Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talk Torque

John R

The car I have now has buckets of torque, and I love it.

Is there anyway to increase torque in an n/a mkII rev3? Other than the obvious, i.e. exhausts/de-catting. And I'll have an induction kit too.

And without NOS.... for the meanwhile :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Just to give an example, my car at the minute (well, the ones I've just sold) is a small 3 door hatchback with 145lb/ft torque in stock form. with a respectable 90Bhp :)

It pulls really well, being light with a fair bit of torque for a hatchback.

well... could try port polishing... or put a turbo on it... or swap the engine...

you've got the right idea with decat/exhaust/induction m8, only other thing i can think of is maybe a remap?

yea it's a chip, basically just changes the amount of fuel/air that goes into your engine... should see an increase in bhp/torque..

works really well on diesels, can see up to a 60bhp increase if done correctly

Their are various types. Soem that replace the ecu, or other that wok alongside it. The one often said to be a good chip (for 2's neway) it known as a UniChip it "piggy-backs" the current ECU of ur car. Quick net search'l, (or even on these forums, unless the posts have been lost...) yield info about it.

-Z

I havn't heard good things about Unichips, or maybe that's some other make.

I I were to get my engine mapped, Id get a propper place to do it, not get a generic chip. Something specific to the MR2.

Any suggestions?

The other way to increase the torque would be to have the engine re-bored to get a larger capacity, for even more how about a stroker kit.

dastek chip ro0lz for NA...oh yea and if ya want a lil extra torque heres a free mod...remove the spare wheel and tool kit lighten it up :thumbsup:

yeah - take the spare and tool kit out .. and then under stear all over the place ..

Random weight loss from any point on the car is going to upset handling .. leaving the weight over the front wheels will allow you to stear better ..

May as well put 155 tyres on the front and 255's on the rear ..

(And it's not really adding torque) ..

To add torque do NOT get a free flowing exhaust .. back pressure keeps the low end power .. free flowing spoils the low down stuff and improves top end ..

yeah - take the spare and tool kit out .. and then under stear all over the place ..

Random weight loss from any point on the car is going to upset handling .. leaving the weight over the front wheels will allow you to stear better ..

May as well put 155 tyres on the front and 255's on the rear ..

I didnt know it was essential to have these parts in the car to keep it balanced?. Surely that would only be an issue if you drive and corner hard?

But if weight is so important isnt this true with random weight gain? Like sound installs,etc?

(And it's not really adding torque)

Was just takin the pish. Shoulda highlighted that I suppose.

i think there is a reason that the spare with the Battery is in the front - right between the front wheels ..

but as you say .. adding bodykits and heavy rims to your car isn't going to help :D

to be honest, im not happy with the front end at high speed - i think it is way too light and feels quite unsafe.

i was actually thinking of doing the complete opposite and dumping the spare wheel in favour of a bag on cement or something - to add weight.

dont care about the loss of a bhp or 2, and the potential millisecond less 0-60 if it was to improve the front end stability.

any thoughts peeps? :unsure:

The Dastek Unichip is a computer in its own right, and is spliced into the cars ECU loom where it intercepts and modifies timing and fuelling instructions from the main ECU to to the engine, to set this up the installer will run the car on a rolling road at various loads and speeds and will modify use the Unichip to modify the cars ignition advance and fuelling at various points, to ensure that the engine is performaing at its maximum potential. Installation typically takes about 5 hours, I'm going to get one fitted in the new year at Millway in Andover, and have been quoted £400+VAT.

The unichip enables fuel and advance settings that are outside of the Toyota ECUs normal parameters, so with careful setting you should see gains in torque, power AND fuel economy... A mk3 MR2 on MR2-ROC saw an increase in power to nearly 160bhp, (from 138) and a very healthy increase in low end torque.

Using a Unichip will also allow you to make the most of mods that the original ECU was not designed for, such as free flowing exhausts and cold air intakes, and it can even be configured to control additional fueling for turbos, or water injection.

for more details, and your nearest installer try Dastek's Website

Also, take a look at this link at the MR2 Roadster Owners Club to see what difference a Unichip made to the low down torque on a 1.8 N/A Mk3...

Think I'll be getting this:

iconrace.jpg

Reprogrammes your engines Ignition Advance Curve giving approximately 8 BHP increase at 4,500rpm. Improved Power/Torque and throttle response From 3,000rpm, Easily fitted into wiring loom just ahead of ecu.

Anyway, I'm off. Merry crimbo, yer complete set of *****s yer!

It's not possible to remap the Toyota ECU without doing major mods to the ecu internals. There is a place in the US that does this. But it's no different to fitting the unichip from Dastek. The nicest thing about the Unichip is the fact that it is a piggyback unit and you can remove it very easily to fit onto your next car.