Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Owner Going Mr2

kevinsane

Hey everyone....had trouble finding good mr2 forums...hope you guys could help out. Well currently I'm a 1994 Celica GT owner....what could I say...I fell in love with it's looks....Being baffled with the lack of power I've noticed alot of people go with the 3sgte swap....I thought about it for a long time...so instead I'm just going to save up for a whole Mr2 itself instead of the engine....

Can anyone give me any advice? especially some results from certain mods you do to the mr2....I'm saving money already and hope to be part of the club...thanks...

Welcome aboard matey...

A good number of MR2 ownbers on the forum and some good technical knowledge, what type of 2 are you going for and which mods are you looking at doing ?

As Ryan said, welcome to the board mate B)

With your mention of a 3SGTE engine I presume you are looking for a turbo.

Personally I think the Rev3 Tubby is the best option not only aesthetically (round rear lights and one piece spoiler) but also for performance as the Rev3 has a higher bhp figure than the Rev1/2 & 5 versions. Tubbys are only available as imports so be prepared for the higher insurance premiums and running costs. The Rev2's are not bad - improved handling due to larger rims (15") and uprated suspension.

I know someone who has a Black Rev2 with turbo conversion for sale as he wants a bike???? I think he's mad...

Here's a pic:

mine2.jpg

Email me off list for more info

As Ryan said, welcome to the board mate B)

With your mention of a 3SGTE engine I presume you are looking for a turbo.

Personally I think the Rev3 Tubby is the best option not only aesthetically (round rear lights and one piece spoiler) but also for performance as the Rev3 has a higher bhp figure than the Rev1/2 & 5 versions. Tubbys are only available as imports so be prepared for the higher insurance premiums and running costs. The Rev2's are not bad - improved handling due to larger rims (15") and uprated suspension.

I know someone who has a Black Rev2 with turbo conversion for sale as he wants a bike???? I think he's mad...

Here's a pic:

mine2.jpg

Email me off list for more info

the rev5 has a lower BHP than the rev3, What the heck is all that about???

I have a rev3 n/a what is the BHP of a rev5 n/a??

Model BHP Years available How to tell them apart

Coupe 119bhp 1990-1992 No rear spoiler, 14" wheels

GT Coupe 158bhp 1990-1994 Rear spoiler, sunroof, 14" wheels, square rear light cluster

GT T-Bar 158bhp 1990-1994 Rear spoiler, removable roof panels, 14"wheels, square rear light cluster

GT Coupe 175bhp 1994-1998 Rear spoiler, sunroof, 15" wheels, round rear light cluster

GT T-Bar 175bhp 1994-1998 Rear spoiler, removable roof panels, 15" wheels, round rear light cluster

10th Aniv 175bhp 1995 Wooden steering wheel, chrome kick plates, different wheels, 10th aniv Badge

GT Coupe 175bhp 1998-2000 Round spoke 15" wheels, large adjustable rear spoiler, clear front light cluster

If you can make that out.

don't forget

rev 1/2 turbos with 220bhp

rev 3 on turbos with 241bhp

rev 5 n/a with beams engine 200bhp

that black one is running 270+bhp, rev 3 lights. forged pistons, just rebuilt, stage 3 turbo, blitz exhaust plus other stuff for £4.5k i think. absolute beast.

MR2 N/A's:

Coupe 120bhp were only made in 1989 -1990 but were available until 92. No Spoiler 14" alloys

Rev1 158bhp 1991 - 1992 14" alloys, three piece spoiler. Tintop, Sunroof & T-Bar

Rev2 158bhp 1992 - 1993 Revised suspesion, 15" alloys, three piece spoiler. Tintop, sunrrof & T-Bar

Rev3 175bhp 1994 - 1996 Uprated suspension (again), 15" alloys. ABS Standard, round tail lights, single piece spoiler. Tintop, sunroof & T-Bar.

Rev4 158bhp 1996 - 1998 As Rev3 but with airbags as standard and clear front indicator lenses

10th anv. special edition as per Johns spec but with 158bhp and gear knob different.

Rev5 158bhp 1998 - 2000 As Rev4 but with adjustable spoiler.

Rev5 200bhp Beams 2000 (I think there were also only a limited number made)

Aesthetically the differences on tubbies were identical to the N/A's with the exception of the raised engine lid on all models.

I think the bhp figures are as Schreech stated.

Taken from the other post with all the differences etc:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...=38&t=6915&st=0

The 3rd gen 3sge, consisted of different

cams, larger valves, a variable length intake manifold with a step effect were the manifold meets the head, in order to enhance the swirl characteristics of the intake charge.The headers were of larger diameter but shorter length, to aid top end power.

Power was up about 12kw at 129kw(173hp)@7000rpm

(previously 117kw(157hp)@6500rpm).The difference on the road wasn't that noticeable over the previous gen 3sge till at least 5200rpm were the acoustic control system did its jig and openened the second intake track to take advantage of the new engine's mods.In late '95 the compression was lowered back to 10:1 in order to meet the new emission standards and as a result the power came back to 125kw(167hp)@7000rpm .

N/A

2nd gen JDM 3SGE ~ 160hp

3rd gen JDM 3SGE ~ 175hp

4th gen JDM 3SGE ~ 200hp, 21.0kg-m of torque. (beams.....MR2 has the red head, Altezza the black head) There was only ever 1000 MR2 beams motors made.

And that the MAJOR difference is with the Beams version....not much difference between the earlier two but IF your gonna go NA and money wan't an issue the Beams is the way to go.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Personally I think the Rev3 Tubby is the best option not only aesthetically (round rear lights and one piece spoiler) but also for performance as the Rev3 has a higher bhp figure than the Rev1/2 & 5 versions

Everyone is talking about the NA power figures but to me the above statement reads the TURBO version of the rev5 has less BHP than the rev3? Is this true? I thought they were the same rev3 onwards.

And about that 270bhp black rev2... BIG props for keeping the exterior standard lol its even running standard ride hieght hehe what a sleeper of a car :thumbsup:

Everyone is talking about the NA power figures but to me the above statement reads the TURBO version of the rev5 has less BHP than the rev3? Is this true? I thought they were the same rev3 onwards.

As far as Im aware there they have the same power output from the 1st Gen III to the last 99 one....GT-T caldina has a bit more power etc.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Ah so my best bet is the rev 3....how easy are they to find here in America? I've been doing some research for used cars on autodeals.com and none of them report what revision they are.....

how easy are they to find here in America?

HARD......the easiest & most common practice over there is to drop the Gen III engine into a US-spec Gen II......or Gen III if you want the suspension updates etc.

Cheers

KiwiMR2