miles of LIFT B) on 5w30 Semi Synthetic. Going to leave it in for a service in the next few weeks, i was thinking of using Millers 10w40 Fully Synthetic (My local Toyota dealer told me to only use 10w40) and someone said on here that their dealer said using any less than 10w40 can cause glazing of the bores....

How did the car run on 10w40???

Mine uses very little oil is around 80% full after 7,000 miles of LIFT B) on 5w30 Semi Synthetic. Going to leave it in for a service in the next few weeks, i was thinking of using Millers 10w40 Fully Synthetic (My local Toyota dealer told me to only use 10w40) and someone said on here that their dealer said using any less than 10w40 can cause glazing of the bores....

The 5w30 is forbidden for TS according to Corolla's manual.

In Greece, Toyota is normally using fully synthetic 5w40. I asked my Toyota service station to use 10w40 when the car had 15.000km. There was certainly some consumption but I did not keep values at that time.

The 5w30 is forbidden for TS according to Corolla's manual.

In Greece, Toyota is normally using fully synthetic 5w40. I asked my Toyota service station to use 10w40 when the car had 15.000km. There was certainly some consumption but I did not keep values at that time.

Thats funny as I'm sure that in the owners manual it states the recommended oil to use its 5w30 or is it just me ?? Can somebody confirm??

Yep the UK manual definately says to use 5w30.

It depends on ambient temperatures though.

Yep the UK manual definately says to use 5w30.

It depends on ambient temperatures though.

We all have the same manual.

In fact, my statement about the 5w30 was not exactly right. It is indeed recommended for all Corollas for a wide temperature range but for the 2zz-ge engine is allowed only up to 10 degrees Celsius (or 50F), while the 10w30 can be used even above ~ 40C !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links