Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Post Your Driving Style And Compare Mpg

Johan007

Trying to improve my own driving style and would love to compare...

Facts and Figures:

Q1) Best MPG before having to re-fuel again:

46.0 mpg

Q2) Engine:

2.0 D-4D

Accelerating and cruising:

Q3) Urban (30/40mph) / Carriageways (+60mph roads):

90 % Urban / 10% Carriageways (often stationary in traffic though)

Q4) How often do you put the foot down all the way to have fun:

A. At least 2 or 3 times a journey.

Q5) How hard to you accelerate when your driving normally (Slower than other cars on average, the same, faster than other cars on average):

A. About the same as other cars on average but some times slower

Q6) When do you change gear?:

In a 30 zone: Accelerate 20-30 in 3rd gear and cruise in 4th

In a 40 zone: Accelerate 30-40 in 4th gear and cruise in 5th

In 60mph: Accelerate 40-50 in 5th gear and cruise in 5th

Braking:

Q7) Do you anticipate having to slow down when you see a red light traffic lights ahead of the car(s) in front and ease of early or are you a brake happy?

Ease off

Q8) Do you use the brake pedal on motorways and dual carnageways or ease off? Braking is often used because one is unable to judge the speed of the car in front (you know who are aren’t otherwise put down that you do use the brake pedal).

Ease off

Any other tips for getting more MPG?

Facts and Figures:

26.8 mpg (crap)

Q2) Engine:

2.0 D-4D with DPF

Q3) Urban (40mph) / Carriageways (+60mph roads):

90 % Urban / 10% Carriageways (mostly stationary in traffic)

A. To have fun never. But anyone who's been in italy knows that it's not uncommon to see olds driving their fiat unos on inside lanes, so I quite overtake on outside lanes (yes, in urban traffic) it happens 2-3 times per journey.

Q5) How hard to you accelerate when your driving normally (Slower than other cars on average, the same, faster than other cars on average):

A. About the same as other cars

In a 30 zone: Accelerate 20-40 (:D) in 3rd gear up to 30, then 4th and cruise in 5th

In 60mph: Accelerate 40-50 in 5th gear and cruise in 6th

Braking:

Q7) Do you anticipate having to slow down when you see a red light traffic lights ahead of the car(s) in front and ease of early or are you a brake happy?

I ease off, plus I put the gear lever into neutral when I see a red light.

Q8) Do you use the brake pedal on motorways and dual carnageways or ease off? Braking is often used because one is unable to judge the speed of the car in front (you know who are aren’t otherwise put down that you do use the brake pedal).

Ease off

Don't buy an auris :)

I think an important figure should be how long is the average journey (mine is about 14 km a day, divided into 2 7km separate journeys), as it influences mileage a lot (cold starts means more fuel gets consumed to heat the engine), and if the car is equipped with a DPF.

On highway cruising I do much better mileage. At 130 km/h (80 mi/h) I do 16 km/l, which is 37.6mpg. And that's the very best I can do.

j0t I have similar cold starts all the time. How on earth do you get such more MPG!!!? Did you verify your on board computer with measuring your miles and how much Diesel you put in? Something does not add up. My dad has the same engine in his Avensis and can do 57mpg.

Actually I think my poor mileage is due to the fact that I drive mostly on urban roads, with frequent stops and slow speeds, and also I drive short distances... Anyways I always trusted the onboard computer, but I think there's something wrong with it. Last time my "low fuel" warning came on, I filled up about 40 l of diesel, which could mean the fuel gauge has to be calibrated

Anyways:

18032008050sf1.th.jpg

I don't know MPG but when the LOW FUEL warning goes on, trip counter is usually between 750 and 850 kilometers.

Average Fuel Consumption: 5.5 liters at 100 kilometers on trip computer.

Q2) Engine:

1.4 D-4D but she's still at 2500 kilometers, I'm sure I can get more after 10.000.

90 % Urban / 10% Carriageways however I usually stuck in the traffic for 1.5 hours a week, which means stopping and going a couple meters on 1st gear then stopping, waiting more and going again on 1st gear.

A. Not much, I don't need to floor it because staying in the powerband is suffice. Also my car is at only 2500 kilometers now so I don't want to labour it before 10.000 kilometers.

A. Usually faster than other cars, sometimes same.

Between 2000 and 2200 usually but I change from 4th to 5th between 2200 and 2400, other gears are between 2000-2200. Also depending on the road I change in 2400 or even 2600 if I have to when going uphill.

Braking:

I ease off but put a tiny bit of pressure onto the brake pedal, just enough to light the brake lights so the car behind me could see them.

I ease off but if there's a car coming too close behind me or too fast, I put a tiny bit of pressure onto brake pedal to warn them by lighting my brake lights, but I practically still ease off.

-When I'm going downhill, I take my foot off of the pedal when the car is in the correct gear depending of the rev.

-I don't start A/C if the engine temperature thing comes to the normal place, I mean I don't start A/C when the engine is cold.

-I change gears at 1900-2100 when the engine is cold, only change between 2100-2300 from 4th to 5th gear.

-I try to park with the less possible number of maneuvers and try to get out the same way.

-I try not to stop going uphill.

-I never go under 1600, at least I try not to.

-I don't open windows going over 40 Km/h.

-I turn off the A/C while parking.

j0t I have similar cold starts all the time. How on earth do you get such more MPG!!!? Did you verify your on board computer with measuring your miles and how much Diesel you put in? Something does not add up. My dad has the same engine in his Avensis and can do 57mpg.

Could you please tell me, on average, what mpg you get when cruising at 30mph? I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with the engine: I do poor mpg, plus the sound is more lorry-like than other common rail diesels (it was like this from day 1)... Having tried many other diesel cars with similarly sized diesel engines (a Fiat Grande Punto 1.9 Multijet - the absolute best, no wonder it's the best as they invented common rail, a 2004 Nissan Primera 2.2 dCi, a 2003 Audi A4 1.9 TDI Pumpe Düse)... the Auris is the absolute noisiest. The dealer said it's the normal noise of the engine, but still I think it's a bit too noisy (i recorded it: could you please tell me if it sound like yours?)...

Could you please tell me, on average, what mpg you get when cruising at 30mph?
When I shift into 4th traveling at 31mph I get 50 to 70 and even 99.9MPG on my display provided the road is level or down hill but can drop allot when going up hill.
I recorded it could you please tell me if it sound like yours?)...
Nice video. Miles per gallon on the display are way too low but I could not get a feel for the engine sound that sounded normal... but at high speed the car is almost silent. I would however seek another opinion. You may have labored the engine occasionally towards the end.

I recorded it could you please tell me if it sound like yours?)...
Nice video. Miles per gallon on the display are way too low

Not miles per gallon, but km per litre :)

but I could not get a feel for the engine sound that sounded normal...

I know, there's too much cabin noise in the video to feel the real engine noise... perhaps I should open the bonnet and record the engine from outside the car...

You may have labored the engine occasionally towards the end.

I did, actually. I was at a busy crossing and I had to get out fast... or die there of old age :)

You see, the problem is that I don't completely trust my local dealer, but I *have* to go there because all the toyota dealerships in a 30km radius from my home are owned by the same company... I would have to go far too far to get another opinion about my car...

FYI, putting the car into neutral can actually increase consumption. Most modern engines kill the fuel supply when the engine is being driven by the wheels. when you goto neutral, fuel has to be supplied to keep the engine running.

So try for a month not going into neutral and see what difference it makes.

FYI, putting the car into neutral can actually increase consumption. Most modern engines kill the fuel supply when the engine is being driven by the wheels. when you goto neutral, fuel has to be supplied to keep the engine running.

So try for a month not going into neutral and see what difference it makes.

hi

Your's statement is very odd.

In "neutral" the engine works in the lowest rpm, so how it can be that " putting the car into neutral can actually increase consumption ".?

Secondly: while you stop completley in the red light -I think It's better to be in N mode and to push up the handbrakes = It's better to lower the consumption+realese the gearbox and the brakes system.

Don't you think so ?

When a car is in gear, and the wheels are driving the engine with no acceleration pedal input, the wheels drive the engine and no fuel is needed to keep the engine running. When you go into neutral, the clutch disengages and fuel is needed to keep the engine running.

When a car is in gear, and the wheels are driving the engine with no acceleration pedal input, the wheels drive the engine and no fuel is needed to keep the engine running. When you go into neutral, the clutch disengages and fuel is needed to keep the engine running.

That exactly what I mean, although technically the clutch is engaged, but no gear is selected, so the motor is using fuel to rotate itself and a drive splindle into the gearbox. No cogs are engaged inside the box so no output power to the drive wheels.

@Auris2008, of course when you are *stopped* (and not just at lights ;) ) you need to disengage the clutch/gears or you will stall :rolleyes: The SMT version you dont have those worries :lol:

And if only everyone would use their handbrake instead of footbrake when stopped at traffic lights, we wouldn't get dazzled by having stare at the blaze of brake lights shining into our faces! B)

Thanks for the suggestion about neutral, I'll try decelerating in gear...

And if only everyone would use their handbrake instead of footbrake when stopped at traffic lights, we wouldn't get dazzled by having stare at the blaze of brake lights shining into our faces! B)

I do use the handbrake at traffic lights, but I noticed that most of the times I stop at traffic lights the brake isn't necessary at all...

Fuel is always needed to keep the engine running. If the engine is running it is using fuel regardless of situation and can never be on without using fuel. (Maybe I laboured that point a little there).

The harder an engine is working the more fuel it needs (i.e. before it warms up or in cold temps, accelerating, pulling a heavy load or extra weight in car etc).

In the situation above when you use the mechanical resistance of the engine only to slow down the car is using its momentum only for travelling forward before coming to a stop but the engine still needs fuel, just not as much (only needs enough fuel to turn it over at the required rpm.) When a car engine is on it is using least fuel at tick over. I.e. in neutral with your foot off the accelerator. If you don't believe me then set your trip computer to show instant / current mpg, get your car upto speed and then put your car into neutral (or just put foot on clutch), take foot off accelerator and just use the cars momentum to coast. It's illegal to "coast" but watch your mpg shoot up off the scale. You will get similar mpg just taking your foot off the accelerator and leaving it in gear but the car will slow down much quicker. Of course though if you are stationary your mpg will always be zero with the engine on because you are burning fuel and not going anywhere...I must be really bored at work to have explained that! :D

48.8mpg

Q2) Engine:

2.0 D-4D

30% urban / 60% carriageways

Not a lot, depends on what the others are doing around me. Probably once a trip on average.

About average, occasionally faster to avoid getting clogged up with the traffic.

Generally between 2500 and 3000rpm. Occasionally towards 3500rpm.

In a 30 zone: Accelerate in 3rd gear and cruise in 4th

In a 40 zone: Accelerate in 3rd gear and cruise in 4th or 5th

In 60mph: Accelerate through the gears and cruise in 6th at 60 or over

Braking:

Ease off

Ease off

Dunno, just seem to drive it normally. Can't say I get into any kind of 'fuel-conservation' measures. Not particularly trying to get high mpg and have not yet had the low fuel warning come on before 450 miles. I normally get 470-480 miles from the tank before I start getting scared, then fill up with about £50-£55 worth. Currently at about 1300 miles total and about 100 miles short of emptying the 3rd tank. Maybe the higher percentage of cruising driving helps, but even then a lot of that dual-carriageway is split up by quite a number of roundabouts.

Guess I'm just lucky! :D