Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Speed Ratings

Tim1111

I've got a 94 Celica GT.

The current tyres have a Z speed rating, but bridgestones website recommends a V.

Am I safe to stick V's on it, or is this likely to invalidate insurance or anything - I can't find any official guidance on the recommended tyre speed ratings except from Bridgestone!

Hope someone can help before I waste money putting Z's on unnecessarily to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Tim

• 2 months later...
I've got a 94 Celica GT.

The current tyres have a Z speed rating, but bridgestones website recommends a V.

Am I safe to stick V's on it, or is this likely to invalidate insurance or anything - I can't find any official guidance on the recommended tyre speed ratings except from bridgestone!

Hope someone can help before I waste money putting Z's on unnecessarily to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Tim

depends on what speeds you're intending doing. If you use the car for school trips and mainly town work it won't matter for the slower rated tyre. The Z rating states that the tyre is SAFE to do those particular speeds

Here's a couple of sites that help with the coding on tyre side walls

Tyre explanation

Side wall markings inturpretted

hope these help

What size of tyres do you have?.. Just because a V rated tyre has a lower speed rating it doesn't mean it will be a cheaper tyre. With tyres what you find is that the most common tyre is the cheapest tyre, this is due to production runs/costs.. if a Z or W rated tyre is more popular they will no doubt be cheaper (not by much in most cases) than V rated.

A V rated tyre is rated at 149mph.. this means that the tyre will withstand that speed for no more than 15 minutes constant use.. does the Celica GT do 149mph? if not.. V rated tyres would be sufficient. If you are in any doubt.. a simple phone call to your insurance company and you will get their recommendation.

does the Celica GT do 149mph? if not.. V rated tyres would be sufficient.
How about that as a way to enforce the 70MPH speed limit, only sell tyres rated for speeds up to 90mph. You speed and your tyres blow up.

Might cut down on car theft too, especially if the police are allowed higher speed rated tyres. All tea leaves would know the cops could always catch them and if they get to 90mph the tyres on the stolen car will blow.