Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scrubbing Noise When Turning

MrWinkey

Hi Guys,

can anyone help with this problem.

About a month ago we noticed a scrubbing / rubbing noise coming from the front of the car (sounded like the wheels), when we turned right at speed. The noise sounded like something was rubbing on the wheel / tyre. It was only a faint noise, and came from the left side.

Now gradually this noise has got louder, and now sounds like it si coming from both wheels, and is generated when turing either way now.

We are not too sure, but we thought we heard the noise when going straight today, but if we did, it was not conctant, and have not heard it since when goign straight.

I did the service on the car today, so while it was up in the air, i checked around to see if it was anything obviouse, but found nothing. I checked all the Boots, the bushes for play, the wheels for play, the break discs of warp, and didnt find anything.

Now i appreciate that me simply spinning the wheels for disc warp, and pushing and pulling for play, will not simulate the efffects of the whole weight of a moving car, so either fo these could well still be a factor.

Has anyone experinced this type of thing? (i also checked for tyre clearence, and they dont rub on anything)

Thanks in advance,

Jay

If you turn the wheel to full lock, then drive round slowly in a circle, do you hear it? The obvious answer would be a stone stuck between the disc and the disc guard/brake plate whatever you call it.

Hi Chris,

thanks for the reply, although i think i have not explained myself properly.

The noise is not constant, it is as though something is warped, and rubbing intermittantly, like a chuf, chuf, chuf, sort of noise, which increases or decreases with speed.

I hope this gives a clearer explanation of the problem, and someone can help shed some light on it now.

Cheers,

Jay

Check the plastic trim that goes into wheel arch, may be moving when the car moves and lightly touching wheel? Could actually be poor oil in the engine if it's a chuf chuf chuf noise like you describe, use Millers 10w40, it makes a massive difference!

Does it do it in straight lines or only in corners?

Could be brakes or bearings. Could be a loose arch liner which is rubbing on wheel. I had a loose arch liner and got rubbing on lock, was easy to put back up.

Hi Guys,

cheers for the replies, but it has been sorted now.

I dont understand how (as the noise was not constant), but it turned out to be rust on the outer edge of the break disc. Our local mechanic sorted it for free in about 30mins.

Cheers,

Jay

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links